Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

Yokomo MR-4TC SD

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

i also was a bit tentative when putting the second servo mounting screw on my SD you have to tighten it to get it flush but it feels like it is going to go straight through the chassis
Old 12-04-2003, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Tweak Station and Front Suspension Mount Issues

My car is also tweaked in the same manner as some of you guys have mentioned but I have always used a tweak station on this car and others to balance it out. If you set the ride height, droop and shocks the same the car will still be off balance/and or tweaked. When you use the tweak station and adjust each shock as neccessary one or 2 will have more preload, that is how you are fixing the balance, by putting more weight on one corner to match the other. So the shock colars will be screwed down different amounts. You can add weights but that is very difficult to get right. My friends and I have tried for hours before with digital scales, its a PITA and now i have 4 brand new digital scales collecting dust lol! Plus you are adding more weight to the car, Just take your time with the Tweak and dont let it bother you that the ride heigth has a .5mm difference, its better to have a balanced car.

Front Suspension mount rubbing the bellcrank ball cups...

My car also did this to the point where it would lock up the steering. Dont sand or remove material from the suspension mount. It is allready very thin plastic and you will just open the hole up for the hinge pin to come through. I bought the yokomo aluminum Front Rear suspension mount and the problem was solved.

Blake
Old 12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So what do you want to sell the scales for??!!
Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I use an MIP tweak station to set the car up, the scales were way to difficult. I think that if you use 2 of them on one of the setup type boards it might work but i was about ready to pull my hair out :P

Blake
Old 12-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm interested in buying the scales...how much do you want for them?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default this is what i've discovered

after driving my car last night, i discovered that the bubble in the middle (on the mip tweak station) is more important than having all 4 corners equal in ride height. this is how my "controlled" experiment worked:

1st i started with a new black sd chassis set up the same way i've been driving my ssg chassis. 2nd i ran my car (as randman had suggested) with my ride height @ 5mm all around. the bubble on the tweak station was to the left...far left! it pushed to the right, and oversteered to the left. 3rd i retweaked the car so that now the bubble was in the middle. the car was real neutral - no oversteer to one side or understeer to the other side.

now here's where it gets interesting. the first time i had tweaked my car, i used my set up wheels to achieve the 5mm all around. being lazy, when i retweaked the car, i used the wheels i was driving with and now, mysteriously, the ride height was 5 mm all around. well, almost (not enough of a disparity to make a difference).

now in my prior post, i was tweaking with my setup wheels and i was getting the different ride heights in the different corners.

anyway, that's my 2 bits. hopefully, it was of some help to y'all.

herb
Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I've had some pretty bad luck with the tweak station in the past, couldn't get it to work for a damn, but I may have to borrow someone's at the track. I know that Chris T doesn't use one, he just eyeballs the setup, and we all know that he's just a little bit fast on the track...
Old 12-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

I have the integy setup with the laser, I really don't rely much on the bubble level... I'll refer to the Bubble though for a minute... Mine is constantly far left, really far like someone else said... According to the scale, It's 2 to 3 lines low on the scale... To get it right, my ride heights are not constant on all 4 corners... It'll be about a MM dfference between each corner... My second thing is, I really can't do a test to see if equal ride height VS perfect tweak makes a difference on my track... It's just way too tight and way too technical... There's another HS a little drive from me, I may go there for the day and do some real testing... It's almost triple the size and I can concentrate better to attempt a test...
Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Actually the tight technical tracks should give you the most trouble if your car is tweaked...
Old 12-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

I am not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but do be careful with the laser tweakboard. The laser pointer may actually be out of tweak. To check for this, just place the tweak board assembled the normal way with the center rod in place, but with the centering marks facing DOWN on a perfectly flat board. In another words, the stands of the tweakboard facing up. The laser should be pointing at zero on the scales, since the the 2 bars are on the same plane. If not, then open up the laser compartment and adjust accordingly. This problem nearly drove me nuts trying to 'untweak' my SD.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Randman... I'm fully aware of that... But it's so hard to take your mind off just driving on this track... There is no straightaway where you can relax for a second...
Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

With my car I will set the RH then check the tweak, after adjusting tweak I will check the RH once more to see if its still close. If its out I use the marks on the shock collars to add equal amounts of preload back to the shocks.

E
Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Randman... I'm fully aware of that... But it's so hard to take your mind off just driving on this track... There is no straightaway where you can relax for a second...
But that's the best way to test stuff out, you gotta be thinking about what's happening at all times..
Old 12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randman
I've had some pretty bad luck with the tweak station in the past, couldn't get it to work for a damn, but I may have to borrow someone's at the track. I know that Chris T doesn't use one, he just eyeballs the setup, and we all know that he's just a little bit fast on the track...
totally agree with you. last time tossolini set up my car, he did everything eyeball & it worked pretty darn well. dennis lyman & i were comparing cars last night & thought it was pretty funny tossolini set us up the same. anyway, thanks randman for your suggestions. so are we gonna get that 4wd buggy class @ slocal going?
Old 12-05-2003, 11:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by DickemDown
totally agree with you. last time tossolini set up my car, he did everything eyeball & it worked pretty darn well. dennis lyman & i were comparing cars last night & thought it was pretty funny tossolini set us up the same. anyway, thanks randman for your suggestions. so are we gonna get that 4wd buggy class @ slocal going?
For 4wd, I'm just gonna buy the car for the local track down here in SD, Off-Road really isn't my thing anymore, so the only time the car will get run at slocal is when I go up for touring...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.