Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Bob,

I would have to say, that there were more broken cars then threw winds, our mod class pretty much died off for the last couple of races... for one reason or another. Our Stock,19t and 12th 19t classes are by far more popular then Mod.

That being said, I know I am not going to run Mod this upcoming year, not because I roasted 4 arms, but becuase of the commitment it takes to be somewhat competetive ,and the thrashing it puts on my car, becuase I don't have the time to commit. We have a handful of guys that show up for the State series, any given weekend, that are A - Main Nats kinda guys... PW, Jrod, Jr Mitch, Jeff Brown, Toso, Easton.... and in 19t and stock, it is pretty tough to make it to the show... with Dobbs, Butter, Wilson,Bowser, Lopez, Schaffer, Galante, McNicols, Bradley, Padilla..and many more...

We had some initial pushback on the 6 minutes stock, but overall it has been a resounding success, so much so, that we have gone to 6 minute 19t for this upcoming season.

We have a good series, and the racers that do run mod have been chatting about dropping a cell or two, but thats for us... and it impacts us... maybe we will have good luck., maybe we wont even do it. time will tell...

We are VERY lucky to have this series... and will try to make the proper descisions to ensure it's health... NO matter what ROAR does...

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Tim, I looked around over at FSEARA. 6 minute stock touring is a great idea.

I didn't notice very many dnf's at any of these races though. And the ones that did DNF, how many were simply broken cars? The racing action looks VERY competetive down there. Lot's of guys, "right there". You're lucky to have a group like that to race with.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

To answer "What blew at the Reedy" it was only really motors that didn't have brushes, and they are still figuring out how to make things work.

I ran a 4-star brushless all week and had zero problems. Was the car too fast, hell yes! But I couldn't blame my performance on not having battery or motor. I t was all driving. People think that's how it is in stock, but it's all motor battery in that class. You can be a great driver, but have not power and be back in the F.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Harsh, here are some hard facts from down in Florida. Some race results. And there are some seriuos players on the list.

Anybody see anything out of the ordinary or "epidemic" enough to change a ROAR rule over? Racing action looks AWESOME down there. I want to move to Florida!

FSEARA, race #7 from 10-22-2006

FSEARA, race #6 from 9-24-2006
FYI Jason (protc3) ran 21 laps at 5:08 with a 4 cell TC with the novak 4.5 at B and B hobbies where the above results on 9-24-2006 was raced at, the layout never changed
Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Roar is just cheap insurance for the tracks and a very OPEN guide line for rules that have been bent/broken/godfather in. We shouldn't be allowed to run any other 19 turn other than the C2 or KD but we do. On the fly rule changes are permitted at some events without a vote from the members. Voting is down and no one gave a crap on the Pres...yes this is true....why.....because in order to have fun on a weekly basis we (the racer) must join roar in order to race at the local tracks in our area. Most never attend a big event so they could really careless about what goes on at the national level. Start messing with their once a week fun and that's when we'll see a decline in our hobby. I say open up the motor guide lines and catch the motors up with the batteries or put a cap on the batteries. It seems there's a new battery ready to be introduced atlease twice a year but here we are with the old black and white TV (the TV being our motors) The Florida probably have a legit issue and I wouldn't take that away from them so why just change the rules to the needs of just your race series rather than making it a rule for all to follow. It's clear that the majority of racers don't want the change but it doesn't seem like it will be up to us to decide. Oh well......the last person that told me what I could and could not do I called MOM and she provided for me.....so I guess roar will provide my new 4 cell packs.....LOL
Old 11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
I know I am not going to run Mod this upcoming year, not because I roasted 4 arms, but becuase of the commitment it takes to be somewhat competetive ,and the thrashing it puts on my car, becuase I don't have the time to commit.
Excellent observation. Never thought about it that way. I find myself in the same boat, and it is quite a commitment. FUN!!!! but a commitment in time if done well.

