Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ESPN The Mag, Page 96 >

ESPN The Mag, Page 96

ESPN The Mag, Page 96

Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wagonman72
There is no such thing as bad publicity. Anything that gets the RC hobby in the public eye is good for everybody.
Isn't that the truth.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
Jack..They should know better..what do they say in Nascar...If the nose is sealed on the ground..she is driving good...LOL That actually looks like the add for X ray "Flex" design chassie....
Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm keeping my eyes on "jayski" to see when Paul goes to nascar!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I wouldn't down play the significance of the article. It's a major, mainstream sports magazine, with a quote from one of the most recognized / popular drivers, who represents the most popular form of motor sports in the US, saying its cool to race RC cars and you can earn 70K per year doing it, without getting hurt, (all he needed to add is that it costs alot less then any other form of racing) and it could land you in a real Nascar ride.

If you are in a sport trying to get noticed in the mainstream, PR doesn't get much better than that. Someone in the sport / industry should take the initiative to approach ESPN magazine to do a more complete story about this form of car racing, not from the hobby point of view, but from the sponsored team racer, this is a low cost, safe alternative form of auto racing that you can make a living at doing it point of view - there is clearly a demographic for it.

If I am in the RC car business, I am very happy with the opportunity presented before me. Someone like a Todd Hodge would be a good point person for an article such as this, he has been around and knows the industry as a sponsored driver and company representative. He should speak to Gil Losi Jr. to see if they can get a hold of ESPN the Mag. and present the idea for the article as a new X-Gamer demographic type of sport. If I am Losi, this fits my philosophy of trying a different approach to market my product, IMHO it is clearly worth a shot.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

At the 05 US Indoor Champs I met Tony Stewart, super nice guy and an excellent well know person to have on the hobby's side.

Later that same evening at the US Champs, Paul Lemieux laid the smack in Mod 10th TC. And almost lapped the entire field. Also, Paul is a super nice guy, very approachable and willing to answer any questions.

Props to both
Old 09-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Never did I say it was a waste, just point out that if I could fly somewhere and spend 2 days drinking and doing an human interest story to pop out 75 words, I'd love it.

There is RC in "mainstream" all the time and with better exposure than that.

There have been articles and product placement from Maxim to FHm. Car and Driver, Road and Track and other 1:1 mags have done reviews of RC Cars. I saw a Schumacher car used in Top Gear to go head to head against million dollar exotics.

So while it's "cool" to see that in there, I was disappointed in what made it in, but the list of "main stream" stuff is a lot bigger than that. Traxxas campaigns a freaking real monster truck.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think you must not give ESPN the props it deserves. Its as "Mainstream" as sports information gets.

For what its worth, this is the only mainstream RC blurb that has resulted in people I work with coming up to me and talking about it... some even bringing the mag along. And the pic that you guys keep bashing as a jacked body was received by the non-rc audience as a car cornering like a bitch. What was a corny hobby I participated in quickly became a pretty cool to them.

But I gotta wonder how many people will see that article, become intrigued, google their way to this website, and then be soured by all your fickle attitudes.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

So you consider your hobby to be "corny." I'm not sure why you refer to "mainstream" as "them?" Always confuses me. And that body jacked is just like me reading a sports magazine (I must be one of them to actually do "mainstream" stuff) and if I see somebody "faking" a jumpshot, "propping" up something or anything "faked" I can see right threw it.

I don't know what's more mainstream than some of the car rags, or Maxim or FHM. I'm fairy certain the circulation of car mags, Maxim and other magazines where larger RC blurbs have appeared has a much larger circulation.

It was cool to see Pauly in there, I just think that from a standpoint of thinking the article was going to be much larger and talking to the guy writing it that it was pretty weak.

There's nothing "non mainstream" about RC, just some of the mentality that it's corny is what has to end. YOu can't sell "this is my corny hobby" to marketing
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

It was a good article in a well read magazine AND Tony endorsed it as well. I remember years ago Tony stopping by and watching the races at Racers Haven in Bakersfield. He was a great guy then and a great guy now. Thank you ESPN and Tony Stewart for helping to legitimize our hobby.