EddieO for ROAR President >

EddieO for ROAR President

EddieO for ROAR President

Old 10-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default EddieO for ROAR President

Regional Races:

The main focus of my efforts as president will be fixing the regional race system. While some regions have moderate turnout for their regional races, others are struggling for attendance, and in some cases a track willing to host the event. It makes it difficult for Tracks to see the point in hosting a regional event and sharing money with ROAR for little/no benefit for the track or the racer. Fifteen years ago, ROAR regionals were some of the most highly attended and prestigious races in the U.S. Winning a ROAR regional back then was a big step towards becoming recognized as a racer and getting sponsored. In present day, regional events are over glorified club races at best.

ROAR needs to show the racer incentive to enter regional events. The drive and ambition of racers participating in the Tamiya Championship Series is what ROAR needs to get back. Racers are driven to enter and win the TCS regionals because the series awards the top 10 finishers form each respective class a spot in the national event. (Incentive 1: you have to qualify to race in the national) From there if the racer decides to participate in the national, the winner of each class at the national event is awarded and expense paid trip to compete in the world championships. (Incentive 2: win the national, you are invited to the worlds).

ROAR can and needs this type of racing… racing with a purpose.

Convincing a racer to pay $30 in membership fees, and then another $30 in race entry fees for a cheap bowling trophy is not easy. However if you tell them that he/she has a chance to qualify for nationals and possibly get some travel money and things will change.

I woud like to see some sort of travel awarded to regional winners. There are a lot of regions and a lot of classes, its will to take some time and some research to see what is feasible, but something is possible and something needs to be done to restore these races to their former glory.

National Qualifier system:

Right now, simply anyone can get into Nationals if they sign up quickly enough. The problem is this just creates a large club race. Presently club racers and team drivers alike need simply sign up for national events. With the regional qualification system in place, drivers will ALL earn their spot in the national, preventing factory teams from flooding the classes with team drivers. All drivers at the national will have to have qualified at some point before the entries are open for the national.

Results from regional championships should be used as the main qualification for nationals. Obliviously a system will need to be in place to allow waivers and such for others who may not of been able to attend regionals, just as IFMAR does with the world championships. However we need to get serious, and send a message that nationals are the biggest title around and you need to earn your spot to be there, not just be the lucky guy who signed up first. Worlds is done like this our nationals should be no different.

Minor local events:

Make it where level 1 events can be sanctioned by ROAR, but do not require ROAR memberships to compete in. This may seem counter productive. Many people don’t see the value in ROAR. Allowing these events to be sanctioned will allow them to utilize ROAR rules. Racers will appreciate a clear and concise set of rules that easily accessible to everyone. The goal will be that racers and tracks will begin to see the value in a ROAR membership and hopefully join. If enough of these races begin to happen, they would be the first step in developing a national point system.

National events:

(Snowbirds, Cleveland, etc) --We need to use a similar process with these large-scale races. These events all use a ROAR based rule system for the most part, and 2005 saw the US indoor champs in Cleveland, WAIT for a ruling from ROAR on Two-Stage tires before allowing them to be used at the event. Why let these races use ROAR rules if they are not going to sanction the race? I am confident that if we allow these races to be sanctioned and use ROAR rules but without requiring ROAR memberships… within a few years, we could probably get them to require ROAR memberships. A majority of the racers at these events are more than likely ROAR members already. We need to show the value and importance of ROAR before we shove it down people’s throats.

We need to quit preaching the main reason to join ROAR is the insurance. To be frank, the insurance is pretty much a joke unless you are a CLUB that uses a park or something to host a race. Any permanent hobby shop with a track or affiliated with a track already has insurance, as do the big race events. The insurance is also very limited. It should be a side benefit, not the main benefit to being a member.

Manufacturer support:

Simply put, we need the companies to step forth and support ROAR. They continue to capitalize on advertising for winning ROAR events. ROAR continues to allow the use of these products in their events. Many companies are becoming more and more race oriented, so it’s in their best interest for ROAR to exist and for these titles to be the most prestigious in the land around.

I suggest ALL companies who have approved products be required to be ROAR affiliates. If at any time, they are not, the product becomes unapproved for use at ROAR races. I know this may sound harsh, but the simple fact is, they are using these races as means for testing, developing, and marketing of their products. ROAR needs to capatilize on this and use this for additional funding.

Requiring companies to be affiliates also gives ROAR more authority to discipline them for breaking ROAR rules. Again, this may sound harsh, but it happens in a lot of other sports. Fine or Sanctions against teams caught breaking the rules and such will help keep things on the up and up.

