Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How important is weight distributon on a TC? >

How important is weight distributon on a TC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How important is weight distributon on a TC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default How important is weight distributon on a TC?

OK, so I got this 4 scale system from lefthander RC, cracked it open and got things as "close as I can get them" without going over weight (1525 grams). So first "the setup"

• Tamiya MSX MRE
  • Novak 4300
  • Novak GTB ESC
  • Micro Spektrum Recvr
  • KO lo-pro digital servo
  • IB 4200's
  • 15 grams added to make weight of 1525 grams
So at 1525 grams, with all electronics on left of the car, car has been setup, tweekd, etc. the weight distribution is as follows:

Right Front (i.e. battery side) - 332.1 grams
Left Front - 358.3 grams
Right Rear - 363.4 grams
Left Rear - 366.6 grams

So my question is, is it "worth it" to add the 26 grams it will take to the right front corner of the car for it to be balanced, i.e. worth going overwight by this same 26 grams? ....I though about moving electronics around, but really I can't move the ESC to the right front side anywhere, and the tranponder doesn't really weight enough to make a difference.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

26 grams is only 1.7% of your total weight of 1525. I would think that extra little bit wouldn't keep your acceleration or top sped down enough to offset the benefit of having the car well balanced. JMHP though.

I am guessing you placed the car one a single scale to get the 1525 total weight becasue the total of your 4 corners only gets you to 1420 grams. ?? I don't understand.??
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't see why not, it's not going to kill it. Then maybe put a lightweight shell on to lose the extra grams.

Charles
Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
26 grams is only 1.7% of your total weight of 1525. I would think that extra little bit wouldn't keep your acceleration or top sped down enough to offset the benefit of having the car well balanced. JMHP though.
I kind of *thought* that, that's the kind of feedback I was looking for!!

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I am guessing you placed the car one a single scale to get the 1525 total weight becasue the total of your 4 corners only gets you to 1420 grams. ?? I don't understand.??
Yea I put it on another scale to get the total weight ...the lefthander rc thingee has this little round scales that weigh up to 500 grams each that you place each tire on ...yea I don't know why it doesn't add up to the total weight either, I'm sure it has some kind ot scientific explanation
Old 12-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where is your extra weight added? I would usually try to help balance out the car by puting it on the chassis area that needed it. I know its hard to add anything with the limited space on a 415, but I've managed to sneak it in areas that won't touch anything.
Mike
Old 12-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moshmike
Where is your extra weight added? I would usually try to help balance out the car by puting it on the chassis area that needed it. I know its hard to add anything with the limited space on a 415, but I've managed to sneak it in areas that won't touch anything.
Mike
I added it to the rear left, which got the rear pretty much in balance left to right.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

IF your trying to balance the car evenly on all 4 corners. First set your ride heights and place on scales. Now when placing weight just figure out total left right and total front rear percentages. Dont worry about individual corners yet. Once you have the Left,Right and Front,Rear where ya want them reset ride height as it may have changed. Place back on scales and then ya can work on the 4 corners basicly setting tweak. When making these adjustments do not just adjust one shock individually unless it is a very small adjustment. You want to adjust all shocks an equal amount. Make small adjustments like 1/8 at a time. For example. if you need to move weight to the RF and LR. adjust down on the RF and LR and up on the LF and RR. This will shift the weight around and not upset your ride heights. After making adjustments push down on the chassis a couple of times to settle the suspension before taking a reading. Ya might have to set ride heights and readjust a couple of times if its off alot to begin with.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

We just got four small scales (MuchMore) to our club and have been using them for two different adjustments.

1. Weight the corners to find out and adjust solid hardware balance ie. have the shocks detached. Gives left/right and front/rear balance of the "dead weight". Corrections are made by moving components and weights around.

2. Weight and adjust car with shocks attached. This is another way of checking the tweak and corrections are made by adjusting the shocks as described in previous comments.

The difference in weighted numbers point to weighting with corner scales without body and full 1525g weight on one single scale with the body on the car.