Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

For me the dynamite shoes have worked great with little to no maintenence! Just swapped out bearings every other weekend and I am good to go!

I also like the Losi long life shoes too!

Have not tried the King Headz yet...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm a believer in the KH 7075 or Losi long wear. The Dynamites went pretty quick for me. I think to get any use out the Dynamite, you have to step way down on the spring strength. Like all greens, or green/black. Dynamite shoes with the all silvers pretty much wasted away in one or two tanks for me. I didn't even get a chance to test figure out the tires for the day. So don't use Dynamite shoes with all silver. That's my advice.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjtamu
Not sure what you mean by a tight fit, but that clutch bell needs to spin freely. Asking how to break in an engine is like asking which engine is best, you're going to get a lot of different answers. But, I wouldn't want mine at 220 or more on the box, I'd richen it. I run 1 tank though mine at about 1 minute intervals on the box, usually temping about 175.

The aerosol can pic means to clean the part before you apply Loctite. Look in the back of the manual in the hardware section, at the bottom there's a legend for the symbols.

By that I meant that I barely fit the clutch on the crank and still had enough play for the bell to spin freely. It does spin freely and it does fit. Thanks again!

Now to just find out how to get my temps down a bit.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Front to back endplay of the CB shouldn't be more than .5mm and make sure your clutch shoes are covered by the CB. Just keep moving the shims around till you find a sweet spot.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I definitely have about .05 of play. It covers the shoes completely.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I think that I use green and gold springs on my shoes and have about a month or 2 on mine (3 gallons of fuel+) and they are still going strong! My experience is great so far!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default motor type

what motor are u all using to waste the max life shoes so fast i have like three gallons on mine and i an running gold spring combo on buggy with grp motor and all silver spings on my ninjia motor on my truggy same three galllons and i have to bur thrm like every three weeks and i race every weekend and one day of practice wich is usaully half gallon for practice. losi blue shoes lasted me like two weekends great snap but lot of mant and did not last aas long for me
Old 08-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

So after reading all these threads about what shoes last the longest I am thinking I have been tossing them in the can WAY TOO early. As a noob, I was going by an Adam Drake article in X RC mag and was using a mircrometer and when they hit 23 mm or less I thought I was in the danger zone.

I am now understanding that you can deburr them and continue to run.

At what point do you say your shoes are cashed? What are you feeling/hearing in the motor that would say, "time to unbutton the bell and take a look at my shoes"? Is it they just do not grab? any warning signs to look for once it's opened up?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desertbird
So after reading all these threads about what shoes last the longest I am thinking I have been tossing them in the can WAY TOO early. As a noob, I was going by an Adam Drake article in X RC mag and was using a mircrometer and when they hit 23 mm or less I thought I was in the danger zone.

I am now understanding that you can deburr them and continue to run.

At what point do you say your shoes are cashed? What are you feeling/hearing in the motor that would say, "time to unbutton the bell and take a look at my shoes"? Is it they just do not grab? any warning signs to look for once it's opened up?

no no no....well obide by that measurement...as once they get any past that....the springs are draggin and destroying the bell....not to mention EXCESSIVE slip and heat ushally ending in a blown out bearing.....when the shoes hit 23.9 im thinkin about replacements.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Integra
no no no....well obide by that measurement...as once they get any past that....the springs are draggin and destroying the bell....not to mention EXCESSIVE slip and heat ushally ending in a blown out bearing.....when the shoes hit 23.9 im thinkin about replacements.
Cool! thanks for the reassurance that that measurement is good. I like to know for sure when to replace things and error on the safe side whenever I can.

Just to make sure, you measure from the end of the shoe opposite the pin on both sides? In another words from tip to tip on the shoe to the right of the pin?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Tech Lord

Cool! thanks for the reassurance that that measurement is good. I like to know for sure when to replace things and error on the safe side whenever I can.

Just to make sure, you measure from the end of the shoe opposite the pin on both sides? In another words from tip to tip on the shoe to the right of the pin?

basically ya...find the fattest portion of the shoe on the trailing edge.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

So, not to drag this on, I just want to ensure I'm doing it correctly. Ignore the fact that the clutch in the pic has only 2 shoes, I think it was a pic of a RTR clutch I pulled off a web site, but will serve as a visual representation.

Do you measure at points A or closer to B? It will make a difference depending upon where you mic those bad boys.

Thanks Again!
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight building and setup-clutch.gif  
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Tech Lord

So, not to drag this on, I just want to ensure I'm doing it correctly. Ignore the fact that the clutch in the pic has only 2 shoes, I think it was a pic of a RTR clutch I pulled off a web site, but will serve as a visual representation.

Do you measure at points A or closer to B? It will make a difference depending upon where you mic those bad boys.

Thanks Again!

No problem man...its side "A" that u are measuring
Old 08-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Champion

Yes, and make sure the calipers are not touching on the next clutch shoe clockwise from the two you are measuring. I do the same measurement and I change mine at 23.3, but that's only cause Xtreme printed it up from The Drake. I figure he's run enough fuel through his buggy(s) to know what he's taking about. I do the same in truggy also.

Actually I forgot to check the shoes before my last race day. I went out for three 6 min. qualifiers and a 15 min. main. During the main I started losing bottom end snap and could also hear loud grinding. Turned out to be a set of four Max-life shoes I had decided to give a third chance too. So this would have been the 2nd weekend on them. Springs were green/gold and a new CB. So when I pulled the shoes out to see how bad things were and realized they were Max-life, I measured them. Came out to 22.6mm after two weekends. I can say the CB looked great. No aluminum deposits like the last two sets of Max's had left behind.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Tech Lord

i hate them damn dyna's....they Dont work worth a bean for some guys...we must be Ultra hard on our clutch's.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.