Which Buggy 1/8 nitro to Choose?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Buggy 1/8 nitro to Choose?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Which Buggy 1/8 nitro to Choose?????

Hi All

I need some advice on the type of buggy to choose.

I have been doing a bit of research and was first set on the 'Kyosho Inferno MP7.5 US Sports Readyset' and then read on a another forum that this might not be the best choice. They raised the following negative points about the Kyosho RTR: "RTR's leave a bit to be desired, They don't seem to bother putting good gears/plastics on them at all, The shock towers seriously lack adjustment and they will bend, The knuckles are also weak and its pretty easy to pull the threads right out of the bottom bolt, The buggy handled good if your a point and shoot kind of driver".

Some suggested the hyper 8 as a better alternative because: "you don't need to upgrade one single thing. Its all top quality (atleast the pro kit is) and it handles great".

Then some of the problems of the standard Hyper 8 RTR were detailed as follows: "the electronics that ofna puts in their buggies SUCK! I would highly recommend atleast replacing both servos right out of the box (steering if you want any steering and throttle/brake if you want any brakes). The radio is do able but I would deffinatly replace that too".

They then went on to recommend the hyper 8 pro kit, which I would therefore need to build up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am new to all of this and need some advice from people who know these buggies who can help me decide. I would go out and buy one tommorrow but don't want to regret it down the track. I want to use it recreationally for a few months to learn how to drive and then I would then like to join a club and race.

Which buggy should I go for? Any other suggestions? If it is the Hyper 8 (standard RTR) will I need to upgrade it much to race? If it is the Hyper 8 Pro kit, is there much involved in getting a buggy together (for a novice)? I understand that the Pro will cost more but might be cheaper in the long run compared to the RTR if I need to upgrade it and the radio.

SORRY FOR THE LONG MESSAGE, I WANTED TO GIVE ALL THE FACTS.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

If you want to pick and choose your engine, and radio options go with a kit.

There are a lot of good RTR's out there right now.. I race the Losi 8ight, and for my driving style.. its the best Ive ever run.

The expense will be more going with a kit... mostly because you'll put race-grade equipment into the car right off tha bat.

If you plan on racing, Id go with the bigger companies that people are running... and also take a look at what people are running at your track, that way you will have someone to go to for setup advice, parts or what have you.

Losi 8
Jammin CR FTE
Mugen MBX 5
Kyosho SP2

Those are the bigger names in the 8th scale market right now.. you will NOT go wrong with one of them.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default .

any rtr you buy will come with crap servo's out of the box

the 7.5 inferno sport is a decent but does have a lot of down falls

the engine is a turd and doesnt last long at all

when that dies you will need to buy a motor and motor mounts and header

since the stock buggy comes with a useless header unless you buy the same stock engine and the stock mounts only fit the kyosho engine

the center diff gear is also plastic my buddy got 2 tanks out of his picked up a rock and that was it for the spur gear

hyper 8 looks decent i never ran one or any of my buddies

most rtr's dont come with a race legal engine so if your looking for a fun peice to beat on the engine wouldnt matter

i would look at the losi eight rtr and the sportworks mayhem rtr or turm oil

there pretty much the best bang for the buck for rtr buggies

both come with decent radio's and the engines will take a good beating before crapping out

also check your local hobby shops for parts in stock

nothing ruins a day more then breaking something to find out you have to order parts to get up and running again
Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

The Turmoil ARR is a great buggy! The .21 v2 motor is incredible. Get the Spektrum set and you're golden.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am really impressed with the Jammin's myself. RTR's are a big letdown IMO. I would say you would be better off with a nice used race set-up.
Shameless plug here
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=140533

But if you are looking for new, the Hyper 8 Pro kit is 80% built. You need to add the things that RTR's suck at, Servos,radio gear and a mill. The cost will jump because of this, but you get what you pay for.

Also if you plan to race SOME tracks will not allow a motor bigger than .21, and most RTR's come with bigger ones. MOST tracks will allow a NOOB to race his RTR, but it is worth looking into.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Tech Addict

losi 8 rtr

jammin' rtr

hyper 8 rtr

however, go with the losi 8. it's the closest thing to a full blown race buggy you're gonna get in a rtr....with the jammin' running a very close 2nd.

forget the inferno rtr....the shock shafts are crap, the motor is ok, but only if you take out the baffle in the stock pipe...and then it won't last but about a gallon....or two at the most...and the shock towers are weak too. other than that, it has a nice looking body on it.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

you should look at the x-ray buggy they offer the xb8r, which is higher grade than a ready to run but not a full out pro kit, that way you can start out with good radio and servos and a solid plateform you can upgrade over time. The quality of x-ray is unmatched by any other buggy.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

remember we are talking rtr
If low cost and good out of the box performace and set up the new sportworks turmoil buggy is the real deal

Good easy tune powerfull motors

JR radio with the best servos for a rtr

Very good "racing" designed car

I don't have one but many people at races do and the rtr does great I've driven and worked on them.

My pro car is a storm pro cl1
Old 12-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

For a rtr I would probably go for the Losi, I have the kit version and it is a great buggy. The Jammin rtr would be my next option. Whatever you get, get some nice servos.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, the Hyper 8 pro comes pre-built, so if you are dead set against building (which isn't that hard after all, if you can't build a buggy I don't know how you'll get by racing...) it would be a good choice. I run an Xray XB8 TQ myself, but the XB8R is really an awsome choice for a beginner, the materials used are amazingly good. Of course the Kyosho, Mugen, Hyper, and Jammin are all also good cars. Xray is the number one brand in Canada, which is why I run it .

Oh yeah, RTR's SUCK if you are really going to race. They are truly a WASTE of money, you will always just upgrade to the pro kit stuff and replace all the electronics, motor and tires anyways, so why bother buying them in the first place?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:37 AM
dcs
Tech Adept

If I were you, I would go to your local track and see what everyone there is running and then check your local hobby shops to see what buggies they carry parts for. You don't want to go with a buggy that you can't get parts for or you have to wait 2 weeks to get parts shipped to you.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:15 PM
Tech Initiate

What do you guys think about the OFNA jammin X1 RTR in this link below? Can someone please clarify also what the difference is between the jammin cars and the OFNA jammin cars? Are they basically the same company?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJDB5&P=0
Old 12-20-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Okay, sorry about the dumb post above about what the difference is, clearly they are the same. Well anyway what do you guys think about the X1 RTR in that link from towerhobbies.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

I have the Jammin X1-Cr FTE version.The RTR version is a decent buggy to get started with and you can upgrade as you need to with all the FTE parts(shock towers,shocks,etc.)but in the long run if you plan on racing and dont want to have to up grade,definitly it is better to buy the kit version and put good electronics and motor in from the start.Mine has been a very good buggy.No matter the brand the Kit versions are better quality than their RTR counterparts.Plus to me part of the fun is putting the thing together and learning how it goes together.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Rookie

I found this hyper 8 advertised on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOBAO-Hyper-8-...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the pro version? How can you tell through pictures which one is the standard Hyper 8 and which one is the Pro?

What do I need to add? Servo's, engine, radio?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.