Like Tree1Likes

new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Nice car!!..

As I said, the two kits I bought had been sitting around in some Czech hobby-shop for easily three, maybe even four years.. So I never intended to suggest the DM-1 was flawed. Was just asking. And it seems like the answer is no, the DM-1 is not known to have diff issues.. I need to go check again, but a few minutes before it happened, I upped the brake bias a little on the radio to try to get more braking, so maybe I screwed something up.. Or maybe I had something else wrong in the linkage setup or something..
I dont know what happened but I can say that I drifted mine for an entire summer...I had the brakes set to stop on a dime since I was in a parking lot with traffic in and out of it and I never hurt an out drive cup diff cup drive shaft, pinion gear or a ring gear. So it may have been a bad one or maybe a factory change for cheaper parts for different countries who knows. They can do anything they want.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Anyway, I did a quick fix and put a new bearing in...(there was NOTHING left of the previous one..), and took it out for a test the next day. Everyhing perfect... Til, after one tank, it started to rain...

Still, it's a massively fun car - especially at this particular public park nearby... Really fun feeling out the limits through the curves - and of course giving some WOT down the straight... Got to make one a better buggy/truggy driver...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Anyway, I did a quick fix and put a new bearing in...(there was NOTHING left of the previous one..), and took it out for a test the next day. Everyhing perfect... Til, after one tank, it started to rain...

Still, it's a massively fun car - especially at this particular public park nearby... Really fun feeling out the limits through the curves - and of course giving some WOT down the straight... Got to make one a better buggy/truggy driver...
Good to hear man!

I wish I could find a place to go WOT with mine.. and that's on 4s.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have yet to find a spot long enough to fully top out my DM-1...the thing eats up ground so fast I always run out of room before I run out of engine....
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I have yet to find a spot long enough to fully top out my DM-1...the thing eats up ground so fast I always run out of room before I run out of engine....

Neal when you going to do some onroad engine mods
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Old 03-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Tech Initiate

how fast u think its going
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Tech Champion

So, got a good 5-6 tanks through on Saturday. Here's a boring vid showing the car and the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB4X9HtFneY

The video is boring, but the driving was actually very fun. The tires are cheapos with not much grip, so the challenge of keeping the thing planted was a blast..

Couple points - OK, tires are everything...
The Mach I'm running is long in the tooth - nearly three years old, and pinched at about 8-10 gallons. 'Bout 10-12 tanks through since then, including yesterday. It seems to still have decent power - and is very user-friendly. The JP-4 pipe seems to suck on it IMO though. I switched back to the stock Losi RTR pipe from the Muggy, and it woke up a bit(in the vid it has the JP-4..) Anyway, whereas the Mach has great power in a truggy or buggy, I felt it lacked muscle in the mid-range. Somehow this car seems to really need mid-range balls if you want to see top-speed within a mile of space.. Which makes me think a .28 is the ticket for the DM-1.. My current setup lacks a bit down low too, but I attribute that to the ten-gallon old Fioroni clutch I have on it.

I am thinking of getting the Ascendancy clutch for it, but am not sure. My gut says the new Losi 454 I have is the right engine for the DM-1, and not the Jammin JPX-21. With the 454 I'll probably stick with the Fioroni.

Anyway, a lot of fun, even if it looks boring in the video. This track is five minutes away, and free. Yesterday was still pretty cold, but normally this park is full of RCers, especially 1/5 gassers.. So I look forward to beating them ha ha...

Her another couple boring vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HzwPtrkUI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67kD645K75U

If it looks like I'm being careful as I approach the camera, it's because that whole side of the track is bordered by a low stone wall, and then a metal pipe railing...

One last thing.. Amazing how filthy onroaders can get too.. Not much difference than offroad(at least with me driving and swerving off the track now and then.. [X(])

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-07-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Nice video, I like that FREE track! only missing is a driver stand.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah, it's five minutes away, and free... AND, it's dry a week after it rains. Unlike the local offroad track...(Why that €1200+ race truggy was a stupid investment....) It is kind of hard to see the far side of the track(why I didn't run there..) The 1/5 onroad gasser guys race there and stand on top of a van...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LCUOc61_Q
Old 03-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Hot-damn this thing is fun... Tried a new pipe today - Nosram 2063 - and the car was ballistic, even with this old Mach.. BUT, this was the first time I ran it without this stupid silicone tube sticking off the pipe stinger.. Think maybe that was what was laming the performance down.. Wondering now - again - about what engine to run in this thing.. After seeing the Mach powerdrifting all over the place today, I'm wondering if I really need the Losi 454 28. I also got an OS 28 (dirt cheap and used on ebay) on the way... To be honest, power-wise I'm happy as a clam right now... Might even just sell the 28's and get another Mach.. What great engines they are.... (My 2nd gear crapped out, but even with just 1st, I was smoking the 1/5 gassers on the track.. Not kidding, there were all these people watching, and they were gasping and laughing when I'd chase them down and power-drift through the corners... - all in 1st gear..)

Anyway, today it was a drifting powerhouse.. BUT, I lost 2nd gear.. Something in the 2-speed was binding.. I messed with the various screws, but in the end nothing work and my second-gear SG got toasted...

What's the deal with adjusting these 2-speeds? Though I do like the quality of the car and it's been a blast - I have like 12 tanks on it and the 2-speed is toast. This on a car with ZERO local parts support, which I got over an Inferno GT2 because of all the bad stuff I read about the 2-speed on it.. Kind of a stupid situation really...
Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just replaced my 2nd gear as well. At first I chalked it up to some some rocks that got bound up in it because I had pulled some from them before. But after closer inspection of the clutch bearings they were both already worn.

I noticed some play in the cb so I took it all apart and the front small bearing (5x8x2.5mm) already had quite a bit of play in it and the the other one (5x10x4mm) already felt gritty. I was surprised because I have only run about 10 packs on the car.

I will watching the bearings a little closer from now on. That 2 speed cb at 2650kv rpms must be hell on small bearings.

Here is a complete list of bearings for the DM-1 and a few options of where you can get them:
http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/dm-1.bearing.kit.html

Old 03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Is it possible to use an Losi LST2 19/26 clutch-bell? I guess I would need a different 2nd gear.. But which one, and is it a straight-up change? I think a higher-count on the 2-speed gears would be in order, or? Stock you need forever to top out it seems...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-14-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Champion

Just checked the clutch.. The two front 5x8 bearings were toast...

How do you get them out of there btw? Without resorting to a hammer and chisel...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-14-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Car goes backwards?

OK, so I'm deeply ashamed I have to ask you all this question but I just can't figure out why my car is running backwards once I crank it. I can change the polarity on my starter box and it has no effect on which direction the wheels go. I would have thought that changing that polarity would solve the problem but it didn't. Now,I had been running a single speed in the Dm-1 (I ran it as a Dirt Oval car last year) but I recently changed it back to the two speed when I wanted to run it in a GT series race. I'm befuddled! Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.