Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

Default XXX-4 Question

I just picked up a XXX-4 and don’t know much about dirt. I hear that is very fragile. I want to make it as sturdy as possible. I hear there are aluminum front spindles and carriers. Who sells them? Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

here

also try to find some alu. pivot blocks for the front and rear. losi has discontinued them so you gonna have to find them used.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The xxx-4 isn't *that* fragile, but it depends what you crash into of course.

You can double up the front shock tower but then you need longer screws. I ran mine with 1 front shock tower though because I was concerned that a double tower would eventually break the chassis in a hard crash.

I was good enough not to crash really hard but get those front carriers. That's like the #1 broken part I had because the regular plastic ones take a lot of stress from big jump landings. At the time I owned my xxx-4 that place was out of stock the entire time.

Losi aluminum inner pivots are good to have also (both front and rear).

This is an old article but it has some more info:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1349
Old 10-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
The xxx-4 isn't *that* fragile, but it depends what you crash into of course.

You can double up the front shock tower but then you need longer screws. I ran mine with 1 front shock tower though because I was concerned that a double tower would eventually break the chassis in a hard crash.

I was good enough not to crash really hard but get those front carriers. That's like the #1 broken part I had because the regular plastic ones take a lot of stress from big jump landings. At the time I owned my xxx-4 that place was out of stock the entire time.

Losi aluminum inner pivots are good to have also (both front and rear).

This is an old article but it has some more info:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1349

I can attest to this.. I ran the double front towers and broke the chassis today in PRACTICE.. thank god for 5min epoxy..haHA, IT STAYED 4 QUALS AND THE MAIN.. I WON btw.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

The G+ style graphite towers are plenty strong and you only risk breaking a chassis if you double them up. It is alot more expensive replacing a chassis than a shock tower. The only thing that is really needed on this car is a aluminum front pivot. The rest of the car is quite durable. The carriers do break from time to time but not that often. I would keep a set on hand if you do not want to go the aluminum carrier route. Also, the aluminum CVDs are nice but wear out quickly. Replace the aluminum bones with the optional steel units for better durability.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

the fiberglass shock towers are a necessity on the xxx4. the plastic ones break very easily but the fiberglass can take some abuse before cracking. and when they do crack, they still stay together so you can probably finish a race.

the front arms have been updated at some point. look for an "X" shape molded in at the middle of the arm on the top and bottom. those are quite a bit stronger than the original type arms.

these parts from x-factory look like they should also strengthen the car quite a bit. i plan on picking some up soon... http://www.xfactoryrc.com/news_09_27_06.htm

it's not really a fragile car, i raced against a bunch of xx4's today and only broke a castor block due to a high speed run-in with a pipe. it doesn't handle rough parts as well as a xx4, like washboards, but the straightaway speed and corner exit acceleration more than makes up for it.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Those longer Kingpins should help to strengthen the carrier block too. I use the same carrier blocks on my X-5 as the XXX-4 and rarely break one.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Is it a XXX-4 or XXX-4 G+?

Cheers
Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Default xxx 4

they arent that fragile. but wat u wanna stock up on is front shock towers and front arms and spindles
Old 10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Inferno
Is it a XXX-4 or XXX-4 G+?

Cheers
G+
Old 10-09-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i never broke an arm...

but i snapped the chassis, after a huge jump, the inner front pin mount pulled the screws through the chassis, lost the alloy bit to
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Tech Adept

i have never broke a arm..nor a spindle...the car is really strong if it is built correct...but like all r/c cars if you hit something hard..its going to break...the xxx4 is a really good car
RG
Old 10-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I haven't actually raced my XXX4 yet (just got it a few weeks ago from a guy in MN). I've been practicing with it quite a bit, and i broke the chassis in the same place the other dude said he broke his. Also, i've broken 2 ride side steering knuckles. But they are like any other car, when you hit the pipes, they like to break. I broke steering knuckles twice on my T4 FT as well too so i'd say so far they XXX4 is pretty durable. Keep in mind too that 99.9% of the time people are running some freakin insane mod motor in them, and anytime you do that you're not only going faster, but because of the car's accelleration, they car is carrying much more momentem (gotta love those engineering and physics courses )then it would with a stock motor, and therefore hit things harder and stand a bigger chance of breaking the more vulnerable part.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

The 4wd electric buggies are designed for mod motors because this class is a mod class by default. I doubt you will find a pinion recommendation for a stock motor in your XXX-4 manual.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

actually, i believe there is....yup, just checked it......25 tooth pinion and 92 tooth spujr for a stock motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.