Wiki Posts
Search

Track system? Suggestions for club

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default Track system? Suggestions for club

Hi everyone,

My local club in the UK has recently purchased carpet to race on after years of racing on polished wood floors.

We currently use the roadrail track system as its easy to store. However we now have a large container for our carpet so storage of the track system is not a problem.

We basically want something that stops cars from crossing lanes etc. Ive seen the images from Vegas and from other indoor events in the US and wondered if this is the best track system? If so how is it made and put together? Or if not what is best.

All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance
Old 10-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The track I race uses the rain gutter down spounts in PVC faction.

THey are a bit pricey but Foam tires don't chunk, cars don't go flying into uncoming lanes and with velcro they can be secured to the carpet.
PM TireShredder here on RC tech to get the full run down.
Or click the link in my signature for Bending Corners Racway there should be contact info there.
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

I help run a club in the South East and we have worked quite hard on getting a car friendly track marking system. Like Mr Shookie says, we use 4" square downpipe at various lenghts from about 60cm upto 250cm with 50mm wide hook velcro to secure it to the carpet, works great. One thing to consider is that there are two types, cheap and a more expensive 'frost proof' type, the frost proof is more pliable and as such tends not to crack or break quite so easily, it's also a bit softer so easier on the cars.

To join the lenghts we use timber joining blocks machined so that they are a good fit into the ends of the downpipe, these are great for the straight sections around the perimeter and anywhere on the track where you want 'straights', for sweepers and bends, we use the same blocks but 'half joint' them and bolt them through the half joint (any decent carpenter would be able to do this) and for the hairpins, we have made up some 'ramped' sections from 18mm MDF with a rubber buffer, I would have to try and get a picture to show you but they work really well.

HTH
Old 10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Tech Rookie

We have a portable system that we use for parking lot racing. We have taken 4" diameter sewer pipe in 10' lengths, and ripped them in half on a table saw. They are now half round pipe, still in 10' lengths. The sewer pipe have bell ends, so that about 6 inches of one end fit over 6 inches of the smaller end. We then use drywall screws to attach the joints. For junctions, we have ripped in half some T fittings, 45 and 90 degree elbows.
This is light, easy to store (the pipe nests into itself). I haul all the pipe we need to layout a 100'x60' road course on the roof racks of my 1990 Bronco II SUV. We also painted the pipe yellow to be more visable (the pipe comes in white, but we set up on a basketball court, and the while lines and white pipe got confusing)
This has proved to be an inexpensive track layout, and very forgiving on the cars.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Track making thread
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Club Manual

Hi Sleighty

If you ask your club secretary, they should have a copy of the BRCA Club Manual (if not ask him why not and download one from http://www.brca.org/BRCA/library/Club_Manual.pdf )

In there is an entire chapter (Chapter 20, pages 87/88) on track building including all you need to know about tubing, where to get it how to fasten it together etc etc.