Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

I read somewhere else that the relationship between three-figure japanese oils and two-figure SAE oils isn't actually linear, the viscosity is measured in different ways, so the "take off 50 and divide by ten" thing is no more than a rule of thumb, it's not actually accurate.

I do think 450 and 40wt are similar enough to use as a starting setup - but I wouldn't put 450 in the front and 40wt in the rear and expect the same damping.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: MR4TC-SD Black Special

Originally posted by DoCoMo
Yokomo will be showing a new Black Carbon Graphite car at Shizuoka Hobby Show this month. It sounds like a molded(tub) chassi that is stiffer than SSG will be used for a kit. Available in Japan around end of May. I am sure we will hear more about this car later.
D.
Ok I was wrong. It looks like it is a Black carbon rather than Silver and little bit stiffer chassi. I think it will come out in June in Japan.
D.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-sd-black.jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default Also....

They showed a Aluminum Sus. Mount and battery posts.
These are samples and no dates for production yet.
D.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo MR-4TC SD-alum.-sus.mout..jpg  
Old 05-15-2003, 07:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've always heard the "take off the 0, then minus 5=__wt." formula. Its been around so long now, that if it isn't accurate, I would hope that someone from Yokomo would have told someone it was wrong by now.

So I think its about as accurate a translation as your gonna get.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:15 AM
Regional Moderator

Great pics DoCoMo.

That black graphite car doesn't seem to have that same.......luster that the SSG car has.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

SHOCK OIL.

I took the shocks apart today to replace the shafts with 3mm longer titanium ones - HPI. With 3mm droop front & rear I now have slightfree play in the springs when the shocks are extended, which is what I was aiming for.

I refilled all 4 shocks with AE 40 oil, which as Sosidge says, should be close enough to the kit 450.

FRONT ONE WAY.

I tried fitting the front one way from the BD MR4 but unfortunately it's just 3 or 4 mm too short. I fitted the crown wheel and the mesh is perfect, but there are plenty of other problems. So I expect I will have to wait for the real thing.

GEARING.

I'm still not happy. I seem to keep lowering the gearing and the car is actually getting progressively quicker. The point is that I am running much lower gearing than I run on the BD car. I'm down to about the same lap times, the car rolls much more freely than the BD car, the comm and brushes don't seem to blue at all, but the straight line speed, which I thought would be the biggest advantage of the SD, doesn't seem any better. If I raise the gearing it's no faster in a straight line, it just looses out on initial acceleration.

I've now done about 25 packs with it, and everything looks good and tight.

I'll be down at the track again this evening and will report back. There are always 3 or 4 guys there with the same control stock motors so comparing performance is easy and accurate.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by johnbull
Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

GEARING.

I'm still not happy. I seem to keep lowering the gearing and the car is actually getting progressively quicker. The point is that I am running much lower gearing than I run on the BD car. I'm down to about the same lap times, the car rolls much more freely than the BD car, the comm and brushes don't seem to blue at all, but the straight line speed, which I thought would be the biggest advantage of the SD, doesn't seem any better. If I raise the gearing it's no faster in a straight line, it just looses out on initial acceleration.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
I liked the feel that I got from my car when I ran it last weekend. I started at 23/70 dropped one tooth from where started at to 22/70, I didn't loose any top end, but the low end acceleration and speed were noticably improved. This allowed the motor to run cooler, without loosing any speed. The car is very efficient!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

This is really a fast moving forum. I had always thought that 450wt oil would be 45wt here in the states. I think I will just use Yokomo oils so I don't have to worry about doing any transition to different weights by using stateside oils. I just began to build the car, and it is coming together beautifully, are there any tips or tricks you guys would share that will make the car come out nicer when it's done? I have already sanded and sealed all of the graphite, and put in a 5'th body post where the stock antenna mount is.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Darkseid
Great pics DoCoMo.

That black graphite car doesn't seem to have that same.......luster that the SSG car has.
Thanks,
Yea I like Silver, too.
BTW, i am running a 25/70 on my stock motor car for a tight carpet track and it is working great for me. I have not tried on outdoor yet but mostlikely a differrence of one tooth(+ or -) on pinion gear.
D.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Docomo: The black chassis looks nice!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default black graphite sd

is the only difference the material of the chassis?everything looks the same in shape (shock towers look the same)
is the plastic different (stronger, softer)??
any release date for the molded chassis version?

looks cool in black too .
Old 05-15-2003, 10:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: black graphite sd

Originally posted by utieh
is the only difference the material of the chassis?everything looks the same in shape (shock towers look the same)
is the plastic different (stronger, softer)??
any release date for the molded chassis version?

looks cool in black too .
utieh,
I am wondering a same thing. I'll try to find out more from Japan, or may be someone else might know.
D.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:15 PM
Tech Addict

DoCoMo, where did you find the link for the black SD. I need a close up on that body.

Here is the Kai version:

Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

already a kai version
i guess the arms/hub carriers/susp mounts have been borrowed from the evo3 .
Old 05-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Barry White
DoCoMo, where did you find the link for the black SD. I need a close up on that body.

Here is the Kai version:

Kai version is very nice! Yesterday was a Media/Dealer's day at Shizuoka Hobby show and got a picture from one of a Dealer site in Japan. Sorry no close up yet, but I am sure that after this weeknd (when it will be open to a public), it will be many more pictures of a car/new product. I'll keep an eye on it.
D.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.