Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats a good battery discharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Whats a good battery discharger?

I'm getting back into electric off road racing (both stock and mod) What is a good battery discharger? I will be running IB3800's for now. It sounds like 30amp discharge is way for stock or 19 turn. What about mod? I see alot of Indi 0-30's for sale. They have a cut off voltage of .0v, is that right? And a discharge amperage of 30A. Should I stick with something that has a .9V cutoff? With a lower discharge rate? Novak smart tray? Trinity? Others? Wish it was easy as using light bulbs like back in the old days! Thanks for the help, hope I dont get more confused!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Pick up a novak smart tray and a trinity dyna pulse. As soon as your finished racing throw the packs on the dyna pulse then throw the packs on the smart trey about 2 hours before your going to charge them again. This will keep your packs in brand spanking new condition. Charge at 5 amps and your packs should be rock solid and last you many seasons with no fade. Dead shorting packs is awfull for nimh packs. Make sure they're balanced and the dynapulse will keep the resistance in the packs to a minimal and they should be very fast. As long as you keep your motor in great condition you should be fast in any class. If you want a bit more voltage you can charge them at 6 or 7 amps, but this isn't very good for the packs. A 5 amp charge is realy the way to go.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cool, thats kinda the answer I was looking for. Use a discharger to bring the pack down, then use a tray to "equalize" the packs to get them ready for a new charge. Thanks. Any other info, pros and cons to the above?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The only real downside to the method is that it does take a while for the dischargers to discharge and balance the cells, much longer in terms of the typical 10 3amp lightbulb method, but it is still reasonable. Then, be sure to equalize the pack about 2 hours before charge, and not sooner. This will make sure the pack is well balanced so that the charger can properly peak the cells and there won't be any inconsistancies when the pack is put on the charger. If you let the packs sit I would charge them up and discharge them at least once every two weeks. and let them sit at around 5.6 volts. When you discharge I believe the dyna takes them down to 5.4 and the smart trey takes them to 5.2 which is fine if you are regularly racing once a week of so.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The method I use and have been using for years is using the Indi Zero 30 nd before that I was using the Zero 20. I run stock 19t and mod. I put my packs in the tray and let them deep discharge and then put them away. The voltage goes up and resistance goes down. I keep them discharged until I am ready to use them again. I have never has a false peak and my 3800's take about 4500 mah when I charge them with a Pulsar at .10 mv peak. I highly recommend the Zero 30.