Search

Nitro tourer on rubbers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Nitro tourer on rubbers?

hey guys,
im an electric guy on aphsalt so all we run ir rubbers but im getting interested in nitro tourers still havnt narrowed my options down (g4s, rrr, mtx 4?) but a major thing is can you use rubbers on nitro cars ie will the be competitive with foams?
its just i dont have warmers that fit foams i dont have a lathe and i would have to buy all new foams verse using some old rubber tires.
cheers, any experience with nitro's on rubbers would be nice to hear.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
hey guys,
im an electric guy on aphsalt so all we run ir rubbers but im getting interested in nitro tourers still havnt narrowed my options down (g4s, rrr, mtx 4?) but a major thing is can you use rubbers on nitro cars ie will the be competitive with foams?
its just i dont have warmers that fit foams i dont have a lathe and i would have to buy all new foams verse using some old rubber tires.
cheers, any experience with nitro's on rubbers would be nice to hear.
Short answer no. Foam will always be better than rubber in 200mm nitro cars in medium to high traction. Some exceptions are out there like when they ruined Meakin Park with some black goop in 2003 and Wynnums concrete track in these cases rubber is all that works. The only track out there in Brisbane where they are the go is Wynnum currently.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:12 AM
Tech Adept

I used to use rubbers on my nitro and then I finally saw the light now run foams and was amazed at the difference. Lap times improved dramatically, plus getting better race life out of them IMO.
I dont have a tyre lathe either for my foams, so I just rotate them as they wear.
You wont need warmers for foams...well not here in Brisbane anyway

Forgot to mention...best thing about foams NO GLUE
Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Going back about 4 years, I ran a nitro touring car on Oval with BSR Capped Rubber tires, and they lasted for at least 2 full weekends of racing, and sometimes I could get as many as 6 weekends out of left side rubber. I had a set of these still fresh in a bag. I ran them and had better traction than anybody with foams on a touring track and nobody could catch me, HOWEVER, at $20 each, or $80 for a set, they are too expensive for touring racing, but perfect for oval racing. I think this is why capped tires are not allowed by Roar. Not only are they expensive, but any rubber tire needs to be balanced to be true.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

We had a spec class one year and we could only run rubber tires. We would use a set of rubber tire a race day. We also ran very cheap engines that did not have alot of horsepower. If you hit a wall or had a crash with anyone the sidewall would get cut and then that whole side of the tire would rip open and the foam insert would come out and then you would spin out.

Foams are alot faster but I would not say that they last alot longer then rubber tires.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A couple months ago at a club meeting it was wet wet in the morning so i went to rubbers and i was the only one putting in whole laps, however when it started to dry out the car became very twitchy and hard to drive. Foams are much quicker in the wet.

My experiences are foams will slide but still have some form of traction, however if you slide enough with rubber tyres they will get to a certain point and just let go cause your car to spin.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

The BRCA in the UK run a national Foam and Rubber chamionship. The rubber class has dropped off and most people do foam racing now.

Rubber tyres are slower given the same car and driver and are more expensive.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Rubber tire will work better on low traction dusty surfaces. In these conditions, foam tire is like driving on ice while the rubber will grip. You should always try foam tires first though.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

foam and rubber,hmmmm there just different,both fun to drive,foams are faster,rubber you need to drive better,