Like Tree1Likes

2006 Worlds - Italy

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC Guy
Enough Drama.

Any other interesting new prototype equipment being used that was seen by anyone? I love new toys!
There ya go Lets see some "new" stuff.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

when is the istc finals video going to be out in team orion's media section? i just watched the 1/12 finals and cant wait to see the touring cars
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nc-hopsing
Anyone know how many brushless motors actually ran at the worlds? Total compared to brushed. Anyone start out with one or the other and end up switching? What manufacturer had the most brushless there?
Although I did not actually count them (there was a Japanese journalist making notes of each car) I would say that in 1/12th about 25 to 35% of the drivers used brushless. LRP was the biggest there, but also some Novaks and GM's. (and Andy Griffiths Nosram ofcourse)

In TC I did not really look into it but there were definitely less brushless systems. My guess would be about 20%. Again LRP being the main supplier, then Novak and GM.

LRP not only had the most brushless motors/speedos but were also the most active in supporting their drivers. If they needed more support, I don't know. But Bob Novak had plenty of time to read his book at the track.

In 1/12th John Orr never seemed to have trouble with runtime while some brushed drivers did have some runtime problems. Mainly in free practice and qualifying.
Preference between brushed and brushless is very driver specific. I spoke some drivers who have tried both. And each had their own reason for choosing either brushed or brushless.
My guess is that for 1/12th both are very similar in terms of performance. Can't say anything about driveability until I have tried one.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MBreve
Although I did not actually count them (there was a Japanese journalist making notes of each car) I would say that in 1/12th about 25 to 35% of the drivers used brushless. LRP was the biggest there, but also some Novaks and GM's. (and Andy Griffiths Nosram ofcourse)

In TC I did not really look into it but there were definitely less brushless systems. My guess would be about 20%. Again LRP being the main supplier, then Novak and GM.

LRP not only had the most brushless motors/speedos but were also the most active in supporting their drivers. If they needed more support, I don't know. But Bob Novak had plenty of time to read his book at the track.

In 1/12th John Orr never seemed to have trouble with runtime while some brushed drivers did have some runtime problems. Mainly in free practice and qualifying.
Preference between brushed and brushless is very driver specific. I spoke some drivers who have tried both. And each had their own reason for choosing either brushed or brushless.
My guess is that for 1/12th both are very similar in terms of performance. Can't say anything about driveability until I have tried one.

Very cool info, thanks!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up PROTOform Dominated

Well, I just returned from Italy. It was such a fun and interesting 8 days that its pretty hard to put into mere words. Wow - who'd have ever thought that this RC event (in Italy) would coincide with Team Italy's huge victory over Germany - then the overall win in the World Cup? Kinda like icing on the cake for me. So cool. I've never seen a more passionate people in my life than the good folks of Torino.

I want to congradulate Andy Moore on his impressive World Championship win. He was a class-act right from the start. Let there be no doubt - the right guy won the ISTC Worlds. He was top qualifier and consistently ran the quickest laps as well. Never seemed to put a wheel wrong and he played no "games". I'm sincerely happy for you Andy.

I'd like to express the same sentiment toward David Spashett on his 1/12th Scale World Championship. Well done David! Its always a pleasure watching you race.

On the body side, it feels very gratifying as a body manufacturer to have another 2 "IFMAR Worlds" titles to add to our list. I'd like to thank all those who used PROTOform race bodies regardless of your finishing results. In the Touring Car World's 19 of top 20 racers used the Mazda 6 with only Masami using a brand other than Pf. We debuted an all new high(er) downforce PROTOform TC wing at the event and it appered to be very effective. Most of them were lost in shipping and thus I was only able to supply a few racers. However Paul, Viktor and Craig used them in reaching the a-main. (this double wing set will be available in a couple of weeks)
In the 1/12th Scale World's the results were pretty similar as 18 of the top 20 used the PROTOform Speed 12. The racers who finished 9th and last in the a-main used a different brand. A sincere "Thankyou!" to you all.

A few personal thoughts and tidbits:
- Paul Lemiex served notice on the racers and manufacturers of the rc world that he's not just an rc master on carpet. He was awsome. Kudos to Paul for his podium finish - as well as Truespeed's Jim Dieter!

- Viktor Wilck and Ronald Volker also made impressive runs at the title. Both appear to have the DNA of future world champions.

- Rick Howart's speed and skill simply confirmed what guys like me and Anders already know: older guys rock! lol !

I can guarantee all of you this one thing: that I'll be working hard on new designs to keep this momentum going into the foreseeable future.

Dale Epp - PROTOform
Old 07-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Dale,

It was nice to meet you again and thanks for sunday evening! Nice game also - I agree... My Lufthansa plane had to turn back to Frankfurt though with hydraulic problems when we where 3/4 home... But everything went smooth in the end.

Yes, the new wing(s) worked great. As the traction was lets say "not optimal" they did come to use. Viktor first tested it on the Yoke Stratus (thats the completely yellow body if you see some pics of Viktors car). Its not a perfect fit at all but U can squeze it on. But Viktor liked the PF Mazda much better (with the HD wing) as it was more controllable etc when it "slided". And with those tyres it shure did it plenty...

BIG hand to Andy - awesome show!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Tech Adept

Default Double A-main

Only three drivers made both A-main finals.

Andy Moore 4th and 1st
Marc Rheinard 3rd and 4th
Paul Lemieux 7th and 3rd

Very impressive.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Dale, is the new wing going to be available in 200mm aplication.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daleepp
Well, I just returned from Italy. It was such a fun and interesting 8 days that its pretty hard to put into mere words. Wow - who'd have ever thought that this RC event (in Italy) would coincide with Team Italy's huge victory over Germany -
Soccer & Americans.......
Italy vs France!

Always great to see you Dale! Keep in touch for new scetches.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Hara & Moore Shells

Does anyone know what body shells Andy Moore and or Atsushi Hara use? Hara used the RI TSX body back in 2004, but don't know what he uses now...thanks.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Does anyone know what body shells Andy Moore and or Atsushi Hara use? Hara used the RI TSX body back in 2004, but don't know what he uses now...thanks.
read what daleepp just wrote..
Hara used the same body Masami used... Yok. stratus "E"
Old 07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

andy moore run the new hotbodies moorespeed shel and i think hara did in the end
Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bob33
andy moore run the new hotbodies moorespeed shel
Was that legal?
http://www.ifmar.org/pdf/ifmar_el_bodies.pdf
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default nices pics !

a lot of beautiful pics (4 albums) from Petitrc.com : http://www.petitrc.com/view_news.php?id=5787
Old 07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.