Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is electric 1/10th scale off road dead? >

Is electric 1/10th scale off road dead?

Is electric 1/10th scale off road dead?

Old 09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Is electric 1/10th scale off road dead?

Like most, I started running off road tamiya's in the 80's. In the early 90's you could find electric off road tracks almost everywhere. Now that I have a B4 on the way, I have found that there is NO ONE running electric 10th scale off road.....What is your take on the situation?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

Here is Sydney its booming, record entries in most categories, with the possible exception of Mod Truck, but generally, entries are over the top all year. State titles last weekend was massively attended by people from all over the country.

Mike

Originally Posted by Ginsu
Like most, I started running off road tamiya's in the 80's. In the early 90's you could find electric off road tracks almost everywhere. Now that I have a B4 on the way, I have found that there is NO ONE running electric 10th scale off road.....What is your take on the situation?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

It's big here in Oregon too! But it rains a lot so that explains that...

Indoor nitro SUCKS!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Default Florida

You guys should consider yourselves lucky. It is dead here in Florida.........Have you ever heard of the WinterChamps that used to be held in Tampa Florida?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I think once the governing bodies realize that 5 minute quals and mains are outdated and up the track time. Electric will make a comback. .. with the technologies out now, nobody is struggling to make a 5 minute qualie. the last time I ran electric I had GP3300 and would come in with at least another 3-4 minutes of runtime left in the pack. Now with 4200's and lipo getting ready to take off. The rules need to be adjusted to fit the times....once that happens electric will be alot easier to sell....
Old 09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

The other thing that will boost electric sells is brushless motors. It is nice not to have to rebuild them every 6 to 10 runs. In some places electric has died off but that will eventually change. I doubt electric will ever die. 4wd electric has actually been enjoying a resurgence in popularity. There are more choice in this class then ever.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by underway
I think once the governing bodies realize that 5 minute quals and mains are outdated and up the track time. Electric will make a comback. .. with the technologies out now, nobody is struggling to make a 5 minute qualie. the last time I ran electric I had GP3300 and would come in with at least another 3-4 minutes of runtime left in the pack. Now with 4200's and lipo getting ready to take off. The rules need to be adjusted to fit the times....once that happens electric will be alot easier to sell....
We are running 8 minute mains here and the problem isn't run time, it's heat.
With these new SHV packs the motors get REALLY hot if you race longer than 6 minutes.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Tech Rookie

brushless all the way baby. about 20 runs already and havent even adjusted the motr screws. i woulnt race electric off road if not for brushless. now only if the tires would last more than 1 race meet. $30 a set each meet is hitting me hard.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Addict

You guys should consider yourselves lucky. It is dead here in Florida.........Have you ever heard of the WinterChamps that used to be held in Tampa Florida?
there's still the losi race in april.......isn't there?
Old 09-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Never even considered heat. I havent run electric in over 2 years...maybe even 3. So I'm kinda out of the loop but I know I hear alot of guys enjoy nitro because of the run time.....
Old 09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

the losi race in florida is including 1/8 this year, and electric guys cry if the track is not super smooth blue groove.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Default New race

I would like to see another Big Electric Off Road race in Florida, I am just wondering if there is enough interest out there.........
Old 09-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Default Retro

What would be really cool is a retro race, with all of the old buggies from the 80's....original RC10's hornets, grasshoppers, frogs....................I see that happening in the very near future...........bring back some of the old school fun.............
Old 09-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What would be really cool is a retro race, with all of the old buggies from the 80's....original RC10's hornets, grasshoppers, frogs....................I see that happening in the very near future...........bring back some of the old school fun.............
Nah, those buggies were cheap. They would never hold up to the power we run these days. Come on man, think big !
Old 09-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

My son and I race electric stadium trucks at an outdoor track. We run against all nitros.

We can't last for the 15 minute mains (we could with brushless, just haven't spent the money yet), but my 11 year old son or I are are often times the TQ. (We're scored in a separate class, but run with the nitros).

Everyone always says "long run time with nitro", but you should see those guys running around trying to get their engines going, then it dies at the starting grid, or flips on a jump and dies. My son and I walk up, flip the switch to "on", walk to the drivers stand and race. No hassle electric - I love it.

Like others have said, brushless and 4200 mAh batteries, would be ideal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.