Wiki Posts
Search

Has touring car for club racing turn-out been low in your area

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DrOlds
But which cars are the most exciting to watch? The ones that look like they would be the most fun from the driver's seat? T2 and American Sedan!

Hardly... Formula Atlantic and Formula Continental. Tin tops are boring and slow.

There is truth in seeing what the SCCA has done with Spec Miata. Massive car counts in a VERY restricted and structured class. For everyone in R/C who pisses and moans about spec racing, there is strong merit to be found in a class that everyone has a chance to compete on a level playing field.

Trust me, simplicity works.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Hardly... For everyone in R/C who pisses and moans about spec racing, there is strong merit to be found in a class that everyone has a chance to compete on a level playing field.

What he said.

Everyone who races dreams of winning, thats the point. No one likes to say it for some reason in R/C (maybe because of the toy car mystique?) but thats the reason we sweat over our cars and tweak, tune, and pray

Racing is about winning. The closer we can come to making the dream a reality for everyone invloved, the better we'll all be for it.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hardly... Formula Atlantic and Formula Continental. Tin tops are boring and slow.

There is truth in seeing what the SCCA has done with Spec Miata. Massive car counts in a VERY restricted and structured class. For everyone in R/C who pisses and moans about spec racing, there is strong merit to be found in a class that everyone has a chance to compete on a level playing field.

There are some things that can be taken from a class like Spec Miata to make a good r/c class,but there is an important distinction to make.A Spec Miata does NOT pull 2.5-3 G's like an r/c touring car-and that makes all the difference.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DrOlds
But which cars are the most exciting to watch? The ones that look like they would be the most fun from the driver's seat? T2 and American Sedan!
believe me, if it weren't for a neck injury I'd be racing American Sedan... I like watching the spec Miata (angry bumble Bee's, if you've seen them you'd have to agree) but they get boring real quick....

Kinda like an outsider watching our racing... A bunch of similiar shaped blobs with wild paintjobs and no way to really tell what's going on out there...

I like the Formula cars but I have a love for American Iron... I've looked into racing in the Historical racing Group, talked to my Dr's about wearing a collars and hans device but I should be happy I can still race RC's...
Old 12-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Freq: I have a prefect suggestion for the newbie...Legends. If we can get 2 other kids/new racers to buy one, I'm in, I'll order one now, for my son.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The thing that seesms to keep spec racing from working in RC is that the cars are not good, do not handle well. That makes them less fun to own, drive, use, and are generally not fast, which makes them less than fun to brag about.

Also, part of the hobby is simply the wrench time involved. A hobby is designed to fill your spare time. You can easily spend hundreds of hours a month on your SCCA car, and you SHOULD, your life is on the line for pete sake. How many hours can you put into a spec car like an RC legends? Thing only has 15 parts...

I bought a few cars from a guy that supplies Miatas and parts (all around the country) to SCCA racers. I spent most of an afternoon with him, so I have a rough idea what is involved with that.

Most RC spec racing does not have enough wrench time to "round out" the hobby of it for most people. Slowest car, generally ill-handling, not much to work on, and most of it you can't. The "theory" is sound, the result has never worked well.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

If you want something parallel to SCCA, then TCS racing is it. You can run a spec car or get into GT racing. If is not popular then you are immune to the tension as everyone waits for Tamiya to release the 2007 rules.

BTW, spec racers do wrench thier cars. I met some guys with Spec Fords and they work as hard as they could on the few options thay could tune.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

The Tamiya TCS is a perfect example of how to do it right. It's astonishing that ROAR hasn't figured that out yet. Apparently, no ROAR exCom member has ever attended a TCS event.

I'm thinking that the TCS may be the only racing I do in 2007 that involves carpet.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lightbulb

TCS is a great program. Unfortunately, it doesn't mix well with CARPET. As it's like 12 degrees here with a foot of snow, many of us aren't too concerned with asphalt racing

I'd like to offer this as a solution:

USTCA Classes

Junior TC1 - Bolink Legends Oval - A true "never raced a car before class"

Junior TC2 - Tamiya Mini OnRoad - Spec Mini class, TCS rules, silver cans, spec battery

TC1 - Tamiya TA05, Xray T2R, TC4RTR, XXXSRTR - Spec Class, 27t, Spec battery - Rubber Control Tire

TC2 - 27t , Foam Control Tire, LiPo allowed

TC3 - Brushless 4300, Foam Tire, LiPo allowed

TCExpert - 19t Spec Motor, 3800Mah, LiPo, 51oz

TCMaster - Mod, Open Battery, ROAR motor and battery rules

Once again it bears mentioning: If 20 of us agree to do this, 20 more will follow. After that more will jump on board and POOF we have a racing league.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Lightbulb

The group to make some changes is now officially forming.

Stay tuned.... We're building a better tommorow.....

We'd like you to be a part of it.

We need:

People with a couple hours a week to spare.
Someone with project management experience
Someone with a legal background
People willing to devote "online time" for discussion & promotion
Someone skilled with php and email software

Your work will not go unrewarded. This is an effort to make changes to benefit our hobby.

Thanks to those that have already stepped up!

Last edited by FreqETag; 12-01-2006 at 09:30 PM.