Wiki Posts
Search

stix to wheel!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default stix to wheel!

Hey all,

I am thinking of going from a stick transmitter to a wheel one, i really fancy the Airtronics/Sanwa M11.

What are peoples general thoughts on this tx and has anyone gon from sticks to wheel and how did you find the transition, also are there any benefits?

Cheers

lee
Old 06-20-2006, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

you may find the way you hold a steering wheel transmitter easier in comparison to a stick transmitter,the weight distribution being the issue
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

I would try and borrow a wheel transmitter for a bit before splashing a lot of money on an M11.

I know a few people locally who have switched to wheels, including a few people that were very experienced with sticks already. Can't say I have seen any people go the other way, although I think a lot of it has to do with the wider range of wheels available, and the popularity of wheels with RTR's.

Personally speaking I can't drive with a wheel, and I'm perfectly happy with my sticks.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:15 AM
Tech Initiate

I tried this and it was a nightmare i wiped 3-4 laps off my 12th scale ftd and a few off the tourers, i think it depends on how long you have been using the sticks, anymore than 3 months i'd say forget it!

I found the steering control easy enough to get used to however the throttle control was way out there, mor point and squirt than the smooth accleration i was used to.

oh well that my 2 pence worth!!

good luck!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

yeah i have been racing for 14 years now and race at a pretty good level in the uk,(nat a/b finals)

I just fancied a change.

Maybe i should just get the new vantage.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I drove stick and fly model airplanes. I switched to a wheel controller and was all over the place for a while. It has its learning curve. It took some time, but now I'm much happier with the tx designed for rc car racing. Much better suited in my opinion. As well the throttle and trims are better laid out for quick adjustment.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Lee UK,

Make the switch! I did a few years ago and I'm thankful I did. I used sticks for the better part of a decade and did pretty well with them, but as the competition level increased I found myself lagging in the quicker sections of the track. I was a little inaccurate in the chicanes and switchbacks. So I switched to a wheel radio and never looked back. Sure the transition was tough for a while, but I just made up my mind that I was going to stick with it (no pun intended). I'm glad I did considering that I also switched from TC to 1/12 scale. I don't think I would be able wheel a 1/12 with sticks (pun intended).
Old 06-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

People actually race with stick transmitters? Weird!
Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

It is the UK, over here the stick transmitters outnumber the wheels about 10-1.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

then again, you all drive on the wrong side of the road, too...

j/k
Old 06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Two words....Lamberto Collari.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:30 AM
X2
Tech Regular

Should have no problem changing over. I used sticks for 2 years, then changed to wheel because of more choice (especially now with Spektrum). it takes a race meeting or two to get used to it, but its not hard at all. I'm comfortable with both now.
All the people who say they cant use one or the other, i think its all in the head.
I find it silly that people still use airplane transmiters with cars though.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Tech Adept

I think that the wheel action will be smoother through the corners rather than the stick snapping back to the centre, its the trigger ill have to get used too, but im sure ill be fine.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

i switched from stick to wheel and would'nt switch back
i used stick for over 12mth and then changed to a wheel

it took a couple of weeks to get used to the change but now i run a lot smoother than i did with a stick tranny i say go for it
Old 06-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

it all depend on what you started withi started with stick then i tried a wheel but man did i suck as i hit everthing on the track.

all i can say is its all up 2 you you can go out a spend big £££ on a wheel to find out your no good with them and cant get use to them or just keep with sticks and up grade to something else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.