Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
how to remove nut that attached to flywheel?? >

how to remove nut that attached to flywheel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to remove nut that attached to flywheel??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default how to remove nut that attached to flywheel??

how do u remove the nut that holds the flywheel onto the engine???
thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hold the flywheel with a flywheel tool or channel locks and loosen the nut. After the nut is loose it is not unusual for the engine to turn over as you try to remove the nut making it seeming impossible to get the nut off.

What I do is get a small wire tie and fold it up and push it through the exhaust port while the piston is at bottom dead center. This will prevent the piston from going up and down and make it possible to remove the nut. The wire tire is soft and won't harm the piston/liner.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking earlier.

I use the OFNA Flywheel Wrench to hold the flywheel and a socket wrench to remove the nut.

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 10-02-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

lol no probs mate, and thanks for advice, i'll try get that tool tomoz or if im feeling poor tomoz i'll get the guy to do it for me
Old 10-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Put a squirt of after run oil in the exhaust port and it will hydraulic lock the piston so it can't turn after you use the channel locks to break the nut loose.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Put a squirt of after run oil in the exhaust port and it will hydraulic lock the piston so it can't turn after you use the channel locks to break the nut loose.
To clarify for the original poster, this is the technique I use for reassembly if the clutch nut is all bugered up with Loctite and the crank still spins. Rotate the crank to get the piston to TDC, fill combustion chamber with after run oil, reinstall glow plug, tighten clutch nut only to where it is snug. After that, you can emty the oil and use channel locks or a clutch tool as pictured to tighten firmly.

For disassembly, just use channel locks or the clutch tool shown and it should come off easily. To break the flywheel free, just rap the back side of the flywheel with a hard piece of plastic like a screwdriver handle and it should pop right off of the collet.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would have to go with Rmd on this one and say that this tool is the easiest way to do it
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
Locking the piston, will either result in the following:

conrod breakage
or
crankshaft pin breaking off...

so ps do not do this, best idea is using the OFNA Flywheel Wrench as pictured above..
Old 10-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chrisanton

conrod breakage
or
Sure it will if you leave it hydro-locked and torque the crap out of it. Please reread what I wrote as that is not what I suggested. I have used this technique for years and it is the best non-contact method for getting a sticky clutch nut STARTED<---key word.

so ps do not do this, best idea is using the OFNA Flywheel Wrench as pictured above..
A flywheel wrench will not do anything for you on an older clutch nut that has Loctite residue or just tight threads until it touches the edge of the flywheel. At that point you can use contact tools for the final torque.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

conrod breakage
or

Like Fraz said, The oil in the cylinder is only if the treads are a little bit tight not to break the nut loose or to do your final tighten up.

If you have the flywheel held tight and the nut keeps spinning the crankshaft over the oil is a great way to hold the crank until the nut is snug on the flywheel. I is the same thing as putting the wire tie in the exhaust port but it puts the pressure more even around the hole top surface of the piston. Then you can use you tool or some channel locks to do the final tighten up on the nut.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Another way that I use is, getting some multi-grips and a hand towel;
put the hand towel around the flywheel and then hold the flywheel in place with the multi-grips (towel is used to avoid damaging the flywheel) and use whatever
tool you use to remove the nut (spanner, socket set. etc)

Hope that helps.
Blazin~
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

YES GUYS I WOULD HAVE TO GO WITH MR.HAWAII FIVE O AND USE THE FLYWHEEL WRENCH