Lastly, we need to get the manufacturers to include a ROAR membership form in every car kit and possibly expand this to include information on how to get into racing, where to go, etc. The cost of this would be minimal and would certainly help raise awareness of ROAR to a ton of potential new racers. Go buy a set of poker cards and chips, don’t be surprised when you see the information in the package on where and how to get started in playing poker.

Establishment of National Tracks:

The money saved from the printing and distribution of rev-up can be used to fund National ROAR owned tracks. Non-Profit organizations can have assets, so what better way to use the money? Give us permanent tracks across the nation that can be used for regional, national, and world events. This is a long-term goal, but easily doable with the right support from the membership and the manufacturers.

Consistent, Precise and Fair Rules:

Consistent product approvals with ample lead-time and notification of the membership are needed. No more last minute approvals before a race. However not to limit advancements in the technology. The doors need to be opened up to allow for better equipment that lasts longer. Our stone age pricing limits and outdated technology rules are doing nothing but holding back or slowing product development, thus costing racers more money.

We also need to start publishing when products were submitted, that way the membership will be up to date on what is possibly going to be legal. Not to single out any manufacturer, but the two-week lead-time for the approval of brushless systems that were not commercially available nor gone through the approval process was complete bunk. It tarnished the outcome of the race and made ROAR look very bad.

Amendments to the Bylaws to protect the membership from unrecorded meetings and “good ole boy club” currently running ROAR from the top. The bylaws of ROAR are meant to be followed; yet they get broken multiple times per year. Accountability is required for Non-profit organizations, and is needed to give the members faith.

So yes, I am saying spend the money in a few different ways. We may come up short, we may need to increase fees, and we may need to get the manufacturers to chip in more…

The proposed uses of the money I am presenting gives a much better and more progressive value than what is being proposed, or has already been invoked by my opponents. Do we really need a national race management team, when we have hundreds of capable tracks around the nation who can run these races? Do we really want to spend the money sending our regional directors to races? Or would we rather reward the members? Maybe I am wrong, but who would be more likely to attend an event because the regional director is going to attend, or because they are given incentive to have faith in and support the organization they are members of?

I know some of my ideas may sound or be similar to ones others have posted, but I have been preaching many of these since last year when I intended to run for vice-president, but because of the new backdoor meeting rule that ExComm had passed, I did not qualify. Many Northwest area racers can back it up that I have been discussing my ideas for a while now.

I am only one person and I will only be one vote, but I hope to be the voice that convinces the others to do the right things by the rules, for racing and for the racer.

I would appreciate your vote in the upcoming election, name is is Eddie Goodridge.

A lot of discussions has gone on in this thread all ready

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...4&page=1&pp=30

But feel free to post here, I will be answering questions all the threads.

Any questions, email me at [email protected] or post on here...

Later EddieO
Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey eddie you still looking to be roar prez? we can start a write in campaign!
Old 10-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Tech Legend

I was`nt going to partake in the Roar election until now...

You get my support , bout time someone start the ball rolling..

The problem with the past leadership has been action ...
2 years and what have we got so far ?

approval of brushless
approval of Li-Po

C-On !

We need more ...

Lets get this sport growing, someone with the experience and know how like Eddie is exactly what Roar needs ...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

I suppose we need to hear from Eddie, to see if he is still interested!
I have urged the use of Regionals for qualification for years. It is a must IMO.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I've just voted for you Eddie for the exact reasons you listed above, well done.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Voting for reasons that are 2 years old... classic.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JKA
Voting for reasons that are 2 years old... classic.
haha yeah I wouldn't have expected to even look at the date on something like this since it just popped up and the recent posts looked promising, very classic indeed. It's a good thing that a handful of people vote anyway, but with the online voting maybe that will change. it was sort of too much trouble before.

this must have been during the mike queller reign before he stepped down to dawn sanchez.

Who is this Gary guy that is running against Dawn this year?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

EDDIEO has already responded in the electric forum that he is not running this year..... I clicked on the ROAR selection for pres... It only gave two options 1) Dawn Sanchez 2) I don't know the other guy so I pretty much voted for Dawn since she has been pretty good with keeping members upto date with what is going on with ROAR....
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

I am not running, thanks for the vote though!

Dawn is still the wise choice......I may not agree with her all the time and sometimes she ticks me off, but I believe her heart and efforts are in the right place....

