Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire prep for rubber tires on carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:54 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tire prep for rubber tires on carpet

Need some help. What do you guys do to you tires for carpet racing? Tires used rp 30.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is how I setup my tires, I run RP30 on low to high traction carpet and the tuning for me always stays the same. After each run I clean the tires with WD40, it helps soften the rubber, make sure to wipe any excess WD40 off the tire after you clean them though. Then I just use Jack the Gripper for 5-7 minutes before I run. I wipe it off a couple minutes before my race and let the tires dry a little.

If you let the compound sit longer with this method I've found the tires will have better traction initially but they lose their traction earlier and overheat easier. I really like just letting it sit for 5-7 minutes with this method because the traction seems very consistant from start to finish. I've used this method for stock, 19t, and mod. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mini-dub
This is how I setup my tires, I run RP30 on low to high traction carpet and the tuning for me always stays the same. After each run I clean the tires with WD40, it helps soften the rubber, make sure to wipe any excess WD40 off the tire after you clean them though. Then I just use Jack the Gripper for 5-7 minutes before I run. I wipe it off a couple minutes before my race and let the tires dry a little.

If you let the compound sit longer with this method I've found the tires will have better traction initially but they lose their traction earlier and overheat easier. I really like just letting it sit for 5-7 minutes with this method because the traction seems very consistant from start to finish. I've used this method for stock, 19t, and mod. Hope this helps.
Weylin, what's up. Don't let me down at vegas. I've been trash talking with Clint since the bet. I think the dress he bought was his seize, so you know he already figured he's going to lose. See Ya in vegas.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mini-dub

Have you tried using;

1) Brake cleaner etc for cleaning the tyres
2) LRP Carpet Additive

And if you've tried either of these what were the results?

Skiddins
Old 09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what about using tire warmers in addition to the tire additive? is it recommended, or just the sauce?

vic
Old 09-29-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've tried a few different ways... soaking for 20-25 min prior to the race. Pretty much the same as what Weylin mentioned above... lost traction late in the race. So I tried the method given and it was considerably better! One other thing to try is something I kinda came upon by accident. I was trying to get a few laps in at our club race because my car sucked.... so I didn't have time to do the whole process so I just cleaned the tires with simple green (WD40 works the same just a little messier). I was surprised that they worked great! So I just cleaned them again and ran the main... best traction I've had in weeks. Oddly enough someone else that night was experimenting and tried no sauce for the mains and he found it better also. So if you want something to experiment with try just cleaning them and run em.

Our track right now has very low traction right now and we use CS27's.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

If you soaked for 20-25 minutes I think that is why you lost traction late in the race. I've found that when you soak for longer the tires have better grip in the beginning but fall off at the end. If you soak for less, like 6-8 minutes or so like I recommended you should have more consistant traction during the whole race.

I used to use simple green to clean my tires, but WD40 does a better job of really cleaning them. If you clean them with simple green and then clean them with WD40 you will probably be suprised how much black "crap" you wipe off the tire. Just some more things to consider.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That 'black crap' is rubber you are wiping off.....

Clean them, apply additive, leave, wipe excess, race. If you got oversteer, apply the additive to the front tyres like you would tune foams, reduce the coverage to reduce front grip.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

I'm pretty sure it's not rubber you're wiping off, because your tires dont wear down if you clean them a bunch. It's just the build up of traction and foam and stuff that the tires get built up with from running on the track.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

In mid-high traction tracks, I like to glue the outside edge of the front tires. It seems to mellow out the twitchiness and prevents the 'bite and grab' hooking that happens mid corner when the tire rolls over the edge.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

dose anyone use lighter fluid (robonsol) to clean their tires before sausing them with jack?
Old 09-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Considering Weylin just TQd and won 19-turn rubber at the IIC, I'd say whatever he does for his rubber tires works and is worth following.

-Rich
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridge_Racer
dose anyone use lighter fluid (robonsol) to clean their tires before sausing them with jack?
I know couple of people who use lighter fluid on their rubber, though admittedly we all use them on asphalt.
I use brake cleaner.

I might try some WD40 and see if there is any difference.

Skiddins
Old 09-30-2006, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Has anyone tried scuffing rubber tires on a tire truer to prolong life for carpet racing? I ran a T2 last year with rubber tires on carpet and found that after 2 or 3 race days they went away. Would scuffing them on a tire truer help get a couple more days out of them?
Old 09-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would think that brake cleaner would actually dry our the rubber, look at what it does to your hand, WD40 won't dry them out like brak-clean will. Same as woth simple green, but wd40 does better because it makes the surface slicker and allows the gunk to come off easier.

BUT, like posted above, what ever Weylin's doing has got to be working. It aint every weekend you win at Vegas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.