Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Losi JRXS Type-R >

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Like Tree52Likes

Team Losi JRXS Type-R

Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Rookie

This is my favorite TC in the market. Can't believe its still popular with almost no support from Losi/Horizon. Great to see that its gaining respect in Europe.

Thank Heaven that the other manufacturers are so blind and haven't copied the Type R design, yet (the Team Magic E4 is close)
Old 07-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hey Chris,

The FF spool is going great... since I pinned the outdives!
Now I should point out, it's not an issue with spool itself at all, the main issue is the outdrives themselves. They simply don't have enough meat on them to transfer the power of 10.5's and above... tap something, and they strip.

Paul's actually just let me know that he's close with teh V2 version of the spool, which uses new more meaty outdrives looking forward to trying that out

Ed
Paul has been doing a bit of design work recently and has as far as I know the final design for V2 spool and outdrives. The new outdrives are designed to take advantage of the new spool providing more than double the contact area for handling the driving load. The new outdrives are also compatible with the original spool and are made of a different plastic which is far stronger than delrin or anything else normally used in RC.

Currently Paul is producing the improved outdrives for the T3 so I imagine these will be along next.

Originally Posted by Yohan Hayyim
This is my favorite TC in the market. Can't believe its still popular with almost no support from Losi/Horizon. Great to see that its gaining respect in Europe.

Thank Heaven that the other manufacturers are so blind and haven't copied the Type R design, yet (the Team Magic E4 is close)
The E4 is similar in principal but in reality it is very bad. It was designed like the losi to better center the weight of batteries and motor. Then everything changed to lipo brushless and that weight balance went out the door. The E4 is now extra heavy on the electronics side while the losi is rear heavy. At least the losi can be balanced. The worst point of the E4 is the drivetrain. It has some of the worst features like 3 belts and small pulleys. Try turning the drivetrain over one one if you get the chance (pinion off the motor of course) and it feels like the bearings have binded up.

I just looked through your setup tryhard and it is interesting how close it is to what I am using now. I run Int 50wt oil all round but with #57 (black) pistons. I have tried all sorts of springs and just can't prove that anything is faster than 17.5/15.0. I'll post up what I have been running latley when I get a chance and why. Just a something I do a lot these days is tune sway bars with the pickup points rather than the weight. If I want harder front I simply shorten the pickup point on the sway bar and I have what I want with a very small amount of work. I use verniers to measure this.

Last edited by Dragonfire; 07-30-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Ohhh yeah!

Just placed an order for this TC. I am Losi fanboy, but this is a great thread with a ton of info still coming in which got me excited about getting it. Thank you to all who contribute.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

Hope you ordered from Speed Tech. They have the "R" for $340.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by FREAKAH
Hope you ordered from Speed Tech. They have the "R" for $340.
Actually I got the last one in stock at Amainhobbies. Used the $25 off $300 coupon (which covered CA tax) and got it for $320 shipped. They were hard to find as most popular places were showing out of stock. $340 is still a great price for this though.

Anyone willing to throw out a nice list of hopups and spares for me to get for the JRX-S? I have a budget to work with and I am still well within it. Thanks.

BTW, I am reading/sifting through this entire thread and getting as much info without having to bug anybody. Forgive me as I am a bit excited about my new build.

Last edited by js058515; 07-31-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

The only hop-ups you need are the FlyingFox spool and layshaft. I have to tell you though that i'm still running the stock layshaft as I dremeled my Thunder Power packs to clear the pulleys and i'm still using the Losi spur gears(of course) cause I have a load of them. I am also using the Losi slipper spool setup and it's been working for me..........so I still have the FF spool and layshaft in my parts box. It's basically the result of being lazy.

As far as Losi options, you will need to pick up two sway bar sets(fr & rr), 15# and 12.5# springs, and maybe a one degree rear suspension block for tuning. The steel battery tray is good too but I don't use it.

For spares you really need, I would get several caster blocks/spindles, steering bushings, front and rear suspension arms, diff thrust assemblies, diff balls and diff rings, rod ends

Oh yea, most definetly get the Parma hard bumper. Really cut's down on thrashed caster blocks and spindles.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Addict

Cool, thanks for the good info.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

JS, the FF layshaft is a great option part in that it's a bit wider to fit most hardcase lipos in between with no modification to the hardcase itself. Also, it reduces the need to purchase the PRS spur adapter to run a variety of spurs, other than Losi spurs, for more gearing options.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by flyintrtle
JS, the FF layshaft is a great option part in that it's a bit wider to fit most hardcase lipos in between with no modification to the hardcase itself. Also, it reduces the need to purchase the PRS spur adapter to run a variety of spurs, other than Losi spurs, for more gearing options.

I had just read that during my sifting through this thread. I just placed an order for the layshaft and now waiting for the V2 spools to be available. I love the commitment a lot of u guys have.

"I would get several caster blocks/spindles" For the caster blocks, 2 degree or 4 degree or both sets?

Last edited by js058515; 08-01-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by js058515
I had just read that during my sifting through this thread. I just placed an order for the layshaft and now waiting for the V2 spools to be available. I love the commitment a lot of u guys have.

"I would get several caster blocks/spindles" For the caster blocks, 2 degree or 4 degree or both sets?
I would stick with the kit 4 degrees... its more or less the international standard for any TC and what almost everyone uses. Grab a set of 2's and 6's to test yourself though if your budget permits.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
The usual springs rates work fine. I run 17.5lbs front and 15.0lbs rear springs everywhere on rubber tires and its always good. These are the losi springs by the way which are shorter than most.
oh,
my car not a new,
the seller come with a 5 set of the springs for me,
but the spring not a label...
so i measure the diameter of the springs....
but i not really know the lb" of the springs....
Old 08-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by YmeBP
Go to this page: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ype-r-297.html

posts 11866 and 11867

About the only things extra you need are the FF Layshaft, Mcmaster thrust bearing and a bag of shims. .
thanks for your reply~!
what is the purpose of "Mcmaster thrust bearing and a bag of shims" ??
Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Ed, are you setting your droop from the lowest point of the hubs (where the grubs sit) or on the arms a la Xray?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JRXS_chris
Ed, are you setting your droop from the lowest point of the hubs (where the grubs sit) or on the arms a la Xray?
Under the hinge pin, always I always try and keep droop consistent with ride height, so a 5/5.5mm ride height, droop would be 5 & 4. Increase the ride height, increase the droop to keep the car consistent

HiH
Ed
Old 08-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Im going to re-activate mine.

Support or not. Its a dialed car and i shouldnt be looking at anything but Type-R to run this year.

I think i have made my decision.

SO= questions to ask. What is new? The last time my car was run was at the 2007 Nats. What do I need to do to run rubber? Lipo? LMAO- i think there is still a GTX and 4200 pack in it.

Looking quite forward to being a part of this community again.

KB

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.