Community
Wiki Posts
Search

beginer

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default beginer

Im new and wanted to know if theres any companies out there that make starter sets that come with 100% of what u need. or if any one will sell me one or some thing.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just about every manufacturer does these days, Look for RTR or Ready to Run kits.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Tamiya makes a XB Series that consist of instructions, car, radio, tires, body and you just need to add your own batteries and a charger. Best thing to do is to visit your local hobby shop and talk to them and let them know you are just starting out and maybe want to get something that you can add to later on. Hope this helps and welcome to the hobby. Also make sure you look up anything you might need answers for on the forums if your not sure. The main thing to remember is that this is a hobby and it's for fun and always ask questions, even at your local track.

Fuzz
Old 07-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Rookie

thats the problum...i have no local hobby shop :-/...all the ones around here only sell cards and stuff.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Rookie

HPI makes many beginner-friendly kits out there. Might want to give them a try. You can check out their website at www.hpiracing.com
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sk8rdylan13@yah
thats the problum...i have no local hobby shop :-/...all the ones around here only sell cards and stuff.
Hi, I just started with RC three months ago and I bought a TT01 by Tamiya. It's not ready-to-run, which I would suggest you buy since you build the car yourself, thus you know which part goes to where and know the inner workings of how your RC works and which parts could be "hopped up" - for racing. The Tamiya TT01 kit is really desgined for beginners, but I would suggest you get the TT01R since most parts are hoppped up/race already. It's really expensive to hop up a basic kit. You could buy your kit on-line or there are threads here that sell kits for beginners too. But I would suggest for your first car to be brand new. Welcome to the hobby and best wishes!=)
Old 07-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah RTR kits can be bad as you dont learn about the car, as you otherwise would if you build it yourself. However, if you get a decent RTR kit then it will be cheaper than buying the parts seperately.

I personally have suggested to a lot of people locally to go with the Losi XXX-S Sport RTR II (electric), and i havent heard many bad things about the car. But you also need to sit down and think about what you want to do with the car.

If you are only looking to throw the car around in the parking lot then there is no need to buy a decent kit however if you are looking to race the car competitively then you should steer clear of the cheaper kits if you believe you are in the sport for the long haul.

If you are looking to race competitively then you should first work out where your local track is and head down there, take a look and talk to the people. They should be able to give you pointers on what kind of kit to buy.

Keep in mind that if you do buy a RTR kit usually you end up having to buy batteries and a battery charger, and if you are racing competitively you will probably have to replace the tires and motor.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yup, mangoman is right. It's best to go to the local track area first and talk to experts. RC players are really friendly and some even let beginners try their hands on electric and nitro kits in order you could decided what kind you would want to buy. Don't buy anything first, go down the track and talk to people (tip, don't talk to them when they are setting up)!

I bought mine for fun of it, then after a month, I decided to that I do want to join the races!