Wiki Posts
Search

electric motor Q's and tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default electric motor Q's and tips

i have some questions about electric motors. im not a noob either. i have owned about 5 electric RCs and race. i just never put any thought into the intracacies of these motors. i found a site that answered all of these questions and more but i cant find it now. if you have any info regarding electric motor tuning tips, ways to increace efficency, life, etc feel free to post them along with answers to my questions. the questions are as follows:

1. im running a 4wd buggy(an MRC academy SB Pro) and im looking to be able to run well on a track made for 1/10 nitro. whats a good motor that will require little maintenance?
2. if you say a 10 turn motor what wind, single? double? tripple? quadruple?
3. what are the pros and cons of running a higher wind?
4. i hate rebuilding motors so will any of the above options affect comm life?
5. whats a good general rule for gearing mod motors?
6. i have heard alot about team checkpoint motors, are they realy getting 30+ runs on a single comm cut?
7. how would a 19T spec motor be in my buggy?
8. im running a GT7 esc at the moment, what capacitors and such should i install on my motors?

thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions.

Matt

Last edited by mat3833; 08-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2. the lower the wind the more agressive the motor and single is usually used for onroad and doubles and triples for off road.
3. A higher wind will be slower but less maintaince
4. The lower the wind the shorter the comm life
5. Gearing typends on the track and wind but a rule of thumb is the lower the wind the larger the Final Drive Ratio. e.g 7turn at 9.1:1 and a 19 turn at 6.5:1 for the same track.
6. Yes the Checkpoints get extremly good comm life same with the orion V2's.
7. 19T would be plenty fast and little maintainence
8. Most motors have them built in them

Try this Motor Tuning Secrets

Hope this helps
Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

thanks, by wind i was reffering to the "double" of 10 turn double. it it the same?

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Matt, i believe the number of winds determines the amount of torque the motor has. A quad wound motor would have more torque than a single wound motor. For on-road racing a single wind motor is used in most cases and double,triple in off-road, as stated by Superkarter. You wouldnt want to use a motor with too much torque for on-road because it would cause you to lose traction more easily.

hope this helps, im sure someone knows more about this than me so if I've been misled please help out.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

thanks guys. does anyone have a website that has über detailed explanations about this stuff? im technical and i realy want to kno how my diferent wind motors perform.

Matt
Old 08-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Tech Regular

Basically saying the same as superkarter.....

Single = maximum torque, less rpm, high amp draw. Amp draw can get out of hand easily if overgeared or if something is bound up.
Double = less torque, more rpm, less amp draw.
Triple = even less torque, even more rpm, even less amp draw.

Singles are used where there is plenty of traction. Triples are used for low traction surfaces because of the reduced torque. Doubles are in between.

Gearing.....start with a small pinion, gear up until the car stops accelerating about 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way down the longest straight.

Get a brushless setup if you hate rebuilding motors. Racing 4wd mod will require a comm cut at least every race meeting.....Got a motor lathe or a buddy with one? You'll need it....
Old 08-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

i want to go brushles but i have 4 brushed motors at the moment and no $ to get a bruchless. if i could sell all of my brushed stuff id get a mamba max. i get the winds change power thing. like i said im technical and want the most in detail explanation i can get. thats why im looking for a website. thanks for the info tho, it helps alot. nobody i kno runs electirc, thats why im trying to run on a 1/10 gas track.

Matt