Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Factory Driver Salaries

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

I pay myself a high 7 figure salary for racing!!! It just looks really funny with all of the zeros to the right of the decimal point!

Brant
Old 08-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Randy Pike
luxury sweets at the Motel 6
I didnt know such a thing existied......
Old 08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

The people working for the companies usually make more money then those driving for them. Plus think about it outside of the track and the magazines being a "Pro R/C driver" and about $3.50 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I think many people forget the R/C industry as a whole is tiny. it may seem big from a hobbyist/racer perspective but there is more money in making bedpans then there is in R/C. Even for those of us that work in the industry when telling people what we do they look at us like we are crazy and often reply "I didn't even know there were companies that did that, I guess somebody has to do it.". You have to love what you do to work in this industry either that or live in an area where living expenses are cheap.

You want to make a little money in R/C start out with a lot.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thoughts

Up until now, I haven't commented on thsi thread; because what other people make or don't make isn't any part of my business. But something to think about:

There are at least 50 car dealerships in the vicinity of New york City, whose annual advertising budget exceeds the total retail value of every RC related part sold in the United States. RC racing is a cotage industry at best. I'm not knocking the sport; but we need to keep things in perspective. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

TRUST ME I MANAGE A CHAIN OF DEALERSHIPS IN NE PA AND I OWN VOODOO IVE BEEN AROUND 18 YEARS AND I NEVER THOUGHT ID SAY THIS LOOK OUT FOR THE LIGHTNING BOLT I AGREE WITH ERNIE
Charles Yates likes this.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

So I've spent thousands of dollars on this little hobby...so all I want to know is who has my money?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Team Tekin

If you're handing out cash to unknown people where's the line?

Just because you are purchasing a companies products you aren't entitled to know the employee's salaries. Why not just ask for their social security number, past 3 years W2's, mothers maiden name!!

Being a "pro" r/c racer isn't for most people and those that do don't do it for long. Most of them persue degrees while racing. Look at the most recent retiree's. Matt Francis is now enjoying success in real estate. I just heard that Greg Hodapp is into computers with his new life.

I guess when it comes down to my personal opinion, unless you are signing the guys check, it's not your business.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

These are all rumours and as I am no "insider" I really don't know, but I HEAR that for driving off-road buggies, Neil Cragg receives around £11k (about $20k) from AE and free travelling expenses from Yokomo. Others say that Craig Drescher, for his work at CML (Uk distributor) and as AE's Euro representative, he receives £30k (just under $60k). This actually makes sense as really he is doing 2 proper, realistic jobs, and not just driving his toy car

As I said before though, this is all hear'say and is unlikely to be accurate in anyway!!!

Also you must consider this for the elite drivers (Hara, Masami etc.) How much of their actual wage comes through in actual parts and equipment and the travel costs supplied by their sponsors to make it all worthwhile to attend these international races?? Travel costs would easily be in the thousands and as for equipment.......
Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

The R/C "race" industry needs to turn it up and work with major sponsors and promotors.

It's sad that the industry gets very little coverage if any outside of specific magazines.

What's even more sad is that ESPN2 is airing the World Cup Stacking Championships!!!!!!!!!!! You would think with the right setup a big R/C event would be more exciting.

The biggest exposure R/C racing recieved in a long time...IMO...was the Xmods Series that David Jun won the real NSX. That got coverage in a lot of non R/C Mags and help sell a ton of Xmods for Radioshack/Hpi.

When the industry starts to recieve sponsorship from non R/C related companies is when driver salaries will really start to peak. The only place I really see this happening right now is 1/8th offroad. They have some pretty big name non R/C related sponsors backing events and drivers.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
The R/C "race" industry needs to turn it up and work with major sponsors and promotors.

It's sad that the industry gets very little coverage if any outside of specific magazines.

What's even more sad is that ESPN2 is airing the World Cup Stacking Championships!!!!!!!!!!! You would think with the right setup a big R/C event would be more exciting.

The biggest exposure R/C racing recieved in a long time...IMO...was the Xmods Series that David Jun won the real NSX. That got coverage in a lot of non R/C Mags and help sell a ton of Xmods for Radioshack/Hpi.

When the industry starts to recieve sponsorship from non R/C related companies is when driver salaries will really start to peak. The only place I really see this happening right now is 1/8th offroad. They have some pretty big name non R/C related sponsors backing events and drivers.
Seeing R/C on TV might be good, but I don't think big corporate sponsoship would be a good thing.
The top few would earn all the money whiule those below would fall further and further behind.

Skiddins
Old 08-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

One big problems is there is no real connection with the driver and the an R/C car going around the track. People want to see the personal aspect of what is going on they need to put a face on it. The average person who attends a race rarely knows which car belongs to whom. However in stuff like cup stacking and even Spelling Bee's the viewer can see the emotion in the competitors face. Would you find it interesting to watch a race by just staring at the drivers on the drivers stand? A: No you watch the cars for many people they need to see both.

So I have to say from a professional stand point cup stacking makes sense for TV. Plus it is a very popular inner city sport for kids and I would easily say more people cup stack then do R/C. Plus I believe there are a certain laws, grants or tax dodges that ESPN will recieve by telivising events like Spelling Bees and Cup Stacking.

If you think Cup Stacking is odd how about the Rock/Paper/Scissors Championships which give out huge prize money and I believe are also tellivised.

R/C will need to create an obvious visual attachment from the driver to the car for the novice viewer before it can be marketed to the mass media via TV. If this became popular then maybe drivers would become a large enough asset to warrant a lucrative contract.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cool then we can see overpaid rc racers like every other sport... Maybe in a few years we can set up a union, then have a big strike, and put a black lable on the sport/hobby...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

A drivers union would probably be a really good thing. Not like workers unions though. More like an advisory group to help with rules, keeping factory drivers out of sportsman classes, etc.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Legend

Instead of a Union , just reclassified the name of the class`s instead of the motor deciding the class`s and racer`s experience... ...

novice
intermediate
Professional
Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We already have that......it's caled ROAR.....with the exception of Todd Hodge and couple others.....everyone else is too friggin lazy to help out.

Later EddieO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.