Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Choices... hmm

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default 1/8th Choices... hmm

Looking to pick up a new 8th scale buggy for next season and build it this winter, im looking at the Mugen MBX5R and the Losi 8ight but cant decide. What does everyone think? thanks
Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 1/8th buggy

you really cant go wrong with a losi , i have heard nothing but great things about the 8ight good luck with your choice
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well not long ago I had the same exact decision to make but the Losi was not out yet.I thought about a Mugen,Kyosho,Ofna,Xray,Hoa Boa,and also some of the lower end models.Parts availability was not an issue for me as no shops locally carry many 1/8 buggy parts so I new I`d be shopping online.I talked to some people on here and got many opinions.I wanted a car that was durable which now I belive they all are very durable.I also wanted to be different than other people locally,everyone around here runs Kyosho,Mugen and some Ofna Jammins.I finally made an educated decision and bought a HYPER 8.The kit itself was 400$ which saved me at least between 150-250$ right off the bat in comparison to the other kits.This is my first 1/8 buggy so I can`t really give you opinions on other buggies but I do like mine very much.It is lighter than some other models which makes it a bit twitchy but it suits the way I drive perfectly.It turns really sharp,handles well through the rough and bang for the buck is great.The only issue I have with it right now is that there are very few aftermarket parts for it because it has not been out for a long time,not that it needs the parts but the option would be nice.Kyosho & Mugen have a zillion aftermarket parts but they are also pretty expensive parts.Take your time and think of the things that are most important to you in an 1/8 scale buggy I did and am very happy.Right now I am using Kyosho front hub carriers because they fit and seem to be a bit stronger in my opinion.Any buggy you pick will have some flaw no matter what.You can use your mind and friends to find a way to make the flaws better or not be there anymore at all.Hope these words help in your decision!
Old 11-09-2006, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

yeah, thanks guys The Hyper 8 does look very nice but i wanted to build a kit and the hyper 8 is a prebuilt, i watched a few 8ights runnin at my track this past weekend, very impressed but i did not see any MBX5R's so i really dont know what to think about them, does anyone know of any problems the MBX5's have?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

The MBX5 is notorious for having less steering than the other buggies it competes with. This is ok on some tracks but if the track is tighter you will be at an disadvantage with the MBX5. The Losi has plenty of steering without being twitchy and is excellent in the rough and in jumping. I would go with the Losi myself. I have had cars in the past that did not have alot of steering and that sucks bigtime.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

"The MBX5 is notorious for having less steering than the other buggies it competes with"

No, it doesn't. I have a Losi and an MBX5 and while the Losi does turn better the MBX5 is by no means a barge. . It (mbx5) steers better with the right tires on it. What I mean is, if your track is known to like M2 crimefighters (what track doesn't?) and you put on XTR or some other tire with less grip, instead of the whole car just having less traction you most likely notice less steering response. With a Jammin for instance the car would just have less traction.

One downside to the MBX5 is it is about the only 1/8 buggy I am aware of that does not have hard anodized shocks. It does however, come with the right tires out of the box.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

i am having the same problem. i like all the buggies, and i am currently runny an S3. i love my S3 but its worn out after 2 seasons of racing, and i want something different. i was looking at the losi, and the team magic. i like the team magic, but if it ever comes out who knows. i like the losi aswell but i have heard people having clutch and shock leak issues with them.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am on my third Mugen, with the third being the "R". I bought it knowing the losi was out, and I must say I am not disappointed.

I am going to buy a losi to try, but the mugen has been consistent at every track I have ran. It is going on 5 weeks since I bought the "R" and I have ran it at a different track each week.

If you are running on a mostly electric designed track, I would say the losi does have the better steering, but most 1/8 scale tracks suit the mugen just fine.

As far as issues with the losi's clutch, you can either play with the lighter springs, or king heads now makes shoes that are lasting longer. There is a losi with 28 tanks on the same set of losi shoes at my home track, and the car is a rocket.

The only issue I keep reading about the losi is that it is burning up servos. Probably a coincidince, but I am sure it will buff out.

With all that being said, there going to be supporters from each camp, but I am very happy with my decision.

The better car is the one you own. Always. Until you want something else. lol.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

yeah i have heard that about the servos aswell. people are talking about how they are going through throttle servos like mad.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Davidka]"The MBX5 is notorious for having less steering than the other buggies it competes with"

No, it doesn't. I have a Losi and an MBX5 and while the Losi does turn better the MBX5 is by no means a barge. . It (mbx5) steers better with the right tires on it. What I mean is, if your track is known to like M2 crimefighters (what track doesn't?) and you put on XTR or some other tire with less grip, instead of the whole car just having less traction you most likely notice less steering response. With a Jammin for instance the car would just have less traction.

What you said here just proves it. I am not trying to say it is a sled just that it does not have as much steering as the others.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh don`t worry Blue Streak I take mine apart and put it back together all the time just for cleaning purposes.So you will get your chance to build it again and again but I do understand how you feel about building it yourself!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Fair enough. There were certainly days where my MBX5 could've steered quicker but like you said, it was never a sled. On some tracks I could even out steer most cars. I don't think you can go wrong with the new 8ight though. It has lots of innovation and they seem to have hit the mark in terms of build quality and durability from the start.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Adept

yeah, think i might go Losi, gonna do some more research but steering is one thing we do need here, most of the tracks are technical other then NRC and Hobby Hut. I have been racin for about 2 years now but everything ive had was either used or prebuilt from factory(Revo 2.5R, Hotbodies LSP-R, Hyper 7 pro, Kyosho Kanai 2). I wanna build one from the start myself. wonder whats up with the servo issue? brakes hard to pull?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

my vote is for the mugen!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mugen power!!!!..............................that's it. that's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.