Wiki Posts
Search

Converting a BK2 to a XXX-CR

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Converting a BK2 to a XXX-CR

Does any one have a parts list of what it takes to convert you BK2 to a XXX-CR? If you do can you please inform me. I think it cost about $130.00. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks For your Help
Old 07-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I believe the core things are the xxx tranny, cr rear pivot, either outdrives or driveshafts (can't remember). Yes it is expensive to do, approaching $130 from what I have been told.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

buy a new kit unless your bk2 is brand new.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Technically you'd have to replace all the comonents with the new material would you not?

And the CR - this has reverted to the 2.43:1 XXX transmission? Is the trans (i.e. gears and layout) exactly the same as the MF1/BK1?
Old 07-23-2006, 05:01 PM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by Bit_Rusty
Technically you'd have to replace all the comonents with the new material would you not?

And the CR - this has reverted to the 2.43:1 XXX transmission? Is the trans (i.e. gears and layout) exactly the same as the MF1/BK1?

Yes the entire car is made out of the new EA3 Material. The transmission is the same as the BK1 and MF1)with new motor plate, outdrives(the new outdrives have the diff tube machined into them), and also the new rings and diff shims for longer lasting diffs. Honestly you would be better off getting a whole new kit IMO.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Todd is losi going to release a conversion kit like team associated with all there b series cars? If so when can we see it or am I dreamin....
This is also very cool thing about this site were we can talk to factory guys for input and advise. This is the best site for rc world. Thanks futureal.....
Old 07-24-2006, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 117 (100%+)

imo...you should just sell your bk2, and get the new kit. would probably be easier and cheaper.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pvtysux
Todd is losi going to release a conversion kit like team associated with all there b series cars? If so when can we see it or am I dreamin....
This is also very cool thing about this site were we can talk to factory guys for input and advise. This is the best site for rc world. Thanks futureal.....

Losi has never done conversion kits to my knowledge. And to do a conversion kit, it would be about 80-90% of the full kit... not to logically price wise or for Losi. To really convert the car, you need

CR rear Arms
CR rear hubs
CR rear Shock Tower
CR Steering Rack
Front Shock Tower
Entire rear Tranny including new outdrives
XXX Dogdones
XXX Axles
XX / XXXCR rear pivot
XXX T-Plate

That is alot, almost worth getting a kit...... I did
Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

im keeping my bk2...i heard from alot of people that they hate the chassis because it flexes too much? can anyone fill me in on this?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The chasis will flex and cause the niple that is used to hold the battery strap down if the hole on the strap is not reemed out some. If you run on a tight blue groove track then I would keep the bk2 and just run it. If you are running on a large out door track then I would run the cr. If you don't want to spend the money. I would recomend buying the new front steering assembly and purchasing a bk1 trans off of ebay. BTW, you should be able to get a good $80 or so easily for your car. That would put the new kit at around $ $150.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=tripthreat]Losi has never done conversion kits to my knowledge. And to do a conversion kit, it would be about 80-90% of the full kit... not to logically price wise or for Losi.

Had to catch ya on this one Frank.... However, this will date me a little bit. Losi had a conversion kit back in the JRX2 days. You could convert your JRX2 to a JRXPro. The kit came with rear arms that replaced the 5-link suspension, a longer chassis, a new shock tower and long shocks for the front as well as a new body. It may have had new wheels if I remeber correctly. I think this conversion kit came out even before AE was making conversion kits. Seems to me that AE's first conversion was the B2 to B3 conversion. I still have that box somewhere and think it had Matt Francis' worlds winning buggy on the box. I want to say the Losi conversion was around $100, but that's a guess as this was back in 89-90. Anyway, that's todays history lesson. You going out to Camarillo this weekend Frank??? If so, we'll see you there!

Last edited by KWHIS; 07-25-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
TLRacing

The geometry of the new car, especially the rear end is much improved. So is the front end. I would not base my decision on whether or not to buy the CR on whether the chassis flexes or not. Chassis flex is good, the car handles better with it. The problem is the the battery strap is about 2-3mm too long. File off the back end, and you won't break the servo hold down. As for the chassis, chassis' break sometimes. With the softer material they break easier. There are 2 solutions. 1. Put a graphite/Plastic chassis on the CR, or 2. Cut grooves in the chassis for it to flex, so it won't break. I have seen atleast 1 Losi factory driver to this...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

cut grooves in the chassis? where and how is this done? im just curious.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:14 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by RC Guru
cut grooves in the chassis? where and how is this done? im just curious.
The chassis cracks on the supports that hold the battery in side to side, so about 1 in. from the back battery area, use a dremel tool w/ a cutting wheel to cut a groove in that material down to the flat bottom part of the chassis. The should let it flex and won't crack any where else.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

you mean the back battery area where theres a little block sort of thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.