Wiki Posts
Search

Electric On-Road have too many classes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
This is in response to Rocket42's comment:

all you electric diehards, you guys realy need to stop hating on the gas guys, the gas guys bring in more people than anyone. i had a friend he wanted a r/c car i said get an electric you will have much more fun, well he did and all his friends had gas, well his electric went up for sale and he got a gas truck. last i talked to him he was going back to electric because of the tuning. This is what will happen you have to remember the average joe who sees a r/c car race does not think that your x-ray t2 is any different then the cars they sell at radio shack just faster. so when you tell him how much they cost they freak, would you pay 1k for a r/c car like they sell at radio shack just faster. Most people know if its gas you can't buy it at radio shack that its hobby quality and should cost more. So let these guys go out and get there gas cars, get them to the track and let them watch how easy it is to opperate electric and there gas will be up for sale. But don't hate on them because thats how they got into the hobby.

Well, we will see who thinks what came from where when Toys-R-US starts carrying Hasbro nitro trucks .

That being said, no one is hating on Nitro racing or racers. Our point is the amount of classes in electric that is bringing some lag to electric racing. Personally, nitro better look over their shoulder. In a time sure to come, it will be mixed racing and nitro is going to need a revolution. Li-Po/Li-MN/Li-Ion with brushless is really smacking nitros around locally and when/if (probably never) it catches on, the only class you boys will have is 1/8scale on road...thats until someone does an electric conversion on a serpent 959

first off, why don't you do a little research, the hasbro car will only be sold through hobbytown u.s.a., you will not find it at wallmart, toys r us, or any other major chain as of right now. and you are right this does pose a threat. But the real fact of the matter is that for hasbro to even consider making a nitro r/c with all the expensive liability insurance a company of that size would have to carry and a huge marketing budget, they are expecting nitro to be huge. or they wouldn't have invested in it.

i been racing for 10 years and there has always been some reason why elecric is not more popular. but the fact of the matter is the best way for electric to get popular is to look to and follow nitro, what good is lipo-batteries when the race is 5 min. the major problem for electric right now is it too fast, all the emphasis has been put on speed instead of longevity, cars are light as possible which means they break. motors and speed controls are pushed to there limits so they need extensive cooling just to run 5min. how are they gonna run 1 hour straight unless these issues are addressed. Right now it means slowing electrics down.

i like electric if someone asked me whats the best way to get inot r/c i would say electric just as i did with my friend i also told him electric is faster, but as most people find out the cost is huge to make an electric run its best.

all i was trying to say is electric has had this problem even in its hey day in the mid 90's, why is it not more popular most people said cost, now they say too many classes, there is always a reason. all i am trying to say is the attitude of the people is some thing that needs to be looked at as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey look, it's another b!tch thread in electric on-road! Imagine that!

People will run what they can, where they can. Some clubs only offer rubber tire racing, good for them. Other clubs only offer carpet/foam. So what's the problem already? Are people racing? Good. It's when they aren't that we should start to worry. People aren't giving up racing because there is too many classes to select from.

I started racing at a time that there was only 2 classes to chose from in our local area; 1/12th stock and 1/12th mod. The closest track that did 1/8th onroad was way too far to travel to. I like all the different choices that there are. Still, locally there is only 2 classes to chose from; 1/12th stock and 1/10th stock foam. Only occasionally is there a 19 turn class. Would I like more variety, absolutely.

If you don't like what I posted, you probably were either born with your panties in an knot, or are only looking for something to get upset about. Variety is the spice of life, right? Let people have what they want. If you're a promoter or sponsor, promote and sponsor the classes you would like to see suceed. It's not the big hurdle that everyone makes it out to be.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmay70
Hey look, it's another b!tch thread in electric on-road! Imagine that!

People will run what they can, where they can. Some clubs only offer rubber tire racing, good for them. Other clubs only offer carpet/foam. So what's the problem already? Are people racing? Good. It's when they aren't that we should start to worry. People aren't giving up racing because there is too many classes to select from.

I started racing at a time that there was only 2 classes to chose from in our local area; 1/12th stock and 1/12th mod. The closest track that did 1/8th onroad was way too far to travel to. I like all the different choices that there are. Still, locally there is only 2 classes to chose from; 1/12th stock and 1/10th stock foam. Only occasionally is there a 19 turn class. Would I like more variety, absolutely.

If you don't like what I posted, you probably were either born with your panties in an knot, or are only looking for something to get upset about. Variety is the spice of life, right? Let people have what they want. If you're a promoter or sponsor, promote and sponsor the classes you would like to see suceed. It's not the big hurdle that everyone makes it out to be.
I hope you werent referring to my questions as bitching. If so you really need to have your internet connection taken away.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Rocket, I know it will be through Hobbytown only. But lets be honest, how long do you think that will actually last??? Many people will see the car, demand will grow and unfortunately, the people who will be most interested may not have either a: the internet or b: credit cards . Either way you slice it, you can almost guarantee, somehow or another, they will end up in chain retail. Simple economic 101 supply and demand!

That being said, we are in agreeance that electric racing is in a state of flux. Regardless the circumstance or the combination of circumstances, something must be done. Somewhere in this thread, there was an individual that said it best: Have a racer with one car participate in one class. Not removing motors and tires and participating in other classes. Hands down, this would level the playing field, streamline racing a bit and motivate people to get better to rise in the rankings. Thats if they really are competitive.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:40 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Talking

There are too many, everyone should run 19T foam.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Desolas
There are too many, everyone should run 19T foam.
I agree with 19T but rubber tires...

