Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric? >

Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why cant foams be run on asphalt with electric?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

When I got back from IIC, I had alot of foams left that were not used at all. I put on untrued tires front and rear and went out on the track. (Indoor asphalt) They worked great. I found that double pink/orange all around was really hot. I smashed the track records in every class I ran. They lasted pretty long too. A few race days. I rotated the tires around to distribut the wear.

I thought they were WAY faster, and more consistent through the run. I thought the life versus price was pretty fair or better than rubber tires. Some guys got bent out of shape over the deal, so I just run the rubber tires. But I think hey if I want to run them and you don't think they are better, then what the heck?? Let me run them.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Adrian and barry. I understand that.
But the intrust is'nt allways going faster.
Its how to get the most out of your foams on a club race.
A trophy race would be alot different.
I guess there's alot of ways to see it, thats what this site is all about.
It gives us the ability to make an educated desission on what each individual want's out of this site.
I'll add this is a great debate not an arguement.
I say this in a nice way.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
I can tell you Adrian is 100% correct as I was one of the guys. You can say what you want and argue all you want. If you want to go fast, you have to cut the tires down...we usually started practice around 60 just to get some laps and then after two runs you were around 58. once you got below 56 the car would act goofy.

That is why we all run rubber in Fl. Tires end up being a 1 to 2 run tire and thus where is the advantage, where as a rubber tire will last 2 -4 runs .
Old 01-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
However, once you get a few really serious driver running foam the fun is over.
This also goes for rubber tyres. When the more serious racers only run the rubbers a couple of runs, the fun also leaves this class. I think this issue has as much to do with the downtrend in Sedan racing as any of the other current issues. I would like to see one or the other as the standard for all surfaces.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Lord

Big Kat please let it be foam's.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Adrian and barry. I understand that.
But the intrust is'nt allways going faster.
Its how to get the most out of your foams on a club race.
A trophy race would be alot different.
I guess there's alot of ways to see it, thats what this site is all about.
It gives us the ability to make an educated desission on what each individual want's out of this site.
I'll add this is a great debate not an arguement.
I say this in a nice way.

X
I know what you are saying. I agree but its in a racers nature to go faster. If you start racing foam guys will start looking for an edge. The edge is running smaller tires. In no time at all racing will get really expensive again.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by speedxl
That is why we all run rubber in Fl. Tires end up being a 1 to 2 run tire and thus where is the advantage, where as a rubber tire will last 2 -4 runs .
That for state races and regional. I run my tires a lot more than that at club races.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Adrian I hear ya It get's in the blood sooner or later. I'm no angel.
Even when I wiegh in its as close as possible. Glad you did'nt take it the wrong way.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Lord

I guess bottom line is we can't save each other from ourselve's.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I run my tires a lot more than that at club races.
Yes I do also but it was just for the point. The hardcore will push the limit and there will be the few bitching.

Guys take note that alot of big race's are going back to rubber even on carpet, so guess foam isnt that great.

One more thing cars (Equipement) last longer on rubber and equalises the field, just like in full scale Rain is the greatest equaliser!!!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Lord

It seems that a sanctoin race allows specific tires in rubber, But allows any variety with foams. I think its due to the wear and tear of the carpet?
Or is it to keep the playing feild even? And if to keep the playing field even why dont they do the same with foam. Or do they allow any rubber tire on asphalt? Some one slap me please. I never make it to big venues. I work weekends. I did tech an indoor carpet race once.

X

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-01-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

I know that last year as long as they did not VHT the track, I could get an easy 6-8 runs on my RP30's and the fall off was minimal. In fact we found at a number of the bigger races that second and third run tires were faster than new tires.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Lord

It appears theres no reason not to run foam in electric. And it appears there more consistant in the log run. It seems its a majority issue. Per race. And with the potential to be less exspensive in the long run. I can honestly say I would rather run foam. I think If you can run any rubber just like foam. Then foam should be as prominent as rubber at any event on asphalt. Keep the weight the same between the two and compare. The only arguement to me is wheather to mix the two. And thats a whole other debate.

X
Old 01-01-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
It seems that a sanctoin race allows specific tires in rubber, But allows any variety with foams. I think its due to the wear and tear of the carpet?
Or is it to keep the playing feild even? And if to keep the playing field even why dont they do the same with foam. Or do they allow any rubber tire on asphalt? Some one slap me please. I never make it to big venues. I work weekends. I did tech an indoor carpet race once.

X
Its not wear on the carpet. Its that there are so many different rubber tires availalbe that if tires were open you would need to bring $2000 of tires and inserts to a race to have the fastest tire. With spec tires the track does testing, finds a tire with a good balance of performance, durability and price and tells everyone you have to run that tire.

This massively cut the cost of racing.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Lord

On asphalt rubber can you run say 28 in the rear and 32 in the front.? With any insert you want? I would think the industry would want us to bring 2000 varieties. I mean in a big event cost is usally out the window.

X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.