Wiki Posts
Search

EFRA decision. 5 cells -1350gr

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tir
Talk of why this is necessary is pure and simple - electric racing across the world is in decline. And this is at a time when cars are becoming faster and faster...things are wearing out at an increasing rate and cars are becoming uncontrollable (in most peoples hands). Perhaps the view is, that by reducing speeds, costs and demands placed on controlling an 70mph missle successfully, this may attract more people into the hobby.
Last time I checked MODIFIED racing has nothing to do with attracting more new people into the hobby. A newbee won't be able to control even a 20mph missile on a track (parking lot maybe). So for them a 4 cell stock would not be that slow... Yes those guys who does not belong to the stock class in the first place would have to move up to 19T and the 19T guys to mod that's all. I don't think that's gonna kill the stock class. Maybe the stock class as we know it today - but who cares it sucks anyway: when a new guy has to run in the same heat where sponsored guys running and got lapped 5 times in 5 minutes and once you have some idea of driving you have to buy new batteries every month just to stay in the leading lap... talking about attracting new people...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

cars have got to fast for the Tarmac Tracks that are available in the Uk ,most new ones are to small to accomodate 7 turn mods

power of today has outgrown the excisting tracks
we have 19t spec motors doing 12 turn lap time`s

Batts are not the problem guy`s

it`s the prehistoric design of motors that is the prob re;;blowing up & all

i can`t see how going to 4 or 5cell will bring more new drivers into this hobby

The Clubs are having trouble getting racers there ,they are the ones that feed the nats ,don`t bite the hand that feeds you;;comes to mind
no help club side , you get nothing new up top !!!

last thing is i don`t want to see Dave spashett,Andy moore etc in the uk going round racing lower powered cars ,that are the same speed as My 19t 6 cell .where`s the excitement in that

But if 5 cell is here it will affect only the minority of drivers over here (Mod)

you can`t keep adding classes ,just dilutes all classe`s again
trim it up

carpetwars
they have introduced 19t this year (not good move that .ian saw this problem before we did so we only have 3 Mod heats coz most of the other Mod drivers have gone 19t
Old 11-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by cvt01
Last time I checked MODIFIED racing has nothing to do with attracting more new people into the hobby. A newbee won't be able to control even a 20mph missile on a track (parking lot maybe). So for them a 4 cell stock would not be that slow... Yes those guys who does not belong to the stock class in the first place would have to move up to 19T and the 19T guys to mod that's all. I don't think that's gonna kill the stock class. Maybe the stock class as we know it today - but who cares it sucks anyway: when a new guy has to run in the same heat where sponsored guys running and got lapped 5 times in 5 minutes and once you have some idea of driving you have to buy new batteries every month just to stay in the leading lap... talking about attracting new people...
there are some Uk guy`s think this will bring in `NEW` blood by messing with the MOD class (Not
Old 11-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

I am assuming 5 cells are for all classes, not just modified? If just for modified only, what is the point of racing modified rather than 19-turn?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

@Rick: EFRA doesn't have any stock classes and/or rules, so the 5-cells are for modified TC only so far! Some national federations will certainly adopt the 5-cells for their particular stock classes tough.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well JMRCA decide 4cells 1350g, now EFRA 5cells 1350g. Frankly I see the cell reducing going to happen when JMRCA announced it, so no big surprise for me.

What I'm really interesting is. How the hell you can get 5cells 1350g? If anyone every did that, post photos PLEASE.

The lightest 6cells I can made is around 1470~1480g. Lost 1 cells it's still over 1400g. 1350g... someone please post his 1350g 5cells car photo (don't tell me use 3000- battery, no one do that nowday alright?)
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

reduced voltage :

(+) Longer life for comm and brushes
(+) Less tire overheating
(+) Reduced speed = reduced broken parts
(+) Car setting a lot easier for beginner[/quote]

longer life motors. Brushless.

Tyres over heating. What???? when was that ever a problem? just use a harder tyre or something

less broken parts, dont do modified if you cant drive.

Car setting up easier. as above you can always progress into modified. I see all four above statements as pretty hilarious to be honest.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
tir
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I am assuming 5 cells are for all classes, not just modified? If just for modified only, what is the point of racing modified rather than 19-turn?

