Wiki Posts
Search

going onroad too, info?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default going onroad too, info?

I recently got back into 1/10 off road (after over a decade hiatus) with the truck in my sig. I now am looking to expand my bigger scale fun by getting an on-road 1/10 electric. What is the hands down best high-line, most tuneable and bash (not abuse) friendly 4wd TC?

I come from 1/18 TC (XRAY), so i do have a few preferences for my car-

1. shaft drive

2. able to handle Mamba Max 7700

3. comes from the factory with alot of top of the line upgrades and selected components, fully loaded

4. can be driven with proper clearance on asphalt but can be dialed for finer surfaces

5. support readily available- parts, etc available semi-easily stateside

6. doesn't use strapping tape to hold batteries, has some sort of band provision or bar. i will not ever, EVER use tape.

7. Carbon, composites and exotic materials make me feel good. I'd prefer something with a CF chassis with Ti and various alloy bits

8. primarily a rubber tire car

9. NOT a pan car ; ) by pan, i mean a 1/10 scale rc12l looking thing haha

cost is not really a concern, as long as it's got what i want.

thanks!!!!

Last edited by builthatch; 10-24-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

with that discription of yours. i would say ft tc4.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

I would say either a TC4 or EVOV MS
Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

tc4 would probly be good. a yok mr4tc-sd is great, but its a little harder to get parts. you can get them, but alot of hobby shops dont carry their parts. i have to order mine from california. but i must say i have never broken it. if you get the ssg or black special, it will last you a long time without breaking. ive had mine almost a year and never broken anything. parts can be found for it though, even though you hardly ever need them.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

dang, good info guys. I am considering the FT TC4 as well as the EV0 5, i could not figure out if the Tamiya was worth the extra cash by scanning the features alone, they seem oh-so-similar!

I will admit, there is something inside me that resent AE stuff...maybe i have to overcome that haha

I have not even looked, are the Tamiya parts easily had stateside thru many outlets online outlets? I don't have a LHS so-to-speak, tho i do like to keep it real and order from Cruizin W/ RC's up in northern NJ because they are a great shop...but, if it means getting the better car, as long as i can get parts in the U.S., i'm happy.

The Yokomo looks nice, but i can't seem to understand what each of the high line kits offer because the web site falls down one some of its hyperlinks. I have a feeling it would be a nightmare to upgrade and service that thing vs. the others....
Old 10-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

I am in Australia but have read everywhere in the tamiya threads that speedtechrc and a few others carry tamiya and can get parts to your door in a matter of days. Having recently moved to a Tamiya Chassis being the TRF415MSX I can tell you IMHO Tamiya are worth the extra money.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

upgrading the chassis on the yok is hard, because they dont make many parts for that. but you can upgrade nearly everything else. and the gear ratio is great. on the ssg and black special, they are the exact same car, only one is black cf and the other is white. i wish i could help you understand the site better, but i must say its hard for me to also. if you are looking for constant contact with part availability, then it wont be the best car. but it is extreemly nice, easy to maintain, and easy to buildand if you do get it and need some help finding stuff, just get in touch with me because i know the main outlets for it.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

site called yokomo usa its were you can find parts for the yokomo ssg (silver) or black..i used to run yokomo i always buy stuff off the internet..either rc-mushroom or yokomo usa.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

the site is hard to understand on most parts. plus some your local hobby shop might know of the car and be able to get the parts. otherwise it is a yokomousa.com
Old 10-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

since you are primarily running rubber, if you decide on the TC4 you should also get the ITF chassis kit, it has a little more flex in it so provide you with more traction than the standard chassis
Old 10-24-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

just trying too give you some options.

for support http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14121 if you choose the yokomo sd

for more choices http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=shaft
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pinggoy
just trying too give you some options.

for support http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14121 if you choose the yokomo sd

for more choices http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=shaft
thanks guys- i actually stumbled across that second thread when i was searching before...

i hunted around all the shaft/ belt threads (there are PLENTY) and saw some reference to power handling between the two types. I am going to run the same BL setup i have in my truck, the CC MM 7700. Shaft doesn't present a durability issue with that, does it? Control, TQ steer, etc...I have faith in my skill set, however, im just curious if shaft is a-ok to run with sick power.

thanks alot y0!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Shaft does have torque steer, it is just the nature of the layout. A belt car would be easier to drive in that they do not posess torque steer by nature. You can apply power a little more smoothly in a belt car. I prefer belt and you are hard pressed to find shaft drive cars anymore other then older ones since mostly everything is belt driven now. AE even has a belt car about ready for production, so what does that tell you?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

I am not giving my opinion of what TC is the BEST......

but I will say that the Xray cars are the EASIEST cars to go fast with and the most durable...period!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

i would have to second that the xray cars are a builders dream they are so easy to adjust and work on and the fit and finish is superb. i have only driven mine about 10 times but i love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.