Community
Wiki Posts
Search

engine temperature any one??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default engine temperature any one??

hi i have just recently bought a .21 engine for my buggy (gs bo3) and using my temp guage it read a maximum temperature of 140 degrees centergrade or celcius give or take, is that a good running temperature?
also what is the average temperature range for a nitro .21 engine and/or whats the max temperature it could reach with it still being with in a safe temperature level without it being over heated.

and finally what temperature is over heated?
sorry for the newb questions but i need to know so i can make sure it dont overheat.
thankyou.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you can get that guage to display in Fahrenheit, then I can help you. Anyone else in here speak metric? In fahrenheit, 220 to 240 is average operating tempurature, but some motors run just fine hot, in the 260-270 range. I keep reading magizine articles saying to tune by performance, not tempurature. If that's the way you do it, you risk cooking the motor...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not really. An engine running lean will not have good performance. A properly tuned engine will be in between 210 to 290 F (99 to143 C) and optimally it will be around 250 F +/- 20 (120 +/- 6 C). It all depends on the engine, air temperature, track conditions, driving style, fuel, glow plug, etc. so you can see there are many variables to consider. Therefore if it preforms well, exhibits a smoke trail on acceleration and doesn't load up or bog down then you're in the right range.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Tech Addict

AreCee

I came in here to answer his question but you said exactly what I was going to say.

Listen to AreCee as he is spot on!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

yup.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Talking

ok thankyou very much for your replies it helps alot i just ran my races this weekend and it got to 143 degrees celcius or around the 270 farenheight so it seems to be running well i just cant go any richer now the tune is right, it was funny because my first race i ran real rich to cool it down and it ran out of fuel from being too rich so i guess this engine just needs to run a little hot for the best performance. thanks once again..
Old 09-17-2006, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

My philosophy which some people consider crazy is as long as its under 300* F and is still smoking its fine.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:15 PM

As long as the engine runs strong
Old 09-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

If you are having problems with run time, you might try restricting the carb and changing your exhaust. Sounds like the motor is not flowing right.

What combination are you running? What conditions?
TEX
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

turn all the needles in all the way and go full throttle, you should be fine! whats wrong with 500 degrees!?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Tech Addict

i am using an sh max torque 2 pc pipe and the conditions were about 22 degrees celcius wheather was sunny as it is spring here its getting hotter so its not too hot but warm on a quite small sort of a track with medium bumps nice traction bit dusty smoothish but bumpy track with a nice straight to only just get to max speed then a right hand turn so there you go should cover it.

thats what the engines up against i managed to lean it out with good response reaching 134 deg celcius still with fuel left in tank after 5 min heat.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

oh and bschorr i tried that and the engine blew up can you pay for a new one? j/k
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

As long as the engine ran well with good smoke, I didn't worry about the temperature. Yes, I still checked my engines to make sure they were up to temp and etc before tuning, but other than that and the occasional temp, no.

I had the older GS B01 engine at one point. It ran really well at about 320-335, so thats where I ran it. The engine lasted plenty long that way.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Tech Addict

cool killer that makes me a bit relieved hearing that due to you having the gs bo1 how did it idle? was it a loud idle or quite and soft? mine sounds like it wants to get up and go a little whilst idling but the car doesnt move then it retires into a slower softer sounding idle which will then stop after a little while of sitting there i dont mind it doing this so long as it has that time frame before the stalling, very painful when a car stalls on the start line 5 seconds before the start hehe......'ouch'.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by downunder23
cool killer that makes me a bit relieved hearing that due to you having the gs bo1 how did it idle? was it a loud idle or quite and soft? mine sounds like it wants to get up and go a little whilst idling but the car doesnt move then it retires into a slower softer sounding idle which will then stop after a little while of sitting there i dont mind it doing this so long as it has that time frame before the stalling, very painful when a car stalls on the start line 5 seconds before the start hehe......'ouch'.

All that is that you are experiencing is the engine loading up at idle. With any engine with a properly tuned low-end, the engine will load up on fuel and die after you let it idle for a little bit.

A good way to test the low-end is to first tune the top end needle to 1/4 turn richer than max power, then clear the engine out and bring it to an idle. Immediately pinch the fuel line at the carb and it the idle should get faster and die in about 4-5 seconds. Any longer and its a tad rich. Any shorter or if the idle doesnt increase in speed, its too lean...

hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.