Wiki Posts
Search

Car Running Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:57 PM
amx
Tech Rookie

Default Car Running Backwards

i just bought this car http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/A1001T.htm but it goes backwards instead of forwards should i be able to fix it? cheers
Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

take the front and rear diffs out, flip them around, and put them back in
or
contact the seller
Old 06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Also, , if you are using a starter box (the engine looks to be a pull start), make sure the starter wheel is spinning the correct way or the engine will actually start up and run backwards. I found this out with my own r/c outboard boat engine! If it is the box, try reversing the leads that are soldered on to the starter motor.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

I tell ya wat...i have never seen that before, my car will sometimes start backwards, the clutch stops it from going backwards, it still goes foward but does not have any performance at all. I suggest turning the diff ring gears around to the other side of the diff housing as just said.
Hope you can get it fixed soon, cheers
Old 06-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VoneS3Kid
I tell ya wat...i have never seen that before, my car will sometimes start backwards, the clutch stops it from going backwards, it still goes foward but does not have any performance at all. I suggest turning the diff ring gears around to the other side of the diff housing as just said.
Hope you can get it fixed soon, cheers
..That makes sense. Never thought about the clutch only engaging in one direction. But, like I was saying , my experience was with an airplane starter cone up against the flywheel of an r/c outboard motor; no clutch, direct drive only.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

It must be drive train related. Even if you start a model engine backwards as soon as you apply throttle it will either stall or try to reverse its direction. We actually use this method to start aero engines when they wont start normally. Unlike what was suggested, the clutch has nothing to do with it. The internal operation of the engine alone dictates which way it runs. The clutch will engage either way but the gearbox wont have any drive due to the one way bearing only engaging in forward direction.

I would be checking that the diffs havent been inserted back to front. That would be the only explanation for this.

Open the diff cases and rotate the car back and forward. Start at the engine and follow the directions everything moves. The engine flywheel should be turning anti-clockwise looking at flywheel end. The gearbox should rotate in the opposite direction with the drive shaft turning the same direction. This should be making the car move forward. If not remove the diffs and rotate them 180deg so that the gear ring meshes with the shaft from the opposite side.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Your not going to start a recoil engine backwards with a starter box. I've seen people try (by accident) and break the recoil. The clutch will engage in either direction (just happen at a different rpm). If its a single speed like the one in your link, the engine running backwards would make it run in reverse (but it has a recoil so that isn't gonna happen). So back to the diffs. They are not swaped front to back, but rather left to right. The ring gear (crown gear) is on the wrong side of the pinion. I have seen this on a super 10. Well, they were both on the same side and the car would not move at all. LOL
Old 06-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

flip your diffs around
Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am amazed to hear and defintiely want to see a NITRO car can go backward.....yes, I think flipping the diff to the opposite side is definitely the right direction to fix the problem, however, I have never seen a RC car that will allow the diff go BOTH side and still fit within the diff case....UNLESS the diff case are the open bulkhead style (like electric) that has no CASE to avoid the diff mounting at the wrong side...

Overall...very very weird.....
Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

In a Kyosho super 10 they fit either way. I've seen it done LOL, can't say for sure on other models.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ed Anderson
In a Kyosho super 10 they fit either way. I've seen it done LOL, can't say for sure on other models.
You all are wrong,rev the throttle servo.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Flip the body around...hahaha
Old 06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

I know a guy that had both diffs installed backward in an OFNA buggy. He was surprised to see his tires going the wrong direction, so he stopped the engine & reversed the leads on his starter box! One of the funniest things I have seen was another friend (Expert tuner/racer) trying to get it to run right! It would run, but would not produce enough power to move..
I had a lot of fun at both their expense, he he.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Backwards Vs Forwards

Did you flip the diffs around ?

I have had my engine start-up backwards before but doesn't run backwards it normally cuts out before going anywhere or i go and catch it before it goes anywhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dnitro
Flip the body around...hahaha
Best one yet!! I laughed out loud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.