Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removing carbon zoot

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Removing carbon zoot

OK, I bought an OS TZ in August, broke it in using the Cyrul method, and has been running nice ever since. I attended 3 races so the engine is till fairly new. This past week I had a run away where the throtle servo burnt out and my car flipped upside down and lock full throttle revving reall high. I ran frantically to stop the engine so it must have been at least 15 seconds that it revved at high speed.

I took it apart this weekend to check the internals, and I noticed my glow plug was black at the tip and the top of the piston was also black, as well as the top rim of the sleeve. The engine did run good and has been runing at around 240 degrees. Although during one of my races I had seen it running at 290 but that was a mistake on my tuners part with the needle. I have fixed since then.

My question is how do I clean this zoot out without harming the metals. I am running whitelightning 30% and I have a silver shim and two copper under the head.

Any thoughts. Did I damage anything?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had the same thing happen to me. I bought the os 12tz eb mod for the GLC and the weekend before going, it ran away. I ran it at the GLC, and have ran it quite a few times since and it's fine. I did just replace the connecting rod and that is something you might want to consider doing to. I wouldn't worry about how it looks but I would replace the rod and glow plug. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Normally this is due to a few situations including fuel that uses bad quality castors and oils can cause this.

What fuel you running?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Normally this is due to a few situations including fuel that uses bad quality castors and oils can cause this.

What fuel you running?
All fuels who use Castor oils will leave a tan/brownish residue due to the fact you're burning castor oil insted of synthetic oils who burn at lower temps and protect much less your engines.

Is not bad at all to have tarnish on your combustion chamber/sleeve/piston top. In fact you can see how well or bad is burning looking at those burning marks.

The soot could be cause by an improper carb tunning (generally too rich) and don't generating enough temp to burn the soot.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I used lacquer thinner to melt the black stain in my piston and button head engine and metal polish to remove it.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default Piston Paste

I have been using the JP piston paste, and that seems to work very well. It smells alot like polishing wax that can be found at Auto Zone/Pep Boys. I am sure that is what it is, just a real delicate one. I clean the top of my pistons after every race so I can see how my engine has been running.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Its not a big deal, really. Just get some 600 sand papaer and lay it on a flat surface, just rub the top of the piston on the sandpaper, Voila!!, soot is gone. Just make sure the piston is laying flat on the sandpaper.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

read Cyruls method this works trust me and your running a os change the con rod alot im not joking,or youll blow up that puppy. i did