ROAR to 4 cell....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

So, after looking at recent reply. There "seems" to be a problem on the Mod guy keep blowing up their motor and ESC. ("seems", cause there is no solid data provided)

I think it is the responsibility for the racer to keep the car running. If they blow up the motor, it is their business. It is the racer decision to make. Faster but easier to fail, a little bit slower but more robust. It is all their choice to make. We normally call this race strategy. If you break a motor, you make a wrong choice. (It is simply a part of the setup choice they have to make)

If a racer tends to blown up their ESC and motor when using 6 cells. There is a very high chance he will repeat the same mistake even if number of cells is limited, be it 4 or 5. (cause he is very smart on how to squeeze out the max speed from what they have )

I think a better solution is to use a more robust motor or ESC. It may require a rule change on MOTOR/ESC. (or new product from RC manufacturer) But, even a more robust motor/esc have their limit and racer will make use of the new enveolpe to squeeze more speed out of the car very soon. So, next time, the limiting factor may be the chassis.

Anyway, it is not wise to slow down the mod class. What do you think if a mod car is the same speed as a 19T or even stock class. Will you like to be the driver of that mod car?

Here is a little shearing of how I got into this hobby:

I myself was attracted to touring car cause it "was" fast and it "was" exciting to race with other fast car. It was the mod (no-limit) racing which attract me to the hobby (though I'm running stock car now, the speed of stock car definitely will NOT attract me to start this hobby)

If it was not the fast car I saw, I would not spend hours here viewing those nonsense post to tell us how we should slow down our car.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

@C-O
yeah did see that
but i`ve heard it`s not diffient, ie posters just above me also a couple of top guy`s have said it`s not cemented

Disclaimer
only what i`heard & read , not trying to tell USA guy`s how it is
be gentle
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I can outline the logic for you....

-----------------------------------------------------
| STUPID NO CLUE......gas racers making the decision |

Later EddieO
Old 11-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EddieO
I can outline the logic for you....

| STUPID NO CLUE......gas racers making the decision |

Later EddieO
Gas racers losing racers to electric since we are just as fast.... a LiPo/Brushless car can keep up with, pass and beat a Nitro car.... The gas racers need to slow the EP's down and stop the threat to their speed....
Old 11-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Wolf
I think it is the responsibility for the racer to keep the car running. If they blow up the motor, it is their business. It is the racer decision to make. Faster but easier to fail, a little bit slower but more robust. It is all their choice to make. We normally call this race strategy. If you break a motor, you make a wrong choice. (It is simply a part of the setup choice they have to make)
Addition to this point:

In the old days, when racer barely make their run time. Battery was the limiting factor. Factory team driver solve this by using battery with "magic" number and use it like a single use battery. This make the factory guy have an edge, an easier life.

After the battery improved, this time, the motor/esc cannot stand even one run.

To limit the battery only give back the edge to the factory guy again. Factory guy will have an easy life again.

If I'm a factory racer, I definitely will support the rule change which will give me a higher winning chance. It is all about bread and butter.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Imagine if we move to 4-cell NiMH racing...you basically eliminate the potential for a comparative LiPoly pack. A "1S" Lipoy is only 3.6v. Something to think about???

Has anyone from ROAR, other than Adrian come on this forum to discuss why ROAR is considering a 4-cell move. Perhaps there are valid reasons...it would be nice to know the real reason.
It's jackpot win by implementing 4 cells rules :

1. lipo batts are no longer threat to nimh manufacturers
2. increase the profit margin per cell.
3. esc manufacturers can also benefit by using LESS FET thus they can lower manufacturing cost and make higher profit margin.

For them ( nimh manufacturers & " easy to lobby " ROAR ) going 4 cells it's clever business strategy. Do you remember the good guys always finish last ? well.... consumers will be the judge. I'm sure consumers favor technology and simple life ( lipo and brushless ).
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Not yet, Adrian indicated yesterday that he was going to post the reasons this is beeing considered by the EXCOM, probably didn't get a chance to with the holidays going on. I also am curious to hear all the reasons, perhaps there are better ways to address the issues than this.

This does not appear in the meeting minutes. So,

1. It was not discussed.

2. It was discussed and unintentionally left out of the minutes.

3. It was discussed and purposely left out of the minutes.

Pick one.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wait you left one out.....

4. It's a vast nitro racer conspiracy just to piss Eddie off!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Master

I just like to throw some data out there. US INdoor Champs. Only class that seemed to have motor/esc problems.....

4-Cell Mod 1/12-scale.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
I just like to throw some data out there. US INdoor Champs. Only class that seemed to have motor/esc problems.....

4-Cell Mod 1/12-scale.
And every single one of those was running a Brushless system of some sort.

EA
Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Adept

so is it really true or is this just a rumor
Old 11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Wait you left one out.....

4. It's a vast nitro racer conspiracy just to piss Eddie off!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Welcome to the Matrix....
Old 11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
Welcome to the Matrix....
Forget Touring Cars...let's race spoons!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Forget Touring Cars...let's race spoons!
Don't you remember? There is no spoon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.