Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-full5.jpg  
Old 05-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Tech Champion

Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-rroc.jpg  
Old 05-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Regional Moderator

nice pictures but where is the rubber diff that everyone is going on about and the car looks to be bone stock except for the sway bar kit and upper shaft holders not even a speedway motor mount
Old 05-26-2003, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Yes Ko it is incredibly close to kit spec, says alot about the car I think

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 09-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-top6.jpg  
Old 05-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
Yes Ko it is incredibly close to kit spec, says alot about the car I think
I AGREE the Alex car is SWEET!! that is why I have 3 of them
are any of you guys out west testing any more spools?
Old 05-26-2003, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Nice car looks like you're running plenty of weights, what cells were you using? and what electronics? (servo included) must be pretty light stuff, and if you're running 3300GP's I'm going to faint, or cry since it looks like 50grams you've added.

I think I may start running without diff covers but I'm just not sure. My local track is on a car park and found it very dirty tonight, after practising for one run I found I had a bind in my drivetrain, took the car half apart to find a tiny stone embedded in the front one way diff bevel gear. My small bevel gear looks alittle messy now but is runable, just annoying having to take half the car apart to get to the stone. Having the diffs off would be easier but do they keep most of the junk out or keep what gets in, in where it causes trouble also whats the easiest way to modify the steering posts to allow for the lower topdeck?
Old 05-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Ok, I have a technical question.....I am frankly fed up with this car at the moment, but it may be my own fault. I have an R2 with the Pal drive system installed an Im having a very annoying problem. First off after installing the Pal system the driveline got louder, with more resistance in the driveline and its very apparent the front input shaft is wobbling....at least a few 1/1000s..at least. I have since got new input gears, and new shaft holders...still wobbling...and loud. Now after its first race day I went through 2 front diff gears and 3 input gears....the diff gear is chipping almost as if the oneway gear and the input gear are slipping. The input gear is wearing weird....it has the smaller part or front worn down, and the top or thicker part of the gear almost worn to a point. Now I have been racing sedans for 7 years....I consider myself a compitent builder and have had a few shaft cars, but Im stumped. I have the driveline shimmed correctly...it has a very small amount of "play" so the driveline is free, but not loose. What Ive noticed while driving it is when getting on the car coming out of the corner its clicking once or twice hard.....????

Now please don't tell me I need the aluminum shaft holders.....I already have close to 500 in this car and as far as Im concerned it should be a tank....its just built that way....Oh and even with the Pal system I stripped the spur gear....and it was a light tap on a fire hose!!! Someone please point me in the right direction...Steve??Redbullfix??? Its very close to having a new home..lol
Old 05-26-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

I'm back!!!! And we did it!!!! Congratulations to David Berger for taking 2nd place at the Reedy Race of Champions 19T spec class. Awesome driving, absolutely awesome. In the final triple A-main, David was one of the fastest guy on the track, and came back from 4th position to nearly taking the win at the end (he was behind the 1st place by only a few feet). Congratulations once again to David, thank you for all the time and effort you put in these past couple of months. We came a long way in the short amount of time that we have.

Interesting thing, not a single TC3 or Losi in the A-main!

elnitro,

You'll have to ask David's permission for the "rubber diff" setup. I'm sure he'll be posting on here soon.

JDM,

The owner of FLAP was one of the visitors from Japan for us, and he helped us with setup and other racing preparation over the weekend. I believe we will soon be carrying FLAP parts as well by the way, we were looking at the same picture online last night at the office, and I believe he mentioned that brace was for the older cuda. I'll see him later on today and I'll check with him.

I have more news for you guys, which I'll post later, right now, I need to recover from the race.

Steve Wang
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you'll be getting the FLAP stuff new too...!!

Man I'm going to be broke here soon..

