Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Losi 8ight building and setup >

Losi 8ight building and setup

Losi 8ight building and setup

Old 03-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well when I went to put my body on, I noticed it wouldnt fit.... My chassis is quite bent I knew I should not have hit the 40 ft bmx track jump. It would have been worth it if I had pics though Oh well. Other than that its quite fine! Oh and no more throttle issues as of yet! WOOT!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default trebor

i see you trebor lookin up stuff for the 8
Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just picked up a V-spec for my 8ight and was wondering if anyone knew the performance difference between the O.S. 2050 and 2060 pipes?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GTB_USER_Erik
Define "gets a sloppy after a little use"?
About a gallon through the car and the front end is loose. It is like the plastics are worn out or "slop out" quickly.

Last edited by *Topher*; 03-18-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Chassis...

Has anyone noticed that their new chassis isn't strait? If you place it on a flat surface there is about a 2mm arch in the chassis. Is this the way they were designed, or are there some quality control issues. It's a brand new never run chassis.

Also, should I try to straiten it? The holes for the radio box don't line up very well and it is dew to the bend. That is also why I was having problems with the battery box cushioning mod.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by *Topher*
About a gallon through the car and the front end is loose. It is like the plastics are wear out or "slop out" quickly.

Check your screws on the ackerman (vibrate loose) and also check the screws on the bump steer...mine vibrated loose a little bit and once I snugged em down, my front end is rock solid (about 1.5 gallons through it so far...most all of it on the track)
Old 03-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has anyone noticed that their new chassis isn't strait? If you place it on a flat surface there is about a 2mm arch in the chassis. Is this the way they were designed, or are there some quality control issues. It's a brand new never run chassis.
That sounds like it's been bent in shipping. Check it on another flat surface, just to be sure...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by R40Victim
That sounds like it's been bent in shipping. Check it on another flat surface, just to be sure...
I checked it on a glass set up board and with a level.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The box would have to be thrashed to bend a chassis in shipping...

Greg, that extra chassis i got has a bend in it too... not sure what the deal is...?

I'm going to buy another car in the next few days and i'll let you know what the chassis is looking like in that kit...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just a thought....mabye the chassis for the 8 is not supposed to be completely flat? My internet desk engineer thought: A buggy tends to slap the ground off jumps, especially if it flat lands it. Maybe a slight bend helps the buggy to "belly slide" better.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

Just a thoght????
Is the bend, chassis down or tray up???
If it is tray up. then it might be "Pre Stressed"
Has any one else noticed this, in building there kits. I wouldnt know since I have the RTR version.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GTB_USER_Erik
Just a thoght????
Is the bend, chassis down or tray up???
If it is tray up. then it might be "Pre Stressed"
Has any one else noticed this, in building there kits. I wouldnt know since I have the RTR version.
When placed on the setup board the back edge and the front just before the kickup bend touch the board. the center is raised. So in other words the center is the highest point. From the way it looks it seems like a side affect of the side bends or the metal reliving it self from the milling done on the top.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
I just picked up a V-spec for my 8ight and was wondering if anyone knew the performance difference between the O.S. 2050 and 2060 pipes?
Matt,
The 2050 (discontinued so don't sell it) has more bottom. The 2060 is a smooth pipe that was designed to settle peaky motors such as the V-Spec.
Both are great pipes! The 2050 will get you a little better fuel times.
Hint = The 2060 (long curved) comes with a completey different header than the 2050 (short squared). Get both headers! It is a great tuning option.
Hope this helps,
TEX
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by G Mills
When placed on the setup board the back edge and the front just before the kickup bend touch the board. the center is raised. So in other words the center is the highest point. From the way it looks it seems like a side affect of the side bends or the metal reliving it self from the milling done on the top.

Could be because of the rather short chassis braces that they intentionaly put a bend in the chassis. Bridges, overpasses, aluminum tractor trailers all have bows to them to counter flex.

On a side note, how's this car compared to the Xray and Mugen line of cars? Build quality, maintenance, durability, etc. You can't dispute Xrays quality, but parts are tought to come by, whereas the Losi's parts should be in every hobby shop.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Could be because of the rather short chassis braces that they intentionaly put a bend in the chassis. Bridges, overpasses, aluminum tractor trailers all have bows to them to counter flex.

On a side note, how's this car compared to the Xray and Mugen line of cars? Build quality, maintenance, durability, etc. You can't dispute Xrays quality, but parts are tought to come by, whereas the Losi's parts should be in every hobby shop.

As he said, it's more likely that the milling process relieved tension in the metal due to a imperfection. It happens all the time. My parents run a machine shop; I've seen some pretty tweaked parts come out of a mill. I'd contact Horizon Hobby, I bet they'd replace it.

As for durability... I'm a poor driver and my car has held up great so far. I bought spare parts, but other than two screws that backed out saturday (always make sure to threadlock) it's been unbreakable.

A friend bent and twisted his chassis, but to be fair, it was a 40 foot bmx jump. he DID deserve it.

The kit builds nicely, everything fits well. It is a little trickier to set up the servos so that you don't blow one out, which is an annoyance, but considering how it drives, tracks, and jumps, it's not the end of the world. It's a bit more of a finesse machine though, and if your driving style is more slam and jam, the 8ight might feel way too twitchy for you.

Last edited by Kcdzim; 03-19-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.