Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo >

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Old 11-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've used it without problem so far however, none of my batteries needed balancing. Since I'm posting in a thread where at least two Orion reps are posting, I'm not going to claim to be an authority and was hoping for them to confirm which would also set my mind at ease.

I just wanted to get a detailed shot of the harness conversion.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
are they allowing lipo at Socal tuesday and sat night racing now?
Hey Chris,

After seeing the results from the KO race, I don't think there should be a difference between running LiPo or IB NiMh. Really, the extra bit of voltage is nothing because everybody's got it no matter what cells you're using. However what did level the playing field was the weight issue and because that was teched it gave neither Lipo or Nimh the advantage.

All SoCal or any local club track has to do is to tech the weight. It doesn't matter how much the LiPo costs compared to the NiMh. Its either I put the money on the LiPo or I put the money on the NiMh and all the discharghing junk I need to buy with it.

So perhaps if SoCal starts teching weight by bringing out that old scale of theirs, LiPo wouldn't be an issue, stock, mod, 19T or whatever.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

Really, the extra bit of voltage is nothing because everybody's got it no matter what cells you're using. However what did level the playing field was the weight issue and because that was teched it gave neither Lipo or Nimh the advantage.
YR4Dude I totally agree with what you say here.
Infact if you look the BIW (British indoor Winter) series first round results (on the Mirage web site) where they are running 3 classes (27 Turn-Nimh, 19 turn-Nimh or Lipo & Mod-Nimh 0r Lipo) on the Mirage web site yoi can see that in the Mod class, the top 3 where running Nimh so it does not seem that Lipo has given any advantage here.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kuzo
MR JOLLY
This is how I have mine wired up. I tried to spread the wires so you can identify. If anyone notices I did it wrong, feel free to correct.
Mr Kuzo has it correct this is how you wire it.

The Platinum is set up in a way that it is charged and balanced as a 2 cell with the way the PCB board was designed and the manner in which Kokam designed the cells , again this is not the same cell configuration used in there 4800 flight batteries.

The center black wire goes to the balancing port which is the junction in the chain that makes 3.7V cells into a 7.4V pack think of it as a battery bar holding two 1.2V Sub C cells together.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Q)why is there so many different connections for balencers from company to company
why isn`t there a `std` connector that fit`s all
Orion tube thingy ,my guess we have to buy the orion one to do it
more money :lol
Like many things in the industry all manufactuers would like there design to be "the standard" We fell our Orion tubes as you put provide the best connection and do not have the draw back of other connectors. Our SBS Balancer which was designed first and foremost for our Avionics flight batteries was done using a harness system that was most common in that market. We did not want a harness on our car battery becuase we feel cars already have too many wires as is and having a set of cables and extra harnesses just provides a component that could be yanked during an impact destroying the battery (we found this out the expensive way). With our battery you do not have to seperately secure this extra harness nor protect it plus it allows for a better fit in the car.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Mr Kuzo has it correct this is how you wire it.
Just had to quote this as it's not something I hear very often...
Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Like many things in the industry all manufactuers would like there design to be "the standard" We fell our Orion tubes as you put provide the best connection and do not have the draw back of other connectors. Our SBS Balancer which was designed first and foremost for our Avionics flight batteries was done using a harness system that was most common in that market. We did not want a harness on our car battery becuase we feel cars already have too many wires as is and having a set of cables and extra harnesses just provides a component that could be yanked during an impact destroying the battery (we found this out the expensive way). With our battery you do not have to seperately secure this extra harness nor protect it plus it allows for a better fit in the car.
I would like to agree on that but can`t
orion have 2 packs now on the market 4800 & the 3200 & your asking buyers to make there `OWN` balencing system up which for the saftey side is not good idea , get the black balencing one mixed up with the - main connection anything can happen
short circuit inside pk ,if its a inline charging type then you be charging in the wrong wire
i have taken this up with Uk dist Mirage , to have a Proper & safe balencer available to buyers

you might think i`m picky ,but i don`t want a bonfire in my hobby room or pit area thank you
should of designed a balencer to go with your expensive batts (very good though )
Old 11-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I run the TrakPower 4900 LiPo's. It has a different construction of only two cells (i.e. 2s 1p) compared to the Orion's (2s 2p).

Specs and Comparision LiPo vs NiMH

These cells are an alternative to the Orion offering.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r
I run the TrakPower 4900 LiPo's. It has a different construction of only two cells (i.e. 2s 1p) compared to the Orion's (2s 2p).

Cheers,

Tony
has trackpower have a dedicated balencer for these packs ?? or do we have to make our own one up aswell,

the ones i`ve seen in the uk have the little 2mm post aswell
Old 11-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by r0adrunn3r

Cheers,

Tony
the 3200 orion lipo is a 2s 1p...
Old 11-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
has trackpower have a dedicated balencer for these packs ?? or do we have to make our own one up aswell,

the ones i`ve seen in the uk have the little 2mm post aswell
Not yet, I am waiting on one too...

As it is a 2s 1p construction you can easily check voltage or charge each cell via the balancing port.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

I know this is a bit confusing for some but even though the 4800 Platinum is a 2S2P it is constructed in a way that it is also technically a 2S1P as it has a unique methid of cunstruction where in the cells are not only individually wrapped but also the packets as well so this is why we chose this designation. Therefore the balancing regime is the same for both the 4800 and the 3200.

We have discussed making a harness specifically for the Car batteries and you may see this in the future however like I have stated before we have had less reports of balancing being needed then we have had of failures and the failure rate is less the 1/10 of 1% when compared to how many have been sold on the market. We could have said everyone needs to buy a balancer here is one for you buy it please chah-ching! But we chose instead to use the highest quality cells available so that a balancer was not really needed. I myself have run more Orion Li-Po batteries probably then anyone out there considering I had a 6 month head start on everyone and I stil have the first Li-Po pack we made with over 70+ cycles and it still has not gone out of balance nor have any other of my Orion/Peak Li-Po's. Again we want it to be a positive exerience for the user not the accessory of the month scenario that NiMH is quickly becoming.

Also as far as making our balancer match the worlds batteries or vice versa there is not specific law that states ours or anyone else's connector must be the standard we simply provided what we feel to be the best connector available. Again we want our customers to feel confident when they purchase our product they purchased the best.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Mr. Black...

what will be the future of lipo? If lipos goes south, I will be done with RC. It seems some people are tring to kill the future of lipos. Any thoughts on this matter?
Old 11-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm pretty sure the LiPo companies don't rely on R/C for their livelihood. You know, because every other industry around uses them. Just continue to roll your eyes at the retards that run this hobby and use what you like.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
So perhaps if SoCal starts teching weight by bringing out that old scale of theirs, LiPo wouldn't be an issue, stock, mod, 19T or whatever.
According to Jim, the scale got stolen a long time ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.