Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Marcus,

That is some weird shizzle. LMK if you find something. I was going to order another kit, just cause I've had this one so long.

What tires have you been runnig?

Got your # saved and will give a buzz sometime.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by satoch
Electrics are fine, I just don't care for them. I NEED the sound and smell of nitro. That's it.
ya same here. its just got that feel . i was just searching for parts for my e-revo and found that. thought id post.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trebor
Can you really do that? If so I might try it because I am having that problem and lining up the ballcup will be at a better alignment.

Has anyone did this?
Yes, this can certainly be done. You will need to turn the ball stud on your carb too but that's no problem either.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thefnshow
anybody know the size of the 8ight's shock o rings ? i have a kit for the first batch and the shocks are leaking all over the place...i've replaced the plastic spacer and end piece, but i can't find any o rings...they're on backorder, so i was going to try mcmaster-carr and see if they have them...any help would be appreciated

Here you go on the o-rings and they ship fast. TKO Competition Development

Manny
Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,
1 - after one race day and another practise day the center diff bearing got destroyed, resulting in a snapped clutch bell teath (the whole clutch assembly is stock). Are the bearings bad or i am putting something together wrong ? After a whole racing season with my old XB8 TQ i changed those bearings once just to be sure... (No other bearings fit and our LHS doesn't carry Losi...)
2 - the thing that capture the rear inner lower pins got bent at the ends. The pins are still in place, but it doesn't look good that way. Is it normal or should i do something about it ?
3 - Shocks leak after 1 race day - replaced with TKO, clutch worn out after a practise day - replaced with king headz, air filter smaller than others (can't fit my RB ones properly), lost one wheel nut - couldn't fit from any other buggy... Is this buggy such a peace of crap or i'm just very lucky ? It drives very good, but the maintenence is just killing me. It has more slop than my xray has after 1 year of use....
Old 06-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sheesh man, you sound cursed! I'm still running my stock clutch, after 1/1/2 gallons and have had no problems other than my rear tie rods being too long. I also had an Xray xb8 before this car, and I'll admit that after my first weekend out, I wish I had it back, but after I sorted all the bugs out. Nothing beats this car. Sure you've had your fair share or crap.

I was told to clean out all the oil and run the clutch bearings dry, so they don't attract dirt! I've done that and haven't had any problems the whole life of the clutch so far.

I have yet to bend a hinge pin, but I'm still trying to make it happen, I guess I'm just lucky!
Old 06-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

The soft clutch shoes and leaky orings have been addressed by losi already and the updated versions are available. After switching to ultimate rc orings and Kings head 7075 clutch shoes I do not have any problems with these. I also have never had a problems with the throttle servo going out prematurely. The problem with the clutch bearing is a new one on me. You must of had a bad bearing from the start. I have probably 3 gallons on my clutch bearings and no problems. A new set is pretty cheap too. Losipartshouse.com should have the parts you need. The only other thing I have had problems with is the front cv pins came out a few times but using CVD condoms and red locktite fixed that.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taurius
Hello,
1 - after one race day and another practise day the center diff bearing got destroyed, resulting in a snapped clutch bell teath (the whole clutch assembly is stock). Are the bearings bad or i am putting something together wrong ? After a whole racing season with my old XB8 TQ i changed those bearings once just to be sure... (No other bearings fit and our LHS doesn't carry Losi...)
2 - the thing that capture the rear inner lower pins got bent at the ends. The pins are still in place, but it doesn't look good that way. Is it normal or should i do something about it ?
3 - Shocks leak after 1 race day - replaced with TKO, clutch worn out after a practise day - replaced with king headz, air filter smaller than others (can't fit my RB ones properly), lost one wheel nut - couldn't fit from any other buggy... Is this buggy such a peace of crap or i'm just very lucky ? It drives very good, but the maintenence is just killing me. It has more slop than my xray has after 1 year of use....

1. I blew an Acer ceramic bearing in about 3 hours of use because the gear mesh was a bit too tight. I wouldn't be too surprised if that would wear on the center diff bearing as well, especially since it sounds like you got a good crash on as...

2. the plastic hinge pin cover takes some pretty good hits to get REALLY bent out of shape.

Did you case a jump really really bad? I've seen the results of a poorly landed 45 ft bmx jump on the 8ight, and it wasn't pretty.

My stock clutch lasted quite a while, once I toned down from silver and gold springs.

Get extra wheel nuts. They LOVE to come off. I haven't lost any (always found them afterwards) but I've had them come off about 4 times now.

As for the air filter... well, there is no common size shared by mfgs, so, that's not really something we can complain about as a design flaw.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

make sure the center bearing insert is installed correctly.... it has to go on before you put the center diff togther,, if not you will blow the bearing out or break the clutch bell... the stock clutch set up is soft and will wear out fast... the shock problem make sure the bottom cap is tight i had to chew mine up with plires to get it tight..... dont know about the hinge pin cover..... tighten the wheel nuts..... i lost one also cause I didnt tighten it what is wrong with the stock filters???
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 220 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taurius
Hello,
MUGEN AND XRAY WHEEL NUTS BOTH FIT
Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry about the wheel nuts, i had a new one which was very tight and needs a lot of force to put on. Put an old one without any worries. Thanks. (i tight them very much, but lost that one in the pits working on the car...)

The gear mesh was good and a bit more to the loose side. Also the insert was put correctly, this time i'll try without it and using a bigger bearing.

The hinge pin cover just bent where it touches the chassis and it doesn't allow any more move, so i guess it works. I sure had some bad landings, but not that i could call them more than usual. I had to get a full spead head on crash to get my front arm bushings damaged on the xray (the other guy accidently jumped to the straight). Are your covers perfectly aligned ?

The stock filter is good, i just don't like the fact that you have to use everything from Losi, especally when the LHS doesn't carry it...The RB filters are superb, but losi made the smaller plastics and the outer filter sticks out...You have to use the Losi clutch bell, which just lost one teeth and i didn't have any problems with others. Also those bearings..

The good side of this is that it really handles better.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

what are you guys running for throttle return springs? something off the shelf at my LHS i hope. i was planning to run it from the top of the center diff to the throttle brake servo arm. thanks again
Old 06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robsxxxs
what are you guys running for throttle return springs? something off the shelf at my LHS i hope. i was planning to run it from the top of the center diff to the throttle brake servo arm. thanks again
Rubber band, doubled up. Run it around the carb and over the ball linkage.

Some people have had really good success with those black hair thingies too.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ditto, small rubber band's
Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrr102486
i know im prolly gonna get slammed for this one but has anyone thought of an electric 8ight?

check this out from rc-monster.com:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...rod=rcmlosi8mt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.