Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks. >

Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
I have studied the links. That sphere comp motor looks like it takes a special Sphere comp (TC spec) speed control. I don't see that control listed on the Team Associated web site. Is this a new updated controller as my old one fried on a Novak 3.5R.
The new ESCs are available overseas, and should find their way to the states soon. I believe they've got two new models coming out, both for competition, and one that's supposedly specific for touring cars. I don't follow LRP nearly as closely as Novak, but I drop into the LRP thread now and the that's the gist of it, I believe. There's information on the LRP site about the new ESCs: http://www.lrp-electronic.de/e/lis/.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah like syndrome said they are only available oversee's.

I have to disagree with yyhayyim that the Novak's weigh 190g, accourding to Novak they only weigh 161g.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I put my Novak 4.5 R on the scale it weighed 187 grams with its little wire harness that can't be removed. No lead wires.

I notice that some of these 3.5 motors only have a 1/8 inch shaft. We are having some troubles once we get to the RPM's of a 3.5 with the front motor bearing. Just a note. It makes sense though that the bigger bearing should be tougher. I am not sure though.

I'll buy one of these motors to go with the Tekin when they become easily available.
John
Old 04-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Here is the finished Prototype #2. We had some rain today. If it is dry tomorrow I'll put the 3.5 R on it and test it. I might race the old car Sunday as it is well setup. There are some major and minor improvements over the old Prototype. The front suspension is all new. The crash components of the front end will be readily available. The front shock is slightly more vertical and has more clearance on the front wheel. Steering travel is thus increased. The rear end is similar but has a narrow pod now for more clearance on the left side. The pod is moved right so no extended pinion is neccesary. No more pivot balls outboard on the front suspension. The final chassis will have four cells at the back parallel to the long axis of the car and two cells just forward with cells perpendicular to the long axis. Like This.

Exciting times. Now if Tekin and their suppliers will get their act together we can proceed to more brushless tests.

John
Attached Thumbnails Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-prototype-2-ready-elelctronics-002-resized.jpg  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here is the finished Prototype #2. We had some rain today. If it is dry tomorrow I'll put the 3.5 R on it and test it. I might race the old car Sunday as it is well setup. There are some major and minor improvements over the old Prototype. The front suspension is all new. The crash components of the front end will be readily available. The front shock is slightly more vertical and has more clearance on the front wheel. Steering travel is thus increased. The rear end is similar but has a narrow pod now for more clearance on the left side. The pod is moved right so no extended pinion is neccesary. No more pivot balls outboard. The final chassis will have four cells at the back parallel to the long axis of the car and two cells just forward with cells perpendicular to the long axis.
Did you even take a day off?
You been on that thing 24-7 it seems.
Its cool as can be but what is it and what class can you race it? Is that a pan car class?
Very very nice work.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Here is the finished Prototype #2. We had some rain today. If it is dry tomorrow I'll put the 3.5 R on it and test it. I might race the old car Sunday as it is well setup. There are some major and minor improvements over the old Prototype. The front suspension is all new. The crash components of the front end will be readily available. The front shock is slightly more vertical and has more clearance on the front wheel. Steering travel is thus increased. The rear end is similar but has a narrow pod now for more clearance on the left side. The pod is moved right so no extended pinion is neccesary. No more pivot balls outboard on the front suspension. The final chassis will have four cells at the back parallel to the long axis of the car and two cells just forward with cells perpendicular to the long axis. Like This.

Exciting times. Now if Tekin and their suppliers will get their act together we can proceed to more brushless tests.

John
thats pretty neat!! the only thing you have left to do is to add a front spool and a rear diff and make it 4 wheel drive
Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

It reminds of a pantoura car only with a suspension.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Marcos- I can add that stuff and then I will be as slow as a touring car instead of as fast as an 1/8 scale car on my track.

This car follows Pan Car GTP class rules that are already in existance. It fits all the wide pan car GTP bodies out there. It is a great platform to run brushless and Lipo as it can handle the speed even on a rough track like mine without becoming airborne. Maintenance is low, Run times are good. The 3-link with Panhard bar rear suspension lets the car punch down through the dust so forward traction is now good even when the Nitro's are sliding around quite a bit.

Yes that is an old Pantoura Chassis. A production version of this car would have a different battery slot arrangement with a very similar top deck. See the link in my previous post.

If you see a 4 wd touring car in my previous post, you are blind as a bat.
Attached Thumbnails Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-porsche-962-body-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-13-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Lord

Sweet ride. And its as far from 4 wheel drive as you can get. I guess you run Lola bodies?
Never mind you added that after I posted. Cool.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Closed cockpit GTP boidies and GT1 bodies mostly. Here is another pic. This one is an Associated Nissan GTP body that is available at Stormerhobbies.com. Or the Mcallister Nissan 300 z GT body.

I work on these puppies a couple hours a day on days when I can, which is the limit of my health. Interesting work. I snap the pics here on my desk.
John
Attached Thumbnails Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-associated-nissan-gtp-body-001-resized.jpg   Pantoura, 1/10 Pan Car, 2S LiPo, Brushless, Tips and Tricks.-mcallister-stock-car-002-resized.jpg  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 04-13-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Tech Lord

Keep up the good work, its inspiring.
It would be nice if we had a class like that around here.
Looks like a fun car to drive.
Later.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks. Here is a link to a long running 1/10 pan car thread misplaced in the oval and larger scale section. There has been some resurgence in activity lately.

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=145&page=433&pp=30
Old 04-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

John, I'll say it again, "Good work"!!! I think you have single handedly taken pan cars to an unthought of level of design and developement. You should win an Osar or something!!

Bob

Oh yeah, my I Force is still doing well, I haven't quite settled on a motor set up yet, this weekend I'm going to try a novak 13.5 with the new spread spectrum gtb esc, and 4 cells
Old 04-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

UN, pick up a used pancar on ebay for next to nothing, run it in between heats at your local track, and just watch the class grow.. that is what i did.. once people see how fast stable and cheap to run they are. folks are hooked..
Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by tallyrc
UN, pick up a used pancar on ebay for next to nothing, run it in between heats at your local track, and just watch the class grow.. that is what i did.. once people see how fast stable and cheap to run they are. folks are hooked..
There were some fellas that tried a while back with some old deltas and so forth.
I think I will keep my eyes open.
The only trouble is the John Stranahan version isn't out yet.
I never ever come in here but one day stopped in and seen this car developing and thought wow I would like to try one of those.
Getting people Enthused and interested is the first step and hes done that as far as I'm concerned.
The pluses I see are less diff work even at higher speeds and easy access to every thing, the simplicity of it is cool. Over all I would say 50% less cost to run. And with a need for speed its all there as well. Road course, oval.
very appealing class.
I used to do 12th scale. And Loved it.
I was actually pretty good at it VS. sedan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.