Originally Posted by TimPotter
We are VERY lucky to have this series... and will try to make the proper descisions to ensure it's health... NO matter what ROAR does...
Bottom line, you seem to know what the guys in your area need, and kudos for looking out for them, regardless what ROAR says. Good response.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/0611/06te.wmv
check out the video... it seems not that slow, isn't it
Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by megaracer
no it doesn`t
but like a few Top Racers from that 4 cell JMRCA race have said so far the cells are 1-2 run wonders
this is not the way to go ,this will make MOD class extinct
Old 11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by megaracer
Looks like faster then anyone here on the forum can do...
Old 11-27-2006, 06:03 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just doesnt look like there's a correct answer out there anywhere. valid pts from both sides :/

-ult
Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Just for $hits and giggles I dropped one of my 4 cell packs in my JRXS Sunday. I tested with Stock (CO27) and Mod (Orion 10x1).

Stock:
Slow as snot in winter down the straight, but I doubt I was geared right. I went up 5 teeth (64p) from where I normally am. The straight was painfully slow but the infield wasn't all bad. Definitely what I would call a "novice" class though.

Mod:
I was impressed, it was faster than 6cell 19t but not nearly as difficult as 6cell mod. I would like to run this class.

This said, this testing was done quickly and without any changes to chassis setup. The track was a smallish ozite track in Columbus, OH. Mod 6 cell on our track is difficult at best but can be done. Also, with our limited turnouts of late (4 stock sedans and 4 12th scales) I don't have the option of running mod or 19t generally.

If I was forced to run stock 4 cell, I would probably run 12th scale exclusively. I'm not advocating either way (I'm not a ROAR member nor will I be). I figured I should try it before I complain.

Last edited by dr_hfuhuhurr; 11-27-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Imagine if we move to 4-cell NiMH racing...you basically eliminate the potential for a comparative LiPoly pack. A "1S" Lipoy is only 3.6v. Something to think about???

Has anyone from ROAR, other than Adrian come on this forum to discuss why ROAR is considering a 4-cell move. Perhaps there are valid reasons...it would be nice to know the real reason.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Imagine if we move to 4-cell NiMH racing...you basically eliminate the potential for a comparative LiPoly pack. A "1S" Lipoy is only 3.6v. Something to think about???

Has anyone from ROAR, other than Adrian come on this forum to discuss why ROAR is considering a 4-cell move. Perhaps there are valid reasons...it would be nice to know the real reason.
Not yet, Adrian indicated yesterday that he was going to post the reasons this is beeing considered by the EXCOM, probably didn't get a chance to with the holidays going on. I also am curious to hear all the reasons, perhaps there are better ways to address the issues than this.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano

hope you Guy`s don`t mind input from outside USA

so it`s not even been passed yet ,just been considered

i think ROAR will be intrested in the 5 cell option like what EFRA have done
something has to give to keep the hobby going in the right direction & slow these Babys down
so dropping to 5 cell would keep most manu & dist in the same boat & if it goes to all 3 classes (touring only 27t/19t/mod) then they be happy ,it will weed out them fast guy`s that shouldn`t be in 27t/19t class anyway & feed the Mod class
also tracks are not getting any bigger ,but cars are getting faster (to fast) for the venues ,it will save heat/wear/speed/money in the long run

it will end up being just as fast as it was 2 years ago syndrome ,but then we can go down to 4 cell then or put some thing else in the works

new chassis maybe ,but we like buying new cars anyway (ie;;xray, they don`t have a problem with releasing cars one after another )
Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

From post #19.
Originally Posted by YLLIB
Just heard that the EXCOM voted on ROAR going to 4 cells. Don't know how the vote came out yet but, how do you guys feel about the ROAR EXCOM taking upon themselves to make a decision on something of this magnitude WITHOUT consulting the membership

Advil and everyone needs to relax about ROAR and the decision. This is how things get turned around and bashing starts. How can you post if you do not know the facts yet.
1) ROAR never voted at all, talking about.
2) Europe & the rest are 5 cells, but they are thinking of going to 4 cells, because of chargers.
3) I will not race ROAR, the remarks I go race with them ICC and other races, a good chance you will be racing 4 or 5 cell there also. These large races follow the Asia and Euorpe market, period.

Let’s just her you racers and your opinion, not bash anybody. Constructive criticism is better to here than negativity. Aleast people are trying.

BiLLY Bowerman
Old 11-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Hey Tim I havent thermal my brushless since I been gearing it accoirding to temperature, So i guess if you gear it correctly you shouldnt have any issues. For the series I ll race mod 6 or 4 but it should be up to the racer to chose and allow them the weight difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.