LOL. That's the argument at our track all the time. The top guys always run in 19T but they cant agree on which tire to run.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Too many classes, Yes.
In my opinion, 3 in touring, 2 in 1/12scale, and open pro10.
Touring; stock (novice), 19t (sportsman), Open (pro)
1/12; stock (sportsman), open (pro)
PRO 10; run what you brung ( hope you brung enough)
Rubber tires outdoor, foams on carpet in tourers
That's all that's needed.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocket42
first off, why don't you do a little research, the hasbro car will only be sold through hobbytown u.s.a., you will not find it at wallmart, toys r us, or any other major chain as of right now. and you are right this does pose a threat. But the real fact of the matter is that for hasbro to even consider making a nitro r/c with all the expensive liability insurance a company of that size would have to carry and a huge marketing budget, they are expecting nitro to be huge. or they wouldn't have invested in it.

i been racing for 10 years and there has always been some reason why elecric is not more popular. but the fact of the matter is the best way for electric to get popular is to look to and follow nitro, what good is lipo-batteries when the race is 5 min. the major problem for electric right now is it too fast, all the emphasis has been put on speed instead of longevity, cars are light as possible which means they break. motors and speed controls are pushed to there limits so they need extensive cooling just to run 5min. how are they gonna run 1 hour straight unless these issues are addressed. Right now it means slowing electrics down.

i like electric if someone asked me whats the best way to get inot r/c i would say electric just as i did with my friend i also told him electric is faster, but as most people find out the cost is huge to make an electric run its best.

all i was trying to say is electric has had this problem even in its hey day in the mid 90's, why is it not more popular most people said cost, now they say too many classes, there is always a reason. all i am trying to say is the attitude of the people is some thing that needs to be looked at as well.
Actually, The hasbro cars will be sold through Wal-Mart, Target and Hobbytown USA. The parts will be exclusively carried by HTUSA. Nitro cars are more attractive to individuals with no hobby experience because everyone believes that Nitro vehicles are faster than electrics, which in many cases is true. Unfortunately Nitro vehicles are inherently more difficult to operate, and tend to wear components more quickly due to the extra mass involved. Not exactly user friendly, regardless of how much Traxxas tells you it is. All you have to do is stand in a hobby shop for a few hours and see the number of Nitro vehicles brought in that "just won't run", compared to electrics, and that point will be driven home.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Tech Legend

Using motor`s as base for defining class`s will have to
change if you wish to get racer`s racing each other again .

Should be base on experience, not the motor you purchase...

novice
Intermediate
Pro

would fix the problem and racing would begin to improve ...
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
I agree with 19T but rubber tires...

LOL. That's the argument at our track all the time. The top guys always run in 19T but they cant agree on which tire to run.
Rubber on asphalt is sure, but rubber tire racing is a terrible waste of a good chassis on carpet.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

The connection between too many classes in Electric On-Road and participation in electric in general seems to lack any mention of Off-Road. Is it dead in the US? It isn't here in the UK, or Europe.

Touring Car is doing too much intellectual masturbation about it's role in the Electric RC World. TC is an electric class, as is Off-Road and 12th (and Oval and MiniStock here) but TC's sub-division into 19T, Mod, Stock, Foam, Rubber, etc. are not classes, just variations on a theme.

Seems to me that more variation is just a reflection of the niche marketing that everyone has to do to survive in todays market. If TC were just one class without variations, would it survive?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

I think at the club level less classes does help it survive. If 12 people show up to race with 4 different combo of motors, tires, and skill levels then the racing isnt going to be much fun. Now have them all run together with the same stuff or two classes based on skill and you have more fun. Then you have something to work from and build. Im not sure what most race programs are like but where I race we have 25-30 people on a regular basis that run in the following classes

- Monster Truck (electric and nitro)
- Novice (run what you brung)
- Nitro Pro
- 12th Scale (usually runs with one of the electric touring classes based on #'s)
- 1/10th TC - Stock Rubber Tires
- 1/10th TC - 19T and we argue weekly about tires

Then time to time we have people that want to run mod. As you can see with only 25 people and 6 classes no one class has that many people. We all make the A-main but a B-main might be fun every once in a while.

Now would more people want to race if there were only 2 classes or would less? I dunno. Im racing regardless but my preference would be for the larger classes.

By the way Im not sure my definition of class is the same as everyone elses. I use class as a variation (either by motor, tire, scale, skill level, etc)
Old 09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by or8ital
seaball, you are clearly annoyed by every topic discussed on here. What brings you back?
Seaball comes back for all the ladies and free booze.... wait a minute...

Chris where were ya' in vegas? Jimmy said you had to work.

Anyways, my track races just 1/12th stock and touring stock. We always have a few full heats of each even in the lean months of summer. I just don't understand why you would race anything else?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well here in one track in NZ we run, 1/12th Mod, 540, Mod (12t), TT01 , Hpi Challenge (Hpi Sprint 2's) , and 200m gas, and next year 27t stock will be back.

Last edited by savageguy; 09-29-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From what I've seen, usually the question about are there too many classes is usually based around the lack of completely filled classes. Meaning that nobody really complains when you have 7 different classes, and ALL 7 have 8-10 people in them. The complaint of too many classes usually means that there are 3 guys here, 2 guys there, 3 over there, etc... So it doesn't seem, to me at least, that the problem is 'how many' classes.

The real problem seems to be, 'why aren't there enough racers' to fill all these classes.

And the answer to that has to be posed to the 6-7+ guys who post "Complete Sell Out" post every day on this boards buy/sell section. And thats just this board alone!

Apparently the hobby is missing something thats causing all these people to leave and leave those of us remaining with "too many" classes and not enough people to fill them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.