Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road > Team and Company Discussions
Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread! >

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Castle Creations Mamba/MM/MMM FACTORY Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phroz
So your saying ignore the racers as there is more profit in suppling the basher market?
Not saying ignore but I been in this hobby for 24 years now and worked at 5 different hobyshops and two different shops I help at now and 95% of the sales never hit a race track. Most of the guys that buy stuff just do it for fun and to hang with their buddies and have a good time. Yes a few guys do race but in the long run racing truely is a small part in a large puzzle
Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Cain
Here is a question:

Looking at what Tekin is doing, it appears they are going to come out with the RS ESC that is sensored since it appeard that getting sensorless to work perfectly on the 13.5 or motors similar is not possible without some start up issues.

Is Castle considering a sensored unit?
I have no idea on this. Anything could be possible.

Problem is if they would say this in the works the next question qould be when. At this point the problem starts as if you give a time frame and it don't work out then you get bashed, if you don't comment on it you get bashed so you get the picture. Its a no win for any company. To be honest the best thing is not to say anything.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:46 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by jheimb4897
Can you run other manufacturer's Motors in these things? I was just curious because I race stock and I really want one of these. Any specifications as to what type of BL motors are compatible if any? I feel like no one knows the anwer to my question!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHH
Its been posted many times that the Castle speedo can run other motors but it will more than likley have some cogging/hesitation on initial hit of the throttle. Once it is moving my experiance has been it runs smoothly after that. I do run mine with the ORion 13.5 but it does have a little hesitation at start up.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

What kind of hesistation are we talking about? And if you do not mind me asking, why does it do this?
Old 01-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Why isn't castle on the ball with the sensored update!!!! It's been almost 2 years. You would think they would like to appeal to the racers (which are the most hardcore people, and that give the most advice to the bashers on what to buy.) instead of just the bashers. This isn't too much to ask, DAMN IT!!! I want to be able to race my newly purchased ESC, with brushless. They won't even hint at a date as to when it is going to be released. Even if they do, and it doesn't come out on time, at least we know they are working on one. As it stands, it seems as if they aren't even putting the time into it. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN RELEASE A STOCK/19t EQUAL YET!!! Thank the heavens for the Trinity DUO motors. At least I can race stock with those. But at $100, it's kinda steep. Oh well, at least it is getting some use...

Sorry for the rant guys...
Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

all good things come in time. heck i wanted something brushless back in 91-92 when guys were adaptin these huge BL units down into their 10Ls for speed runs at the encino velodrome b/c they were much faster than the astroflight drag motors of the time to make those huge closed course speed runs. so to even gripe bout 1.5yrs of developement to play nice with 'bob', not bad at all.

R
Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Why isn't castle on the ball with the sensored update!!!! It's been almost 2 years. You would think they would like to appeal to the racers (which are the most hardcore people, and that give the most advice to the bashers on what to buy.) instead of just the bashers. This isn't too much to ask, DAMN IT!!! I want to be able to race my newly purchased ESC, with brushless. They won't even hint at a date as to when it is going to be released. Even if they do, and it doesn't come out on time, at least we know they are working on one. As it stands, it seems as if they aren't even putting the time into it. THEY HAVEN'T EVEN RELEASE A STOCK/19t EQUAL YET!!! Thank the heavens for the Trinity DUO motors. At least I can race stock with those. But at $100, it's kinda steep. Oh well, at least it is getting some use...

Remember the ROAR rules just came out less than a week ago. To be honest I don't understand how motor manufactures are sending in new motors to be approved from ROAR already since the rules for brushless where just finalized unless certain companies had the info before other ones. No way could a company meet every spec for brushless without seeing the rules.............no one would be that lucky.

That being said Castle can't make a motor til the rules are posted for all motor manufactures to see and then they can start making motors to those specs. Again I have zero clue how any brushless motor company could meet these specs in less than a weeks time. Well I do know how but I will not post on that issue.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

What kind of hesistation are we talking about? And if you do not mind me asking, why does it do this?
At the initial hit of the throttle the car won't move for a split second and then it takes off. Kinda like a cold car in the morning, you start it up and try to drive right away and sometimes when you hit the throttle especially on a carborated car would have that slight hesitation before it would take off.

The Castle programming was setup mainly for the Castle brand motors so they work great. Onsensored motors they work a little differently so when the Castle speedo is looking the initial start up timing it takes a split second to find it before it will start moving forward.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Here is a question:

Looking at what Tekin is doing, it appears they are going to come out with the RS ESC that is sensored since it appeard that getting sensorless to work perfectly on the 13.5 or motors similar is not possible without some start up issues.
The R1 WAS suppose to work with the sensor motors perfectly, so I dont know why they need another esc to work with sensor motors only.