EFRA rules only apply to mod at the moment. What happens with the other classes is up to the individual governing bodies I guess and indeed it is still unclear whether the BRCA can/will adopt it. A 5 cell 7T mod car is faster than a 19T 6 cell car. Cornering and acceleration is quicker. I dont know what its like in the US but in the UK, the guys overgear the motors, fit fans to reduce heat, chill the motors down, use high silver content brushes to maintain performance over 5 min runs thereby wearing comms which require skimming every run - hardly a cheap class to run at. StocK 27T is the same. Notably also, there is such a large variation in stock motors unlike Mod, so sponsored drivers or a driver with a lot of knowledge tend to have the edge in performance... Would 5 cell mod limit to 10Turn be cheaper and more level than 19T?

With respect to speeds, In testing at YATABE, a certain driver IS lapping faster with a 4 cell car than with his 6 cell car and he is only 3kPH slower on the straight. So, logically, a 5 cell car with the same weight (if possible to achieve) will be even faster..

With respect to bringing new people into the hobby, I do believe it is a step in the right direction but I think we do have to look at all the classes to see what the problems are and how as a community we can solve them. There are many who are being turned off from racing and leaving the hobby, so perhaps we need to think why?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ttso
Well JMRCA decide 4cells 1350g, now EFRA 5cells 1350g. Frankly I see the cell reducing going to happen when JMRCA announced it, so no big surprise for me.

What I'm really interesting is. How the hell you can get 5cells 1350g? If anyone every did that, post photos PLEASE.

The lightest 6cells I can made is around 1470~1480g. Lost 1 cells it's still over 1400g. 1350g... someone please post his 1350g 5cells car photo (don't tell me use 3000- battery, no one do that nowday alright?)
i think that 1350g is for the minimun weight for the car its around 2.98 lbs or 47.6 oz
Old 11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ttso

i ve never seen a 3 lb battery in a touring car yet
Old 11-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Tech Adept

The only way for 5-cell (or 4-cell) to work is to make it the same across all levels of TC. Stock, 19t and Mod.

Someone above me said it best. Slow down the stock class to where the sponsored drivers will move up to 19t or Mod. I'd love it if stock were too slow for the top drivers! I've been in this hobby for about 17 years now, and I can honestly say that stock is fast enough for me. I've heard the same from quite a few other local and top level national racers. It isn't fair to the newer racers to be thrown into the base class (stock) and racing against pro-level drivers. This is one reason why our hobby has been shrinking.

5-cell seems a bit odd to me, I'd have probably picked 4-cell as the most likely solution. But, let's see how it works out. Almost ALL forms of racing have made changes over the years to keep speeds down. These changes are made for many reasons, safety, cost and reliability are just a few. The speeds in our hobby have gotten out of hand, it's time to reign it in a bit.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

IMO dropping the cells from 6 cell to 5 or 4 is extremely narrow minded when it comes to getting new people into TC, whether they be Newbies or Off Road guys... With the exception of the 2 pan car classes left every other class runs 6 cells and I can't see Off Road going to 5 or 4 cells. Yes, there may be certain conditions where 5 cells worked in Off Road but then that's a decision left up to the driver as a tuning aid.

Many people are running from TC as fast as they can because of the nonsense...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
i ve never seen a 3 lb battery in a touring car yet
I know you are joking? or you really usng 3lb battery? (joke)

75g per cell, 5cells goes to 375g. 100g on body, 120g on rubber tire, that means 750g on chassis+motor+ESC+RX+servo. Anyone can make it happen?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tir
With respect to bringing new people into the hobby, I do believe it is a step in the right direction but I think we do have to look at all the classes to see what the problems are and how as a community we can solve them. There are many who are being turned off from racing and leaving the hobby, so perhaps we need to think why?
there are a host of reasons to why not just 1 thing

Money (as allways
No Faith in the system
Bad sportmanship
Bad driving
To much traveling
All AGM stuff is for the nats & doesn`t help the Clubs to keep going, thus forces the clubs to go it alone to which they can`t survive out on there own
not enough racers to go around
Regionals will bring the localised Clubs together & work with each other ,then word spreads to shops where dads are spending dosh
Tracklayouts are the same year in year out (boring

to many series spread over the weekend ,they should all be on the `SAME` weekend ,this will freeup 3 weekends for club racing

what`s this got to do with this thread Errrrrrrrr nothing
i`ll stop now
Old 11-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

It just cross my mind..... Xray must be like now. Their latest car T2007 is now out-of-spec, before it availible in most of the world. This is funny situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.