Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR to 4 cell....

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gotpez
When I started racing back in 1990, it was in off-road. I think I raced just a few weeks before I was able to run modified. Within a few months of racing, anybody could have been ready for modified. In TC on-road today, any new driver who is capable of running modified after just a few weeks, or even a few months, of racing is truly gifted. Many drivers now will never be ready for modified.
The great equalizer that makes it easy to go from stock to mod in off road, but difficult to do the same in TC is TRACTION!!

Lower the amount of traction, then some real changes to cost and longevity of equipment will happen.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisP
And yet, this 'blind speculation' as you put it, is what the ExComm is basing their vote on....and we are talking about it for JUST THAT REASON.

I don't think that any of us would be screaming as loudly if this was run first as an exhibition class and demonstrated to be fast enough, easier on equipment, and provide better racing......

Forcing it down everyones throats though will generate a backlash!!
First of all, there hasn't been any vote on this yet.

Second, I doubt the ExComm is doing this on blind speculation. Someone somewhere said something to someone that this might be worth considering.

And it's not being forced down anyone's throat. A ROAR decision will only affect ROAR races. As everyone keeps pointing out most electric racers don't belong to ROAR. If your track wants to run 6 cell, they most certainly can.

And finally, as the recent ROAR election proves, the majority of ROAR members DON'T read rctech.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OK, so I'm heading out to Speedworld raceway (home of the 2006 ROAR on road electric paved Nationals) with a couple other guys ...we're setup the timing system and run some 6 cell stock/19 brushed and stock/19 brushless 6 cell runs ...then try the same with 4 cell ...will post our findings later on today.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
OK, so I'm heading out to Speedworld raceway (home of the 2006 ROAR on road electric paved Nationals) with a couple other guys ...we're setup the timing system and run some 6 cell stock/19 brushed and stock/19 brushless 6 cell runs ...then try the same with 4 cell ...will post our findings later on today.
Anyone else want to come and join in on the fun, you're welcome to will be there around 10:30am.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

What are you trying to prove with this test.

Data is great, but it has to have some meaning.

IS this change to slow things down, make things last longer, or to be cheaper? To force people to buy new cells?

It's great that you're getting laptimes, but that doesn't show everything. The INDUSTRY STANDARD is 6-cell. Can you test that this will screw up a lot of RTR owners?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DerekB

IS this change to slow things down, make things last longer, or to be cheaper? To force people to buy new cells?

It's great that you're getting laptimes, but that doesn't show everything. The INDUSTRY STANDARD is 6-cell. Can you test that this will screw up a lot of RTR owners?
First off, I'm against this change as I have already posted. But one of my personal reasons is because I don't want to go slower in the classes I race (19T and stock) ...I have been having people PM me and tell me that "it's almost as fast, try it and you'll see" ...so, since I have access to one of the best outdoor asphalt tracks in the country, and it's a beautifull day today ... I'm gonna try it and see!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Legend

Poor-O-sedan turtles...

Now you will have to step up and race mod ...
Is that soooo bad ?

Geeessssss......

leave the stock class`s to the beginners`s and let them win for a change ....

With this one rule change

You will only encourage the new racer`s to join the fun ....
and
More racer`s is what this about ...

Your Sedan class will never grow & will disappear, if you keep killing the beginners`s from winning and having fun....
Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

4 cell racing, though unlikely, should level out the playing field some. Im sure we will see people goin to extremes with their batteries, but it should in theory make it more fun for the average budget racer who wants to run mod or whatever.

Now 4 cell stock......will be like watching tspec cars...

edit: I really think that a 4 cell TC would run somethin close to the same pace as a 6 cell too....
Old 11-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Your Sedan class will never grow & will disappear, if you keep killing the beginners`s from winning and having fun....
very true...

I see 19 turn growing a lot if this happens...
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Yep...

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Poor-O-sedan turtles...

Now you will have to step up and race mod ...
Is that soooo bad ?