I think the main thing still holding back ROAR is the OTHER big races not being ROAR.....get those ROAR, and I think everything will follow if leadership stays on track.....

And I still firmly believe a regional qualifier system for nationals is a must.....we pretty much are the only sport/hobby where just about anyone can go to nationals....no matter how terrible they are.

Mike Queller was worthless....Dawn accomplished more in 2 months than he did in his entire time as president.

Later EddieO
Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

If the racers really want to see Regional Championships once again become the path to a national title it's going to take more than the current president and Excomm to get it done. If racers really want this in ROAR then really pay attention to who your region director is and who might be running. ROAR needs region directors that will push and promote for more ROAR races within their region or even combined with regions. If the region director in your region isn't getting it done then start a write-in campagne. The Excomm will take care of their end of the deal if we can get Region directors to take care of theirs in the near feature. Then and only then will we have a nationals points/qualification system that can work.

Last edited by schurcr; 10-06-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

IMHO we don't have a lot of R.O.A.R. in Calif. (Maybe there's more that I don't see), but I can tell you that RUBEN does a lot to keep R.O.A.R. alive in the Nor-Cal area.

RUBEN! Keep up the GOOD WORK and the GOOD Fight!

btw - the R.O.A.R. Region 12 PAVED Championships race at RIPON is coming quick...

Oct. 25th & 26th (This race will also include a 21.5/LIPO Oval Class)

Ruben can get you ALL the needed info for THAT race!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

My only problem with Dawn comes from one race so I don't really have a real firm grasp on what she's done for ROAR. My problem came from the fact that I wasn't able to watch my car being tech'd at nationals a few years back. It's just a personal preference thing and I was legal dispite a rumor going around about the tank testing process being slightly off, but I think you should be able to see it with your own eyes and she was just short with me about it. I imagine she was fairly busy though.

Regionals are pointless right now because they don't qualify you for nats, but then nationals is pointless every other year because it doesn't qualify you for worlds by the same logic.

I believe the last two sedan nationals only got around 100 entries, certainly less than in the past so promotion is really the key here more than just the structure.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

promotion is really the key here more than just the structure.
I would be MOST people would agree MORE Promotion could help R.O.A.R. grow....but that promotion needs to be done to NEW or fairly NEW racers to get them participating in R.O.A.R. events...

BUT, who's going to pay for it? R.O.A.R. is a membership driven organization, and my guess is that memberships are their primary source of funds to be used for virtually everything except the actual costs of National events.

Promotion and advertising isn't cheap, especially if it's effective.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SWTour
I would be MOST people would agree MORE Promotion could help R.O.A.R. grow....but that promotion needs to be done to NEW or fairly NEW racers to get them participating in R.O.A.R. events...

BUT, who's going to pay for it? R.O.A.R. is a membership driven organization, and my guess is that memberships are their primary source of funds to be used for virtually everything except the actual costs of National events.

Promotion and advertising isn't cheap, especially if it's effective.
Agreed, I don't have any form of solution for the problem our hobby is facing short of Kyosho, Serpent and Mugen types stepping up and really pushing it to the mainstream. Kyosho tried hard with the Inferno GT and Mini-Z recently, but they slacked on fully promoted events. ROAR dues are enough to keep all the officials traveling and a minimal salary but that's really about it. I doubt the coffers run deep.

I have looked at running parking lot races at malls, fairs and everything else you can think of that has visual exposure and it's just next to impossible to get an agreement with most people/businesses due to liability so most tracks are off the back roads and unseen because the land is cheap. There is a hobby town in Austin that has mostly new people club racing every weekend in a busy shopping center near a frys, harbor freight and room store (perfect onlookers passing by end up buying cars non stop)

One shop here in houston sells around 500 Tmaxx and Revo's per year (mostly during christmas) and we see maybe 1 or two of those guys at the track one day and they get stomped by the truggies and 8th scales and never show up again.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by schurcr
If the racers really want to see Regional Championships once again become the path to a national title it's going to take more than the current president and Excomm to get it done. If racers really want this in ROAR then really pay attention to who your region director is and who might be running. ROAR needs region directors that will push and promote for more ROAR races within their region or even combined with regions. If the region director in your region isn't getting it done then start a write-in campagne. The Excomm will take care of their end of the deal if we can get Region directors to take care of theirs in the near feature. Then and only then will we have a nationals points/qualification system that can work.
That's the problem I saw the director once last year & have not seen him again I belive it's tater
A region director should make sure they want the title before they take it & then don't show up for any regional races