Community
Wiki Posts
Search

my new RTR won't R...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default my new RTR won't R...

I just bought a brushless XXX-T RTR, but it won't run. I checked the diff like it said, but after 2-3 minutes the motor just spins and the spur gear doesn't. I have fiddled with it for an hour, but got nothing. The diff seems tight when I tighten the slipper nut all the way, and the left tire won't turn, so I back it off 4 turns and it just spins. Same no matter what I do. The gear looks chewed up a bit. Was it just defective, or is there something really stupid simple that I am missing? This is my very first RC vehicle, so I don't know beans about these things.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

The way it sounds is that. You had the slipper to tight, and the pinion gear stripped the spur gear...simple $3.00 fix. Just go to your LHS, and get a new spur gear...Just a lil hint for the slipper..hold onto the right tire and the spur gear, and just spin the left tire..it should be pretty haard to move, but not impossible..
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Also check your gear mesh. You can put a peice of plain paper between the gears and tighten the motor up and should be good to rip.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Initiate

I think your gear mesh was too loose and it stripped the spur gear. Just do as losi guy said with the paper after you replace the spur gear and it should be fine.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Gear mesh. Make sure also that when you rebuild the motor that the motor screws are tight. Otherwise the motor will shift and it will take the the teeth off the spur.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. I do think the mesh was just wrong and it chowed the plastic gear. The spur gear / slipper seems to have some lateral play even at the recommended 4 turns out; does this mean the motor should be slid in a little closer, or is there some other way to adjust that mesh?
Old 11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

You guys were exactly right. The RTR kit was just a bit quirky and the guys at the LHS helped me tighten the pinion gear [which was really loose], replace the stripped spur gear, adjust the diff and slipper. I really appreciate the help and advice! The guys at my LHS were really cool too [they told me about this site].

Took me all of 10 minutes to drive it into a light pole at full speed and break the front end to smithereens. I now know how to rebuild and replace a front end though.... I meant to turn to my other left. Have to work on that....
Old 11-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
Gear mesh. Make sure also that when you rebuild the motor that the motor screws are tight. Otherwise the motor will shift and it will take the the teeth off the spur.
Lucky for him, he gets to skip the rebuilding part since he has the brushless XXX-T.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by swannco
Took me all of 10 minutes to drive it into a light pole at full speed and break the front end to smithereens. I now know how to rebuild and replace a front end though.... I meant to turn to my other left. Have to work on that....

It'll take a little getting used to. Pretty soon you won't even think about the direction of the car with relation to you, it'll just come naturally.

Now try hitting up a racetrack!

EDIT: Sorry for the chain post, I was gonna copy/paste this into my last post but I forgot.....
Old 11-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

Huge open space with only few sapling trees and one, count it, one 5 inch diameter light pole, and I turn straight into it at top speed. Go figure.

I will have to work on some serious control issues before I go to a track with a lot of other people. I think there might be some sort of assault charge for driving into other people's shins at 30 mph, not to mention trashing their cars because I'm out of control. But I am going to spend as much time as possible getting a handle on this thing because I WANNA RACE!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Get to the track

I purchased my son a Losi RTR Sept. 1st. at a track pro shop. We took it to the parks (bashing) 3 times, he spun it around in circles (9 yrs old), and proceded to ruin the truck. I then said "no more parks" so we went to the track, and havn't driven anywhere else since.

They have a novice class there and he fit right in. Now he is a serious competitor in the novice class.

I picked up a used truck at the track, and 4 races in I got TQ, and continued on to win the main. Point is; you won't learn how to drive until you drive the track. It forces you to do certain things, mainly keep a car moving through a corner, slow down occasionally, and steer precisly.
Plus usually there are no 5" secret poles.

Just go for it man. Everybody at the track had a first day. You'll love it, and your truck will thank you for it.