Geeessssss......

leave the stock class`s to the beginners`s and let them win for a change ....

With this one rule change

You will only encourage the new racer`s to join the fun ....
and
More racer`s is what this about ...

I always wondered why guys that have been racing for years still race stock class. Give it back, I say.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had planned on running the roar onroad nats next year, in my own backyard this time at Peel It, and going to the Reedy race again.
Will I be able to use the same chassis for both ? or will a new 4 cell chassis come out from Xray.
Will I have to change and learn 2 different chassis setups, 1 for roar for the nats and the regional.
Will my local track change to 4 cell, will the other tracks also do the change.
Will the Reedy change to 4 cell?
Will I need to upgrade my Pulsar 1 chargers, they only put out 8A.
My son and I both race, so everything is doubled.

Looks more like skipping electric next year and doing a season of 1/10 nitro.
What will happen to my local tracks if more people decide not to race and not buy elect parts and batts. tires, speedo's..............

How about a 1 year lead time, this will be a major change.
As of right now I have decided not to buy the 2 new 007 chassis, I'm shure my hobby shop will be happy about that.
Fred
Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
Second, I doubt the ExComm is doing this on blind speculation. Someone somewhere said something to someone that this might be worth considering.
Never assume, I'd rather know for sure.

And it's not being forced down anyone's throat. A ROAR decision will only affect ROAR races. As everyone keeps pointing out most electric racers don't belong to ROAR. If your track wants to run 6 cell, they most certainly can.
If a rule is passed that does not get run by the members, that it would appear the majority do not want, that would be the very definition of forcing a rule down our throats. In the same way that Brushless "magically" appeared in the rules...
But if you do belong to ROAR, and expect the insurance to cover you, you need to abide by their rules. Don't think for a second in a very ugly legal battle that it wouldn't be brought up that the racer in question was driving a vehicle that did not meet the ROAR rules or specs that the track is to enforce on race day. Sad as that would be.

And finally, as the recent ROAR election proves, the majority of ROAR members DON'T read rctech.
What it really proves is the majority of ROAR members don't know who these people are... at all. I've never met either of them. Seems odd that I would know who would be better at the job. Same with average Joe club racer (who only joined ROAR because his club told him he had to). Why point at a name on a ballet and choose it if you have no idea who they are? It's not completely fair to blame the members for low voter turnout.

I think it's also fair to blame ROAR for most of that as well. Out of site, out of mind.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Just be sure to take into account geting used to the track. Run the lower cell count stuff first and then the higher count stuff next.

It would be an unfair test to get used to the track and THEN drop 2 cells. Better and more accurate test to start with the slower car and then end up with the faster car as you get used to the track.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DerekB

I guess what really needs to happen is we need to hear from ROAR and find out what their baseline thinking is.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ChrisP

And yet, this 'blind speculation' as you put it, is what the ExComm is basing their vote on....and we are talking about it for JUST THAT REASON.
I disagree. I'd bet the ROAR ExComm has seen the 4 & 5 cell in action...and that is where these opinions come from. Racers, for the most part only see whats at the track in front of them. The travelling racers get input from a few tracks they travel too, Organizations get data from a lot wider variety of sources, some nationally, some internationally.

I personally am a guy who supports FOAM tired TC's, but most of the places we've ever ran have a RUBBER tire rule. To me this sucks, I like foam...know nothing about rubber compounds and HAVE a truer...but I still run what is required. I do however, NOT go to big races, only local stuff.

I can say I have messed personally w/ 4 cells in a TC and thing 4 cell STOCK Sucks...for me, but it would make a Great NOVICE/ROOKIE class. All the other classes w/ 4 cell, (19t, Mod, Brushless) I think have decent speeds and would be just as fun and exciting as some of the 6 cell racing. (However, the ONLY THING cooler than watching 6 cell MOD Touring is watching 1/12th Scale MOD on Carpet.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.