Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho KX-One

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have an xpress mk3 for ya if you like. cheap too. let me know.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:39 AM
Regional Moderator

babOOn:...man, it just feels wrong calling someone "baboon" .....

....anyway....yeah, I plan on trying it out at MetroNorth on carpet. I'm buying mine from someone this weekend, so hopefully I'll have it ready by next weekend.

Really, I'm getting this car as a second car. You know for something to experiment with. I'll keep my Academy STR-4Pro right there with me incase I can't get the new car to handle like I want. EIther way, I'll enjoy adding the KX-One to the growing list of none conventional cars I've owned.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

darkseid, the str4. i didn't know anybody was using that. nice car. i always wondered why it never got popular. and now the evo III is as hot as three potatos on a march evening. why don't you post some pics of that car? there isn't a thread for it is there? glad to hear it's working well.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Same here Darkseid....im going to get either the xpress or kx to be a second car to mess with. i really enjoy working on the cars to get them hooked up, and i also like trying different cars that are kind of rare.
Seaball - no thanks on the xpress....i would be buying mine from a guy i race with.
That reminds me....Darkseid, you have seen Lowrance's xpress run right? im seriously thinkin bout picking that car up to try it....but i cant decide between the two. the xpress is an awesome car but ive always liked the kx. how do the xpress's run on carpet?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

hey that's cool. just trying to help. though i wasn't asked...if i could reply??...thanks.

i bought the xpress because i run an rclab 7 which shares drive components. it came with extra diffs and whatnot. i've not run it since i had it, so i can't give a testing comparison. what i will say is that the kxone is a bit heavy, and the xpress is one of the lightest cars ever! round here our carpet with foams min weight is 50 oz! just like for the indoor champs in cleveland. i don't think the kx could ever get close to that. the xpress could get below! take into account the lower cg, and the lesser cost and i think you'll do better with the swauger. imho. it's also more adjustable, and easier since castor is just the turning of a rod. alot of guys here have been adding castor to their cars for our indoor stuff. though i think the kx has 8* stock??? with 0 and 4 as options. also with foams oneways are a scarce thing. just another thing to consider

btw - here's a link that lists alot of stuff for the kx. i had this in my favorites, but never used it. i dunno if they still have all of this.

http://www2.omnimodels.com/cgi-bin/w...pgm?I=KYOC0100

hope i'm not stepping on any toes here. and wait...isn't this a kxone thread? uhhhhh....get the kxone.... jk.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Default p.s.

have you seen the xpress car with the saddle packs arranged like the kx optional chassis? i always thought it was the mk1, but now i'm not even sure which model it is. kind of neat.

- diff > motor > batteries > servo > diff. all in the center...and all on the ground. cept the servo is tipped up.

just more food for thought.

later.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:25 PM
Tech Regular

well i can get a mike swauger roller with a front and center one way, front diff, and some extras for 100 bux. pretty good deal dont ya think?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

o yea it is the MK-1 pro kit that has the batts like that....ive seen it before. go here: http://www.rc-xpress.com/all.html

now we should change this thread to the kx-one/xpress thread seaball what are you doing talking about an xpress in a kx-one thread! man....
Old 01-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Regional Moderator

baboon: I haven't seen Lowrance run his in quite some time. I do remember running mine though(yeah I used to own one of those too! ). It was a really nice car. I had mine back when the Xpress first came out, back before the Mike Swaugger and red anodizing. Mine had all black anodizing on it.

Seaball: yeah, I've been running my STR4-pro since about the end of Oct. when our outdoor season ended. I was having some trouble getting it set up for carpet, but I soon got it figured out. The drive train is superfree and the car is a nice drive.

Heres a pic of it before I ever ran it:
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho KX-One-str-4pro_2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2003, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

locally there are a few racers that run the Academy car..and they can be fast...The common complaint about the car is the fast wear on the outdrives both at the diffs and the drive shaft...then comes the soft plastic they use for the bell-cranks..they flex a lot under steering loads...local fast guys can and do push that car to the podium though..definitely a top contender that needs a little 'weeding-out'..
Old 01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Wow... so many posts. Darkseid. Post up all your findings on the car when you get it. I am very curious about the car. This thread is getting pretty big. I wish I had more to contribute.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Regional Moderator

Leon: like I said, I wont be getting the car until next week, so it will be next weekend before I can post anything. But, I'll certainly do it once I run the car.

Osherman: I haven't had to much trouble with the soft plastics on the Academy, once I found the right set up for the carpet. After that, the "sluggish" handling brought on by the soft plastics and the soft springs, was gone. Now, its quite the "snappy" little handler! I haven't noticed too much wear on the outdrives, but the shaft drive cups are wearing a little too quickly for my taste. But with high torque stock motors and a high internal drive ratio(which gives blazing acceleration) somethings bound to wear quickly. Fortunately the parts for this car are cheap.

Last edited by Darkseid; 01-24-2003 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Regional Moderator

Got the car and got it put together. This is one sweet ride. This is the type of car I would keep around no matter how it handles....simply for the cool factor!

The assembly went relatively smooth. The assembly of Kyosho's own servo saver was definitely the most frustrating part...damn spring! The one area I was concerned with, battery re-placement, was nothing to worry about. Changing the battery in this car is as easy as pie.

Anyway...I'll be heading to the carpet track this weekend to see what I can do about the problems people have been having with the traction rolling. I plan on putting a lot of time into set ups, so I think I'll eventually find something I like.

I hope to pick up the components needed to make a front diff for it, sometime soon. Until then, I'll be running a stock motor in the car instead of mod, and driving W I D E around the boards. At the most, I will go up to a Chameleon to get some more speed, but no more than that until I get the diff! Even once I have the front diff, I still plan on giving the one-way a good running. The carpet track is so high traction that I think the one-way will be pretty good there.

Anyway....reports to come after this weekend.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Cool! Post some pics when you have time.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

dark - yes. maybe the coolest car to look at ever! especially with the saddle chassis.

something to look at. that servo saver that you are referring to. it is fairly short. of course that's all that will fit. what i'm getting to is this. this car, like a corally or express, that does not use a bellcrank system suffers from a huge ackermann effect. at full lock, the servo saver is required to rotate alot and the balls are not colinear. watch it, and you'll see. i think the car pushes due to this geometry. i've seen some running a saver that shares a hole for both balls right in the middle. some even modify the ballends to use only 1/2 of the ball so that two share one ball. anyway, i just wanted to point that out before you fret with your setup if you can't rid the car of a push.

later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.