Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey i have an electric 8 and was just wondering if anyone else has had the bearing spacer on the center diff fuse to the case like in the picture?

Last edited by jrr102486; 12-09-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by jrr102486
hey i have an electric 8 and was just wondering if anyone else has had the bearing spacer on the center diff fuse to the case like in the picture?
your bearing went bad and the houseing shifted over and was rubbing on the spacer. Get the alloy spacer.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Originally Posted by fishin4cars
Thanks, I called my LHS and they had the CRC no-pop offs in stock! All I needed was a part # for them to look that one up. As for the servo. Thanks for the input. when the time comes I'll invest in $100 servo's but for now JR-650z will just have to do the trick. I can pick them up for $42 each and they can handle what I need for now. When and if they do go I'll look into the hitech's or the JR 9000t and s ones. Hopefully the new Spektrum radio will fix my problem of burning out steering servo's on my monstor truck. I've burnt up a associated 2008s, two spektrum-590m's and two JR 650z. I've reset the end points on the reciever three times and now the LHS finally admits I may be having reciever issues. Wouldn't admit it when it was new but at least they did make me a deal on a new transmitter and Reciever with servo's so hopefully we have the problem solved. Pretty bad when I've burnt up five steering servo's on a truck that only pulls in a straight line! , LOL
Just wondering who you are. I live in hammond, La also. Is the pic in your avatar from performance hobbys?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Initiate

No, the pic is actually from my Nascar/RC work shop/den. LOL I've been collecting Diecast for almost 20 years so I've got a pretty large collection. My name is Larkin. I primarily run out at RCPower hobbies. If you go out there for the sled pulling I pull with Holey Smokes. I also have the 8ight buggy and just started running the 8ight-T Truggy two weeks ago., I used to run an electric VXL rustler but since they wouldn't let me run the nitro guys with it over in New Orleans I got out of the electric and street racing and just stuck with the dirt. I'm trying to figure out where performance hobbies is? Is that the one off of Old Covington Highway? If so it's only about a mile from my house.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Tech Initiate

Not a uncommon problem. Like micrors4guy said, there is a alloy spacer and an aluminum bearing housing that can be bought that will help with that problem alot. Be sure and keep you diff fluids changed regularly and inspect and change the bearings. Mine did the same thing about a month after I got it. I found out then that there was only grease put in the diff. instead of diff fluid in the RTR model. Some moisture got in my diff case and actually seized the bearing to the race. I now use a little lubricate on the race (never sieze) and use only ceramic bearings in the cases. the ceramic bearings run about $10 a set for the diffs and I have yet to have another sieze up since that first one. Nothing more flustrating than to have that happen on race day. You'll hear it over and over again. The key is maintance. Know your car from the inside out. Take care of your eguip., Replace those bearings and check fluids and check to make sure all screws are tight. I can tell you from experience, a little maintance and effort on the bench will save you a LOT of headache and flustration when your out there running!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

i take care of my stuff. i take it apart and clean it after every race day with all new grease, lubes and oil. i just did a quick spur gear change yesterday after the first kyosho plastic 46t spur fried since the motor moved a bit, and i must have just crammed it in there when i was done with it last nite after the fix. still got another 15 mins out of practice tho befor it welded itself to the diff housing tho.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Tech Lord

Kyosho 46 spur ?
Old 08-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Tech Initiate

i take care of my stuff. i take it apart and clean it after every race day with all new grease, lubes and oil. i just did a quick spur gear change yesterday after the first kyosho plastic 46t spur fried since the motor moved a bit, and i must have just crammed it in there when i was done with it last nite after the fix. still got another 15 mins out of practice tho befor it welded itself to the diff housing tho.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you don't. I usually post so that anyone can get info from the post. Not sure about the 46t Kyosho spur, Didn't know they would even interchange. Also being that you have a electric conversion there are going to be issues that aren't relevant to those of us that are nitro. I can only go by my experiences and what I have learned so far. If you only got 15 minutes out of it before it siezed I would make sure to check for binding issues. As you probably already know the #1 reason for a bearing to sieze in the first place is extreme heat. Sounds to me like you had something was not quite lined up correctly from the reinstall.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Kyosho 46 spur ?
JR has been running an electric 8 for several months. The molded Kyosho spur is what most people use to match the Mod 1 pinions that fit the electric motors most commonly used. Plus if something goes awry the expensive pinion is usually saved.

sorry, I used to keep up with the electric thread thinking I'd get a fresh off-road kit for Nitro and used my current one (25+- gallons) for an electric conversion.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Just a quick question guys, I am sure this has been asked a bunch of time already. What parts are necessary to convert the RTR 8ight buggy to the pro version? Aside from the obvious the shock caps, shock towers, and chassis. Any internal pieces parts that are different? I appreciate any and all answers that are given
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by air8
JR has been running an electric 8 for several months. The molded Kyosho spur is what most people use to match the Mod 1 pinions that fit the electric motors most commonly used. Plus if something goes awry the expensive pinion is usually saved.

sorry, I used to keep up with the electric thread thinking I'd get a fresh off-road kit for Nitro and used my current one (25+- gallons) for an electric conversion.
this is the first spur that ive replaced since i converted it electric back in jan of 08. they hold up a lot better then most ppl think!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by antone
Just a quick question guys, I am sure this has been asked a bunch of time already. What parts are necessary to convert the RTR 8ight buggy to the pro version? Aside from the obvious the shock caps, shock towers, and chassis. Any internal pieces parts that are different? I appreciate any and all answers that are given
search the thread. i asked the same thing a while back. but;

hexes
hinge pins
hinge pin braces
motor mounts
full sway bars
full springs

those are the other things i can think of.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antone
Engine mounts, rear chassis brace (one extra screw hole in the kit/rr buggies), steering king pins are Nitride coated in the kit/rr, hinge pins are also Nitride coated in the kit/rr, wheel hexes and nuts have the hard ano'd surface. The diffs are grease filled and shimmed on the internal gears with the RTR. I'm not sure if the internal gears have shims with the kit/rr. The clutch shoe arrangement is different. You should step up to using 4 shoes if not already done.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Yer, that is about all, can't think of anything else much
Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

i ran my 8-buggy for the first time last week and the car was great but i was having problems with nose-diving issues,i will try to work on the setup but since im new to offraod maybe some one has had the same problem,any advice will be appreciated..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.