Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight building and setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KForce
can anyone confirm that the proteck 2000mah lipo from amain will fit in the 8b box? only one it really states is no ttr.

heres the link. thanks kyle

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13508
That's the batt. that I use. U have to use the hump cover. The flat battery cover doesn't fit. You can race all weekend and not use all of the battery up. It's awesome. i just wish it had a balance lead. I'm happy I made the switch to lipo, cause using the regulator to give the servos a little more juice made a difference in the way my 8 performs.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
That's the batt. that I use. U have to use the hump cover. The flat battery cover doesn't fit. You can race all weekend and not use all of the battery up. It's awesome. i just wish it had a balance lead. I'm happy I made the switch to lipo, cause using the regulator to give the servos a little more juice made a difference in the way my 8 performs.
any mods needed?
Old 07-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vones
any mods needed?
Nope. No mods. Just a pain to get the regulator and all the wires to fit in the RX box. And use the hump pack battery cover. I haven't pulled the battery out of the box for a few weeks. I run the plug outside the battery box and just disconnect to charge it up. If your track is very wet I would keep the plug inside the box though. But you guys already know that.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nope. No mods. Just a pain to get the regulator and all the wires to fit in the RX box. And use the hump pack battery cover. I haven't pulled the battery out of the box for a few weeks. I run the plug outside the battery box and just disconnect to charge it up. If your track is very wet I would keep the plug inside the box though. But you guys already know that.
LOL...ok thks..will try that.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

does anybody have a problem with their car turning better right then left. i noticed that my steering servo linkage from the servo arm hits the ackermen link when i turn the wheels to the left. maybe i have something hooked up wrong, i don't know!! any suggestions
Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey graphics, do you have a bit of play in all your steering linages. When I try to set my camber and toe I can get reading of +or- two degrees. Let's say I set my camber to -1. Well, with the extra play it can be -2.5 with the car on the ground or 0 when lifting the car slightly. Even when I don't mess with moving the car around, I can move the wheel about two degrees. Just wondering if you notice anything like that.
Yeah, I have a bit, but not that much. I wiggled my front end around a bit today in between races. So it's funny you mention that, because I was just commenting on that same thing to a couple fellow racers at the track. But there is a couple guys that might have just as much play as you do.

I suggest replacing the plastic parts for the bell crank and rod ends every so often. I'm also going to replace my steering knuckles and hubs. It should tighten up, but it's common to see play like that.

Also about your rims, I'd stick with losi for a couple reasons. first they are what the pros use when they are setting up their cars, so what they put down on their set up sheets includes losi rims. The back spacing is different on almost every rim I've used. Treadz are by far the worst, their diamiter is too small and rub on some different models of 1/8th scales.

Second, compare the diameter of a losi rim to a proline one, the losi's are actually larger in diameter. thus they are bigger and tires hug to them tighter. Bigger wheels cover more distance in one revolution than smaller tires do, that means your slightly faster!
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by vr6
does anybody have a problem with their car turning better right then left. i noticed that my steering servo linkage from the servo arm hits the ackermen link when i turn the wheels to the left. maybe i have something hooked up wrong, i don't know!! any suggestions
Dude! I have been fighting something like this for a long time now. I hope someone has suggestions. Freefallmarine gave me some tips I'm gonna try my next time out. But that is a few weeks away yet. Dam work. lol. Good question though.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vr6
Take your servo horn off your servo, and center your steering servo on your radio, if you have an advanced radio check to see in the left and right throw settings ar equal, such as 80% left and 80% right. then straighten your wheel out and screw your servo horn back on! It should be fine after you check that out.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
The back spacing is different on almost every rim I've used. Treadz are by far the worst, their diamiter is too small and rub on some different models of 1/8th scales.

Second, compare the diameter of a losi rim to a proline one, the losi's are actually larger in diameter. thus they are bigger and tires hug to them tighter. Bigger wheels cover more distance in one revolution than smaller tires do, that means your slightly faster!
Yeah, compare the Losi rims to Xray rims. HUGE difference. I'm going to switch to Losi rims. I do notice better handling. I hate being a newbie. lol
Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, compare the Losi rims to Xray rims. HUGE difference. I'm going to switch to Losi rims. I do notice better handling. I hate being a newbie. lol
You have to start somewhere. The best thing about being in this hobby for the past 17 years is that you see new racers advance, and sometimes surpass your own abilities. I'm only 27, so this has been part of my life for a long time.

The only hard part was convincing my Wife that I've been doing it longer than I've known her. I can't let her know That I have another love besides her.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Tech Elite

One last thing, is anyone attending the 2nd RC PRO series North division race in Evansdale Iowa this upcomming weekend? A couple guys I race with and I are going to be there. I was just wondering who was considering it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Tech Champion

Tried to get off work for it. No go though. I think I have 5-6 friends headed that way this weekend. I'll be in touch with them though. Take some pics for me and LMK how much fun you have.

Just turned 28 myself. Been RC'ing two years and racing 1/2 season. I just found our local track last november, about the time I bought my 8. Lots to learn in a short time. Having a Blast though. That's what counts. A lot of great people.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by losi8ight
Can anybody help me with my question above, if so that would be excellent. Thank you very much.
losi8ight---Sorry bud, I don't know anyone around here using this set up. I haven't heard anything about it.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Tried to get off work for it. No go though. I think I have 5-6 friends headed that way this weekend. I'll be in touch with them though. Take some pics for me and LMK how much fun you have.

Just turned 28 myself. Been RC'ing two years and racing 1/2 season. I just found our local track last november, about the time I bought my 8. Lots to learn in a short time. Having a Blast though. That's what counts. A lot of great people.
I've raced in Hutch a couple times, the last time was about 2 years ago!

But you have to get the weekend off for the 3rd round of the North Pro series race at our home track in Omaha Nebraska. it's at the end of September!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
I've raced in Hutch a couple times, the last time was about 2 years ago!

But you have to get the weekend off for the 3rd round of the North Pro series race at our home track in Omaha Nebraska. it's at the end of September!
Really? Gas or electric? I grew up close to Hutch and never knew about the track. Make me mad. But I'm here now and race the 8 every chance I get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.