-Dave

P.S. What stuff did they bring to the States Steve

Old 05-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

The wobbling could point to the shaft not being aligned or the shaft is a bit loos. There should be 2 o-rings provided with kit and this should reduce the play in the drive train. Try adding another o-ring to one of the cups to see if you can reduce the play. I personally allow for play in the drive train to minimise the chance of damaging the shaft in a head on collision. This results in my drive train producing a slight clicking sound everytime i spin it slowly. When the car is on full throttle the sound dissapears.

As for the diff gears stripping, maybe you have shimmed the one way a bit too much. You may need to mesh the gears a bit tighter.

I'm not a particularly good driver and I don't have the alloy shaft holders. However my car has survived multiple head on crashes into concrete barriers with no wear on the gears (just ask JohnA)

I haven't yet stripped a spur gear in the car but I also set meshing for durability rather than all out performance.

Maybe Dave or Steve can assist you further??

Originally posted by CIVIC91
Ok, I have a technical question.....I am frankly fed up with this car at the moment, but it may be my own fault. I have an R2 with the Pal drive system installed an Im having a very annoying problem. First off after installing the Pal system the driveline got louder, with more resistance in the driveline and its very apparent the front input shaft is wobbling....at least a few 1/1000s..at least. I have since got new input gears, and new shaft holders...still wobbling...and loud. Now after its first race day I went through 2 front diff gears and 3 input gears....the diff gear is chipping almost as if the oneway gear and the input gear are slipping. The input gear is wearing weird....it has the smaller part or front worn down, and the top or thicker part of the gear almost worn to a point. Now I have been racing sedans for 7 years....I consider myself a compitent builder and have had a few shaft cars, but Im stumped. I have the driveline shimmed correctly...it has a very small amount of "play" so the driveline is free, but not loose. What Ive noticed while driving it is when getting on the car coming out of the corner its clicking once or twice hard.....????

Now please don't tell me I need the aluminum shaft holders.....I already have close to 500 in this car and as far as Im concerned it should be a tank....its just built that way....Oh and even with the Pal system I stripped the spur gear....and it was a light tap on a fire hose!!! Someone please point me in the right direction...Steve??Redbullfix??? Its very close to having a new home..lol
Old 05-26-2003, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

NOOOOOO!!!! not more stuff to buy
I don't think I'll be getting any replacement woven graphite bits, not this year atleast
I still want the Speedway PAL Drive system but can't afford it then an alloy shaft holder would be nice, just to match the one in the rear. Plus I really want to change some more of those annoying philips head screws to titanium hex heads, just trying to find the Tamiya ones in the UK seems impossible

wish I had something to look at to take my mind off of spending.......

Old 05-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by itchynads
The wobbling could point to the shaft not being aligned or the shaft is a bit loos. There should be 2 o-rings provided with kit and this should reduce the play in the drive train. Try adding another o-ring to one of the cups to see if you can reduce the play. I personally allow for play in the drive train to minimise the chance of damaging the shaft in a head on collision. This results in my drive train producing a slight clicking sound everytime i spin it slowly. When the car is on full throttle the sound dissapears.

As for the diff gears stripping, maybe you have shimmed the one way a bit too much. You may need to mesh the gears a bit tighter.

I'm not a particularly good driver and I don't have the alloy shaft holders. However my car has survived multiple head on crashes into concrete barriers with no wear on the gears (just ask JohnA)

I haven't yet stripped a spur gear in the car but I also set meshing for durability rather than all out performance.

Maybe Dave or Steve can assist you further??

I'm working on some soultion for His problem right now... I hope that I can help him out ...But for the PAL drive system I use 3 o-rings the 2 black and one clear oneit seems to be the best match between tight and loose

-Dave
Old 05-26-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Let me clarify....there is no play in the pal system...I have both o rings in. The small amount of play..and I do mean small....just enough to have about 1mm rock between the input gear and the oneway gear. I don't think that thats overdoing it...I had twice that amount in my FT TC3, and never ruined any gears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.