Unless...

One of the Castle Team Drivers posted that there would be a update VERY SOON back in early December, so in CC terms thats possibly still another 2 years away.

Originally Posted by wyd
Not saying ignore but I been in this hobby for 24 years now and worked at 5 different hobyshops and two different shops I help at now and 95% of the sales never hit a race track. Most of the guys that buy stuff just do it for fun and to hang with their buddies and have a good time. Yes a few guys do race but in the long run racing truely is a small part in a large puzzle
We see numbers a little closer to 30% or 40%. The guys and girls who race spend a lot less money than the bashers thats for sure but the people numbers is still 30% - 40% for the racers. It also helps that we have 7 tracks within a 30 mile radius of the shop.

Maybe thats the problem with your location. You mention only guys, where we see a lot of women shopping for themselves or their boyfriends, husbands and children.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Location does determine some if people race. It won't be 2 years either.

Ran the Sidewinder today with the 5700 Mamba Motor tonight at are local offroad track in mod 2wd buggy. OMG the speedo is as smooth as anything I have used in 24 years. The car had no cogging, hesitation, or any other problem for that matter. I ran the fastest lap ever at this track and my best overall time tonight. The driver is the only thing that held the car back from going even faster. The new software is excellent. It was so smooth I thought I had a brushed motor in my car. I'm not sure if you can make a sensorless motor run any better or smoother than what the Sidewinder was today.

Couldn't be happier with the peformance of a 149.99 brushless system. Feels good when a veteran racer bought a brand new 249.00 brushless from a competitor only to have it burn up and almost burn his offroad buggy to the ground. The speedo was a fireball with flames shooting out from under his body (no lipo either it was a 4200 NIMH pack).
Old 01-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Super_Roo
The R1 WAS suppose to work with the sensor motors perfectly, so I dont know why they need another esc to work with sensor motors only.
One very critical piece of info is missing. There were issues when people tried running the R1 in a 4 cell setup, such as 12 scale pan cars.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:05 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

reigle, the sidewinder vs the max speedo, ur assessment from sunday at bumps?

R
Old 01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Location does determine some if people race. It won't be 2 years either.

Ran the Sidewinder today with the 5700 Mamba Motor tonight at are local offroad track in mod 2wd buggy. OMG the speedo is as smooth as anything I have used in 24 years. The car had no cogging, hesitation, or any other problem for that matter. I ran the fastest lap ever at this track and my best overall time tonight. The driver is the only thing that held the car back from going even faster. The new software is excellent. It was so smooth I thought I had a brushed motor in my car. I'm not sure if you can make a sensorless motor run any better or smoother than what the Sidewinder was today.

Couldn't be happier with the peformance of a 149.99 brushless system. Feels good when a veteran racer bought a brand new 249.00 brushless from a competitor only to have it burn up and almost burn his offroad buggy to the ground. The speedo was a fireball with flames shooting out from under his body (no lipo either it was a 4200 NIMH pack).
I'd have to agree I got my Sidewinder 4600 friday put it in my FT B4 and it runs just awesome. I think it is even smoother than my 2 MM combos.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by rockstar81
I'd have to agree I got my Sidewinder 4600 friday put it in my FT B4 and it runs just awesome. I think it is even smoother than my 2 MM combos.
The Sidewinder has the newest updates in it like the new adjustable deadband feature which is really nice and the engineers really did made the sensorless system super smooth. It was as smooth as any speedo I have used brushless or brushed.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
reigle, the sidewinder vs the max speedo, ur assessment from sunday at bumps?

R
It is smoother all around except I need to use 10% to 15% higher setting for drag brakes. I normally used 25% at Bumps on my MM but use 40% on the Sidewinder which is max setting but to be honest I would never use 40% outdoors and most indoor tracks I would normally use less but this is Bumps with unlimited traction.

Everything else is dead on. My 5700 is as smooth as I could ask it to be. The Sidewinder has different programming in it and I can tell because with my MM when I start off at a crawl in will rock back a tad and then move forward. With the Sidewinder it only goes forward with zero cogging.

Ult if you are looking for a low priced brushless system to run in mod buggy this summer go for it as it is excellent. It will be what I run this summer in mod buggy. I'm very impressed with the production version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.