Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey all. I have a Drive Shaft ? and a few others.

My neighbors both just picked up new RTR Losi 8ights.

one has had two motor mount bolts come out completely. the ones holding the motor to the mount on the inner most side. not a big deal, as we ll just toss in new ones and reset the mesh. but is this common? i figured it would be pretty much all locktighted. atleast to a point.

2ndly the other one has had 3 out of the 4 drive shaft cross pins fall out? 2 completely, and one nearly all the way, yet the other ones drive shafts have been rock solid. so whats the scoop here? the one with the drive shaft issues (picked up last friday 8/10/07), has 7 tanks thru it max. all on basically flat ground/grass. the other has about 13 tanks thru it ( picked up the last Monday 8/06/07.

what other things need to be looked at.
how is Losi to deal with for warrenty? 3/4 driveshaft pins falling out in 7 tanks certainly says warrenty to me.

one last ?. to use a starter box, can you just use the upgraded short motor mounts, and keep the hex starter installed as a backup?

thanx for anyhelp/answers you can provide.

Timmahh
Old 08-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahh

one has had two motor mount bolts come out completely. the ones holding the motor to the mount on the inner most side. not a big deal, as we ll just toss in new ones and reset the mesh. but is this common? i figured it would be pretty much all locktighted. atleast to a point.

2ndly the other one has had 3 out of the 4 drive shaft cross pins fall out? 2 completely, and one nearly all the way, yet the other ones drive shafts have been rock solid. so whats the scoop here? the one with the drive shaft issues (picked up last friday 8/10/07), has 7 tanks thru it max. all on basically flat ground/grass. the other has about 13 tanks thru it ( picked up the last Monday 8/06/07.

how is Losi to deal with for warrenty? 3/4 driveshaft pins falling out in 7 tanks certainly says warrenty to me.

one last ?. to use a starter box, can you just use the upgraded short motor mounts, and keep the hex starter installed as a backup?

Timmahh
you have to buy the backplate from sportworks for the mach .26. 2nd i just had a driveshaft pin on my center front driveshaft fall out today. im gonna call up losi and see if they have updated them recently

hope this helps
-drew
Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Timmahh
no such thing as a warranty on vehicles that undergo as much stress as these ones do.

And are you talking about the center drive shafts? because I can see those pins working their way loose. but it is impossible to loose a drive pin on the 4 dog bones/universals, because the inner hub bearings hold them in place. The outer pin is held in with a set screw, and when the tire is on it can not fall out. Now if your tire falls off and you revvvvv the car up, then you might lose one of these pins.

If something is deffective or faulty, team losi is more than happy to replace it if it's not part of your normal wear and tear.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, those pins that are working out need to have lock tite and then put heat shrink over the joint. All CVD's need this done. It is not exclusive to Losi. Any vehicle could lose the cross pin at anytime. Even after 3 min. of runtime. So take the front and rear center drive shafts out and build them with lock tite on the set screws and wrap with heat shrink. You should be solid after that.

Also with all 8th scale buggy and truggy check the clutch bearings often. These bearings take a lot of heat and abuse. this also lets you inspect your clutch shoes and springs as well as your clutch bell. Good idea to check these about every 45 minutes to an hour of runtime. It will save head ache down the road.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ya, losi is great with warranties and such but that is usually on electroncs only. i burned 3 servos in my 8b, sent all three in and a week later got all 3 back brand new.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the Pin in the dogbone end. Had a customer buy an RTR 2 weeks ago and he noticed one of the pins was loose before he was done with the break in.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Timmahh
One thing with the RTR is that to be on the safe side is to locktite all the screws that should be TITE, Cant always trust that its still TITE by the time you get it from Factory its like loose. Mine was loose and I had no idea until my engine started making all kinds of funny noises and pulled it ovr and the whole clutch was torn up and all, it was an ugly scene. So now I LOCKTITE my motor screws then use the GMK Lock washers that work sweet!

Originally Posted by jrr102486
ya, losi is great with warranties and such but that is usually on electroncs only. i burned 3 servos in my 8b, sent all three in and a week later got all 3 back brand new.
Were the servos the RTR Spektrum servos? Because Ive burned 2 servos, 1 RTR one and a AIR360.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Tech Addict

Hello all, It's been awhile since I've posted to this thread. Anyway I got an issue invovling the clutch. For the last 2 weeks my 8 has been suffering with clutch slippage, at least that's what I see is happening, it starts to happen about mid-run, 4 or 5 mins, and the engine starts to wind out and I loose momentum. It doesn't do it when it's cold and I run a few laps, but when it gets hot and almost near the end of a 8 mins session. I changes out the shoes and springs twice. No luck. What else? The flywheel is tight.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Suspended

exactly Jack. 3 of the 4 diff side pins are falling out, they are pressed in pins. and he wasnt done with break in. the other ends area great. no issues, except one Very tight pin retaining bolt.

Jimbal. check your clutch bell, it may be glazed over cuzing excessive slip of the clutch shoes.

and fwiw, my HPI Baja 5B has seen Plenty of warrenty replacement parts. even got warrenty parts on items i expected to NOT get warrenty on. one set of clutch shoes is all that has been denied under warrenty from HPI on my Baja 5B and i totallly expected them not to be warrenteed, so no loss.

T
Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Addict

I checked the clutch bell for glazing and rough it up with a scotch brite pad and it still slipped.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello again,
After some time the 8ight is my best friend
Planning to go for a race abroad in Europe.
The track there has completely no jumps and reminds an on-road track
What setup changes would you recommend ? (I curently run Drake's NEO setup with 5k in the center as we usually race on a really bumpy track)
Some pics can be found here: http://www.bokor-ring.hu/eng/palya.php
Thank you
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimbal
Hello all, It's been awhile since I've posted to this thread. Anyway I got an issue invovling the clutch. For the last 2 weeks my 8 has been suffering with clutch slippage, at least that's what I see is happening, it starts to happen about mid-run, 4 or 5 mins, and the engine starts to wind out and I loose momentum. It doesn't do it when it's cold and I run a few laps, but when it gets hot and almost near the end of a 8 mins session. I changes out the shoes and springs twice. No luck. What else? The flywheel is tight.
What exact clutch shoe setups have you tried? In my experience, an all carbon setup doesn't grab well, just as an example.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taurius
Hello again,
After some time the 8ight is my best friend
Planning to go for a race abroad in Europe.
The track there has completely no jumps and reminds an on-road track
What setup changes would you recommend ? (I curently run Drake's NEO setup with 5k in the center as we usually race on a really bumpy track)
Some pics can be found here: http://www.bokor-ring.hu/eng/palya.php
Thank you
Sorry if this offends you, but what would it be like to run a 1/8 on-road car on a track like that? There is hardly any bumps. I can see an on-road with rally tires really ripping around on that track. With a 1/8th buggy it seems like heavy springs and oil, with low ride height would be fast there. IDK. Just wondering.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Suspended

speed and techical ability to drive the funky tracks.

euro tracks look like they tend to be multi surfaced. few jumps/tabletops, but tight corners, unique track desings, like hard s turns. fast straights to funnel type corners ect, as well as multi surfaces. like sandy/clay/grass/ashphalt/hard pack all in one track. so it can be very tricky to get a good setup.

talking with a buddy last night about such type tracks and how/what would be a tolerable setup to be able to competently run on such a varried type track.
could be interesting to say the least.

but with that said. i LOVE to air it out.
Timmahh
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nay0k
What exact clutch shoe setups have you tried? In my experience, an all carbon setup doesn't grab well, just as an example.
Just the normal 2 -Alum(silver springs) and 2 carbon (gold springs).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.