DIY RC stuff

Old 08-04-2006, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by XrayFK
Have you measured the voltage output?
well I have a voltmeter so I can measure all sorts of stuff, but I thought that I would need to measure the output AMPs, not volts...
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PeteB
well I have a voltmeter so I can measure all sorts of stuff, but I thought that I would need to measure the output AMPs, not volts...
You said yourself that Power = Volts x Amps
Anyways, another method be a calculated flywheel method. Attach the motor to a flywheel of a given mass and you can derive the force needed to spin up the flywheel in respect to time. Then you can calculate power.
You can also use a cheap photo-tach sensor (20 bucks from Towerhobbies) to measure the RPM under load.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Have you measured the voltage output?

You said yourself that Power = Volts x Amps
Anyways, another method be a calculated flywheel method. Attach the motor to a flywheel of a given mass and you can derive the force needed to spin up the flywheel in respect to time. Then you can calculate power.
You can also use a cheap photo-tach sensor (20 bucks from Towerhobbies) to measure the RPM under load.
Hang on a sec...

I did say that Power = Volts x Amps
I also said I am inputting 1volt, and measuring amps, to derive watts, why would i need to measure the output volts?? have I missed something?

I dont think I need to measure output volts...

Remember this thread is about building and making your own gadgets.

The flywheel method is great if you have a lab at home, or can access the equipment to machine all the parts you need... I, unfortuantly dont have access to these tools

I know some of the theory of a flywheel mass accelarator, have you actually built one that works? if so, please post some pics, and your schematics.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Nope, I don't have my own dyno built, just going back to stuff I learned in Mechanical Physics and Engineering.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

so, why would i need to measure the output volts?

what useful info would that provide?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Where does everyone get the cool red and blue project boxes for the power supply distributors? I'm looking to make one myself but can only find plain black ones.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

I found them at http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg2c.htm but then had to order them from one of their distributors.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoelV
Where does everyone get the cool red and blue project boxes for the power supply distributors? I'm looking to make one myself but can only find plain black ones.
I get mine from All Electronics http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...ch=&searchtype=

I sold over 100 of them before I slowed down my production due to time.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Drewdc90]
Originally Posted by nordheim
I have made both Power Supply Distribution Boxes and Motor Coolers.

Like the boxes, but Love the cooler even more. I have tried the same but cannot get the device lower than 16 degrees C let alone form ice. Can you post details of have you built it??

And love the tyre warmers Pete.
I use 2 40mm 75/92W peltiers attached with Arctic Silver Epoxy. The trick is to use a heatsink with a copper base as this helps draw the heat out of the hot side of the peltier and make the opposite side cooler. Mine goes sub-zero in just minutes.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tpg racer
Hey there, I was thinkin about makin a motor cooler but the peltier device is just hard to find here in Malaysia.

So I was thinkin about makin motor cooler by using copper tube wrap around the motor and having icy cool water flowing inside the copper tube.

I know that this is not very high tech and wouldn't bring the motor down to a chilly tempereature but I think it would work.
You can find Peltier devices all over the world. Shouldn't be that hard.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Here's a dude to contact for peltier coolers..

[email protected]

Just ask for a list of available peltier units, namely 40mm, and you'll get tons to choose from..

I've bought 4 from them on separate occasions, never failed me (2 I dropped by accident.. silly me)

They take Paypal, and they ship REALLY quick..

They sell them on eBay as well, but I just get them this way..

Anyone know where I can find double-sided thermal transfer tape? It'd go a LONG way to keep the unit and heatsink on top of the plate...
Old 08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Here's a dude to contact for peltier coolers..

[email protected]

Just ask for a list of available peltier units, namely 40mm, and you'll get tons to choose from..

I've bought 4 from them on separate occasions, never failed me (2 I dropped by accident.. silly me)

They take Paypal, and they ship REALLY quick..

They sell them on eBay as well, but I just get them this way..

Anyone know where I can find double-sided thermal transfer tape? It'd go a LONG way to keep the unit and heatsink on top of the plate...
That's where I get mine from. The item # is cp1-12708 on the unit I use. Mike is great to deal with!
Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Tech Addict

Nordheim.. do you just put two coolers side by side with a massive heatsink on top?

I've just been using a single CP1-12710 (40mm/85-110W) on a modified motor heatsink to clamp it on.. I wonder if I go big and get a 50mm/180W unit.. heheh..
Old 08-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

A peltier that big is just overkill, the small 40mm ones that only draw around 4-5A are more than capable of freezing, it's all about how efficient you can utilize it's power. The two main things are keeping the hot side as cool as possible, and transferring the heat/cold as much as possible to the motor. Copper is the best value for transferring heat, silver is even better but no one is going to buy a block of silver to make a clamp. Aluminum on the other hand...is pretty crappy but will still work.
Also, try googling this:
micronized steel polymer bonding agent
Old 08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
Nordheim.. do you just put two coolers side by side with a massive heatsink on top?

I've just been using a single CP1-12710 (40mm/85-110W) on a modified motor heatsink to clamp it on.. I wonder if I go big and get a 50mm/180W unit.. heheh..
50mm peltiers wont be more effective.
2 peltiers are glued together with Thermal Epoxy and wired in series. The heatsink I use is a 60mm heatsink/fan combo from Fry's electronics. This has the copper base and does a great job drawing the heat from the Peltiers.
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/364...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Make sure you use a fanguard on top to protect your pinkies
I use 1 1/4" copper tubing split down the middle for the clamp and a flat piece of copper between the clamp and the peltiers. These coolers are much more effective than the MuchMore units, especially in very warm summer temperatures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.