Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much wheel wobble is acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default How much wheel wobble is acceptable?

Hi All,

I have a new TB-02, and I am not pleased to see that two of the wheels show what I consider too much "wobble"- as if the axle shaft was bent, and the tires wobble back and forth about 1.5mm at the tread surface. When I throttle up to full, it looks to mostly go away, but still.. On a duratrax work stand, the car will vibrate while throttling up from the wheels wobbling. This can't be right..

What do you guys see on your cars? I don't think it would be impossible to get almost perfect wheel rotation. I've been swapping parts around between good and wobble wheels, and so far I suspect that the axle shafts on the affected wheels must not have the pin-hole (that holds the pin that goes into the hex plate) drilled at a perpendicular angle to the shaft.

I've got new axle shafts (and CVP parts too) on order, but I am just trying to see if a little play is acceptable or normal..

Jason
Old 12-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Usually the more wobble the more grip you will lose when cornering on that area of the car. Local racing you can get away with a little wobble. The funny thing was one of the last qualifiers I ran I had 3 broken wheels by the end of the race two of them had around 1/4" wobble. Still won although the car was a handfull to drive.

If you run the car slowly with the wheels and hex hubs off you usually can see a bent axle.

More than likely the culprit would be the plastic hex hubs that come with the car. If you can goto Alum ones they will work better.

If the wheels are Tamiya's and have been ran before you might have a bent rim.