Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System >

Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Novak Super Sport Brushless Motor System

Old 10-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Default B4 Overheating

Hi, Haven't got any respond from the last post, so I'll try to explain it again further.

I got the BL recently and is loving it. It has more power than I can handle.... for now . I've installed it on XXX-S and ran great without any problem, the final ratio is ~7.5.

My B4 is a different story. Firstable, I can't find a spot to mount the esc except on top of the battery, otherwise the ESC will touch the body. Secondly, the over-heating is becoming a problem. I'm running at the recommended ~9 ratio, but it still overheats atleast twice on a pack of battery. Any comments are welcome.

HELP!

Old 10-08-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think you're way over geared. I'm running an 11.61. Granted, that's on a short track in a XXXT, not a buggie, but I think you probably need to be in the mid ten range at least. Gear it back a little and try it. As far as the mounting, the only thing I can think of is cutting a hole in the body. Maybe this will also help in cooling the heat sink allowing more air to flow across it. I wouldn't want my ESC exposed but I also wouldn't want it sitting on top of the battery. Kind of defeats the entire low CG design of a B4.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by jkerr0043
I think you're way over geared. I'm running an 11.61. Granted, that's on a short track in a XXXT, not a buggie, but I think you probably need to be in the mid ten range at least. Gear it back a little and try it. As far as the mounting, the only thing I can think of is cutting a hole in the body. Maybe this will also help in cooling the heat sink allowing more air to flow across it. I wouldn't want my ESC exposed but I also wouldn't want it sitting on top of the battery. Kind of defeats the entire low CG design of a B4.
Thanks, I'll try ~11 ratio and see if there is any improvement.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Anybody have any information about the new SS4300 "stock" version? Other than what's available at:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/MOTOR/ss4300.htm

Novak's site says "soon." Any idea how soon is soon? Are they talking about October? 2003?

I race stock and am considering buying a better ESC and a lathe. If I can buy the brushless SS4300 (and my track lets me use it) then I'll end up much better off.

Anybody know anything that they can share?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...076#post544076
Old 10-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally posted by TopRowSeat
Anybody have any information about the new SS4300 "stock" version? Other than what's available at:

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/MOTOR/ss4300.htm

Novak's site says "soon." Any idea how soon is soon? Are they talking about October? 2003?

I race stock and am considering buying a better ESC and a lathe. If I can buy the brushless SS4300 (and my track lets me use it) then I'll end up much better off.

Anybody know anything that they can share?
They are available and I've been using one at our local track running Pro Stock with it, has a slight bit more tork than a Monster but a good monster can be slightly faster on a longer straight. BUT the great news is NO cutting the comm

but check with your track first - the super sport model was too fast to run against stock even in the limited mode. this one you do not have to run in the limited mode -
Old 10-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Tech Initiate

I also have been looking at the novak stock motor. Have you noticed any change in the way you gear the motor?? I was thinking with the lower wattage motor that you would be able to gear lower and still not over heat the speedcontroller. Please let me know.... Thanks!!!
Old 10-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by hooked911
I also have been looking at the novak stock motor. Have you noticed any change in the way you gear the motor?? I was thinking with the lower wattage motor that you would be able to gear lower and still not over heat the speedcontroller. Please let me know.... Thanks!!!
Haven't had any overheating problems . . . . but you can overgear to the point of actually going slower with it and then it will get quite hot. even so i haven't experienced a failure.
Its like having a nearly perfect stock motor run after run
Old 10-12-2003, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

any1 experienced any glitching problems with the BL?...
if i'm not wrong,the novak ss5800 has fail-safe rite?after i switch my radio from my 3pk to KO ex1-mars,the fail-safe doesn't seems to work...
also,my friend is experiencing glitching with his 3pk on HRS,mine's on PCM...help pls...
Old 10-12-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

also,they experience a problem whereby the car will throotle,then brake,throttle,then brake...seems veri odd...
my friend's car even went into reverse when we were on program 2 without reverse...
Old 10-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Hi ijnek, i also experience the jerky motion on my brushless sometime back. It seems my capacitor was dead already...i have yet to change my capacitor, but i guess its worth trying. Hope that helps.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

dead capacitor? I'm with ijnek and i just bought the BL...
tat testing was the virgin run... hmmmm...

another question though,
would a satellite dish in the precint cause any glitching problems???
Old 10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

hey guys - i would suggest you contact Novak via email or call them for support/suggestions especially if these are new. I've not had the experience your mentioning.
been racing one since early this year without issues in both a losi xxxs-g, EVOIII and barracuda R2

Contact Novak best bet
Old 10-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

okay, thanks for advising.

I had just emailed them and now awaiting a reply...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Got an email back from novak, still need to test out their recommendations...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.