Search

ESC and Motor Amps

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 226 (100%+)
Default ESC and Motor Amps

Hi Guys,

I have a questiosn regarding ESC/Motor amps.
Is it possible to use an ESC that handles 25 amps max, and run a motor that draws more than 30 amps? Would the motor just not run at full performance?

How many amps do modified motors draw, and how do I read esc specs?

Momentary load (1 second): 50A
Brief load (30 seconds): 30A
Continuous load (5 minutes): 20

Rated current 180A

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank You
Old 09-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default amps

the info you listed on your esc is a very good mid level esc. yes the motor can handle up to 30 amps but even with best esc you wont get to 30 amps with it. if you were to run your motor at 30 amps constantly you would need to cut it and rebrush it every single run, plus it would also burn up more often causing much undo cost. actually the can spike to 40 amps at the motor but they wont run more than 2-3 minutes there before it melts down. the windings on your armatures will begin to heat and melt, burn, thus blowing up your electric motors and would probably need a fire bottle on hand to put out the flames. if you the absolute max out of your motor i would look to the very top level esc and the best aftermarket motors at your local track and run those, you will see a big difference.

good luck