Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor Help

I have a TA-04R chassie and I'm having hook up issues, I'm running a 14 double turn motor on it with a 120T spur gear to a 45T pinion gear, I have the feeling my setup is about to get laughed at, but I'll openly admit I'm a newbie when it comes to understanding these cars. But anyways I have some decent tires on it and I still have issues hooking up on carpet even being easy on the throttle.

Anyone have some less torquey set up advice?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

What tires are you running? Are you having trouble hooking up all 4 tires, or just the front or rear?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Right, please tell us a bit more about your car's setup, like exactly what tires it's using, the oil in your shocks, the springs on them, ride height, toe & camber angles, etc. That'll help us point you in the right direction....
Old 10-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We all started out having problems, from reading and asking for help you become more experienced and then able to help others out.

No one will laugh at you regardless of your setup. I still run a TL01 when I have some spare time.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

If you're running a motor with adjustable timing...Maybe you can increase your motor timing, if gives more RPM & less torque. You could also use softer motor springs,that also increases RPM and dscreases torque.

Other than that,the TA04-R is a chassis that is capable of taking very low turn mods and still handles well on carpet...Just need to learn more about chassis tuning. Come to RC Tech more often & read up some good RC mags like Xtreme RC .....
Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I have hard springs, medium weight oil in the dampers, running purple spec foam tires on the front and rear for carpet and some extra wide treaded tires for pavement. The rear tires tend to not hook on both pavement and carpet.

The suspension setting are stock to what the instructions told me to put them at. I haven't been brave enough to attempt messing with them yet. I would assume it's just like how you do it with a real car, but I don't want to cause more problems.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

A 14 double mod motor is hard for anyone to drive, much less a newbie. Running a car on a track is much different that just running the car wide open on the street. To learn control, do what your doing and work on your set up. Also, I would get a stock motor and learn to drive. Most drivers use a stock motor for years before going with a faster motor and that's if it ever happens. At big races, the difference between stock and mod is about a second a lap, so don't think stock is slow.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Rookie

When I bought the car that is the motor the salemen told me to buy, I get the feeling he wasn't real intrested in helping me. But I'm not sure what is meant by a stock motor?
Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well, that depends on the racing series you're dealing with. For most club races & big events in the US(except for Tamiya's TCS races) a stock motor is a 27 turn motor with locked timing & bushings, follows guidelines by the sanctioning body called ROAR, hence the term ROAR legal stock motors(& you'll see ROAR stamped on the can of legal stocks). But for Tamiya's TCS races a stock motor is the silvercan motors that come with their kits(they have no labels & we usually refer to them as Mabuchi or johnson motors), those are slower than ROAR legal stocks, but make for a MUCH easier time for the driver to get used to driving their cars. Now, aside from that, about your setup, I would consider making some changes, like going to a softer rear spring, & also a softer rear tire(try something like Jaco's Pink or Double Pink compound in the rear of your car, that'll calm it down a GREAT deal, though you will still have a hard time hooking up foams on paved surfaces, that's what rubber tires are better suited for). And about your gearing, that'll really depend on how big & open your track is, the more room you have for the car to wind out & rev, the better a tall gearing like yours will do, but on a tight, demanding technical track, you need to gear shorter than that to avoid overstressing the motor(as a rule, I try to gear my cars to hit their top speed about 80% of the way down the longest straightaway, usuallt gives a good balance of speed & acceleration without overloading the motor & wearing it out prematurely).....
Old 10-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A stock motor is a 27t single with fixed timing.

It is a solid motor and can take a lot of beating, it is a good motor for learning, but depending on how new you are you might want to start off with a 540 Chrome

the chrome is slow but can handle lots of heat and abuse and will just keep on going

the other thing is price, Chrome are about $10 whuile stock are around $40
Old 10-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you! Looks like I'm going to have to take a trip to the hobby shop this week and get my car running right.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well I guess stock motors in the USA is 27turn.

We here in Asia uses 23turn motors as our stock motors.

It has been so for quite sometime and I'm loving it...
Old 10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah,another thing to consider is maintenance. Since you are just starting out, I'm assuming you are as experienced with rebuilding motors. With a stock motor, you'll get in more runs between rebuilds which need or can include skimming the comm with a motor lathe, new brushes, etc. Also, because the 14 double pulls more power through it, it will be harder on all your stuff; ESC, tires, etc. Don't want to discourage you, but I think the salesman might have not totally informed you about everything, unless all you asked him was for a motor that runs fast.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Well I guess stock motors in the USA is 27turn.

We here in Asia uses 23turn motors as our stock motors.

It has been so for quite sometime and I'm loving it...
Right, but since joey D is from the US, I didn't want to confuse things too much(but it's true that Asian tracks use 23 turn motors as their stockers, & from what I hear & have seen, they're just about on par with decent 19 turn motors(have tested a couple of Tamiya's 23 turn motors & they looked pretty darn stout)....